Upgraded CPU and Mobo, now old HDD gets BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbonf

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Hey guys!
I upgraded my CPU, Motherboard and RAM today (specifically: https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19867 and https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20138) and after installing everything correctly, my old 1TB HDD now bluescreens while booting up Windows 7.

After doing some looking around it appears other people have had the same issue which is caused by changing the motherboard and from what I can tell the most common solution is to simply reinstall Windows 7.

Now, I really don't want to do that unless it's absolutely necessary, as I want my old 1TB HDD to be my Windows and programs place and my new 3TB HDD for games and projects and such.

My 1TB is currently my F: drive and works perfectly fine when exploring it from the 3TB, but if I boot it up it will still BSOD. Is there any way to fix this without a full reinstall?

I've tried various repairs from POST screen, I've tried running a chkdsk, I've repairing it from the Windows 7 install menu but that won't work because it's apparently a "different type" despite both the CD and the previous install being Win7 Home Premium 64bit.

Solution
the easiest way as you mentioned is to reinstall. you can also press f8 and boot with safe mode so you get around the drivers and once you boot you can move the data from your 1tb to the 3tb and then re install so you wont loose data from your 1tb
the easiest way as you mentioned is to reinstall. you can also press f8 and boot with safe mode so you get around the drivers and once you boot you can move the data from your 1tb to the 3tb and then re install so you wont loose data from your 1tb

Solution

carbonf

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Regular old safe mode fails too, though I haven't tried the others.
I can easily move stuff across right now, it's entirely accessible.
I'm just waiting on the hope that it isn't totally necessary.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

Don't forget Windows ME, although it seemed like it needed it more often.

What no one has mentioned and the reason for the BSOD's is due to drivers for your old hardware. That's what Windows is loading and almost certainly why it blue screens.
Edit: I see Alvine mentioned them.

A clean install is your best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.