Major Bias "Hot Spot - How Modern Processors Cope"

G

Go watch that movie for the article "Hot Spot - How Modern Processors Cope With Heat Emergencies".

http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010917/heatvideo-05.html

(I know this article is a little old) You'll notice that the Pentium chips either have no thermal grease or it's very neatly applied to the slug. The AMD chips have thermal grease ALL OVER the thing. This causes heat to be transfered from the slug to the varius parts of the chip (cache). No wonder it crashed so quickly. Also, when they take temperature readings, notice that when taking a reading on the Intel chips, the thermometer is at least 6-12 inches away from the CPU; however, when reading the AMD chips, it's almost touching it! I always thought toms was a reliable source for unbiased tests, but apparently I was wrong. Plus, they only show you what happens when they take off the heatsink...they didn't bother video taping how long the CPU's were sitting there getting heated up playing the game prior to this. I'm sure it's true that Intel has supperiority when it comes to dealing with heat, but this test was a bit unfair. Even if the AMD chips would have smoked if the grease was applied correctly and everything was consistant, if they want to be displaying results like this, they need to be much more consistant than they were being.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
This has been discussed ad infinitum. Just to address one point, the temperature probe used in the testing works the same at any distance up to a certain point. The varying distances from the processor did not change the readings. I believe it uses an infrared sensor.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Congratulations you have won!
As the 1,000,000th person to post a complaint about this video, you’ll be going home with 2 tickets for a fabulous two week vacation in Hawaii!
Well done to our lucky winner.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wait... That's not thermal grease on that CPU. That's marshmallow spread! The mainboard thermal controller failed. That's why the AMD lit up like a over-loaded LED.

__
<font color=blue>My hammer has a bigger Hammer than your hammer.</font color=blue>

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
hehe, i like how every few weeks another "stranger" comes and feels compelled to post something that:
a. is beaten to death.
b. is very old news.
c. noone really cares about.

[insert philosophical statement here]

G

Didn't mean to beat a dead topic. Only reason I posted was cuz I talked to a guy at a computer store today and he showed me the video and used it as a device to push intel products...I took a closer look at the video when I got home and I saw some serious flaws...new news to me, old news to u guys =þ And that's interesting that that thermal sensor works at different distances...didn't know that ;-) But still, I find it very hard to believe that an Intel CPU could continue to be going through a quake 3 (or whatever game) benchmark without a heatsink/fan and not burn up. What really seemed rediculous is that after taking off the heatsink/fan, the CPU was only 29 degrees celcius...umm doesn't that seem a little incorrect? Unless Intel chips have a device to intentionally slow down in order to not generate as much heat.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Anyone who used this video to attack Tom is a looser, he's only reporting his findings. Since he made that video, manufacturers have changed their shut down circuit to respond more quickly, so anyonw who uses this video to attack current AMD systems is also a looser. People who have accepted this video as a simple report, and aknowleged the fact that it was at the time valid, but is no longer valid, are the only people intelligent enough to even have an opinion that matters. And those people no longer care, we just want to let everyone else know that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Unless Intel chips have a device to intentionally slow down in order to not generate as much heat."

this is also known as clock gating, part of Intels brilliant thermal management features, don't cha' love it?

please do some research on AMD's thermal ineptitudes and if you have a min read up on Intel's perfect thermal solution.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"