Sign in with
Your question

Dual Processor System

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2002 2:48:26 PM

I'm a starving digital animator/artist looking to upgrade or replace my current setup:

Dual Celeron 500mhz
Abit BP6 Mobo
512MB Kingston PC100 RAM
UATA 33/66 IBM 20GB HD
32MB AGP Asus GeForce2 card
IDE CD,2x CDRW,ZIP
SBLive Value
Win2K Professional

I'm looking to upgrade or replace the old budget beast with a new and improved box at minimal cost (hoping to do it at less than $2000) -

I almost exclusively use it for 3D production work and Photoshop, so I would prefer to get dual proc rather than single. While the old machine still works fine for 2D & Web work, it's beginning to hold me back in the 3D/video editing arena. As I need to put together (develop/render/edit) a 3 minute animated demo reel by end of year, I want to get something that will handle the whole process.

So, what are your recommendations on Mobo/Processor configurations (and other parts if you want to address everything) that satisfy as many of the following criteria as possible:
a.) Not overly expensive
b.) Minimal fuss with Win2K Pro
c.) superior OpenGL performance
d.) Fast as possible for 3D rendering to disk
e.) Decent performance (ideally realtime if you know of any hardware solutions) editing video

Anyone have any ideas or benchmark sites they can point me to?

More about : dual processor system

January 4, 2002 4:21:14 PM

Hmm, you say you want to spend under $2K?

Quote:

So, what are your recommendations on Mobo/Processor configurations (and other parts if you want to address everything) that satisfy as many of the following criteria as possible:
a.) Not overly expensive
b.) Minimal fuss with Win2K Pro
c.) superior OpenGL performance
d.) Fast as possible for 3D rendering to disk
e.) Decent performance (ideally realtime if you know of any hardware solutions) editing video

a.) A dual Athlon MP 1600+ should be the best bang for the buck
b.) Again, you'll have no fuss with the Athlon MP 1600+ under Win2000.
c.) Ohhh, that's going to be a bit expensive. You might want to consider a Quadro DCC or FireGl 8700 or 8800. They are workstation graphics cards designed specically to accelerate OpenGL. You might be able to find a cheap Quadro DCC for $700 on Pricewatch.
d.) You need a RAID to render to disk quickly. Maybe get two 60GB hard drives.
e.) Yes, that's more than decent performance.

This is what you'll want:

A dual-processor motherboard (either MSI or Tyan)
Two Athlon MP 1600+s
512MB DDR RAM
2 60GB 7200RPM hard drives
Quadro DCC

Now, I'm not sure if that will fit your budget or not because I don't live in the US. I know that $2000 is $3000 Canadian and that these components would cost just under $3000 Canadian.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
January 4, 2002 5:36:08 PM

if you're going to be working with mostly dv. i'd definitely look at canopus boards. very nice selection and they have boards that fit all price ranges. for you i would look at either the dvRaptorRT (realtime) or the dvStorm. i'm looking at the storm myself, it's just got more options than the raptor. the raptor can be had for $599, the storm for $1200. for a video card, look at 3dlabs. i think they stepped up their quality since acquiring the wildcat series.

[insert philosophical statement here]
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2002 7:01:22 PM

Thanks for the good thoughts - You've confirmed a few things for me
1.) that I can more easily afford an IDE RAID than I can tons of SCSI storage

2.) that hardware acceleration is still a must if I want to edit video real time.

Here's a couple of questions in response to your help

a.) Are there any Video editing boards that double as OpenGL accelerators? Or would I need both video hardware and an AGP OpenGL graphics card? If I need both, would this result in a dualhead system then? Or would it just be computer monitor + video monitor? (My only video editing experience is on dedicated editing suites with DPS Perception or Media 100 hardware.)

b.) What IDE RAID recommendations do you have in terms of overall value (performance/price).

Thanks again!

Doing my best to use computers to redefine reality as I see fit
January 4, 2002 7:16:53 PM

a.) I don't know of any cards that accelerate OpenGL as well as video (I assume you are referring to MPEG2 encoding). You are going to have to look for a separate MPEG2 encoder card. I do not know of any myself, so you're going to have to do some research.

b.) I would just use the onboard RAID in the motherboard. Also I recommend 2 60GB 7200RPM for the best bang for the buck. Any make is ok, just choose any manufacturer you prefer.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
!