mis3

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
I am finally upgrading my system (Abit BE6-II, P3-800@920) to P4. For mobo, I am thinking to get either the Asus P4T or Abit TH7. For CPU, I am thinking of P4 1.7 GHz. There are 2 interfaces I can choose: S423 and S478. What is the difference and what one should I buy?

Owl

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
If your going to do it, Do it right, I say....
I'am going Asus P4B 478 pin and P4 2000mhz
just my 2 cents...

<font color=blue>**VIA has forced Me to the dark side of INTEL, sorry AMD**</font color=blue>

eden

Champion
Well if you're really aiming for higher priced lower performance, that's the Willamette you're talking about.
If I was you I'd save and get an AthlonXP 1600 which is much stronger, and costs way less. As for mobo, the Epox 8KHA+ is a good choice with 256DDR.
I'm saying this cuz a 1.7GHZ Willamette is too weak, and is more costly than AXPs, and I think most here will agree. But then again it's your choice, but you'd lose more money for weaker performance but a slightly better stability. And yes 478 you should go for, unless you want a 2GHZ dead-end. There is no diff between both but 478 is the future.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Take a look at the "New Computer System Guide" thread in this forum. It has a handful of recommendations from which to choose.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

Your current system specs are still fairly reasonable, however if you are planning on getting a P4 system, avoid Socket 423 mainboards(P4T & TH7), as they are unofficially "obsolete". By purchasing a socket 478 mainboard *I Think* you can use the newer Northwood P4 Processors with them, when they come available.

Also if you have little cash to spare, I would do some research into Mainboards other then what ASUS offers, as their boards usually come at a premium, while using the same components as other mainboard manufacturers, I have a Soltek based mainboard, which saved me $50 over an ASUS equivalent.

Finally, consider other processor based systems; AMD systems have higher performance/price ratios, though they are a little more delicate then P4 processors, decide for yourself, check out:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q4/011031/index.html