What happens to Mr Athlon when Mr Hammer arrives?

Corona999

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
So will the Athlon be discontinued when AMD fabs start churning out Clawhammer and Sledgehammer chips? Or will the Athlon be continued as the lower value AMD chip? I tell ya, that'll be a sad day for me when Athlon is discontinued. So many good times... **sniffle** I still remember the first time I fragged someone in Unreal Tournament with my first SlotA Athlon700.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
The Athlon will probably last a while longer as a value-end chip. IIRC, AMD's roadmap includes shifting the Athlon core to a .09u process at about the same time as the Hammer reaches .09u.

Kelledin
[dave@discovery ~] kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
The valuse section of <A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_608,00.html" target="_new">AMD's Processor Roadmap</A> says "As market requires", which I take to mean "We don't know yet".
Maybe they'll continue to release Athlons as their value processor, but my bet is that they'll just chop some cache out of the Hammer. After all, it worked well with the Athlon and Duron.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

eden

Champion
Juin you are often misinformed when you talk about AMD.
Anandtech and AMD said that they will have Desktop Hammers at 512KB cache most likely, if not 256K.
They may go a bit with some more Athlons, but their goal now is to make a comfortable swicth to 64-bit life, with an extremly powerful processor, with high IPC regardless of a longer pipeline. I am sure it will cause a big problem for Intel as this CPU may be the start of extreme computing.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...