fatal exception error

G

I just bought a new computer which I assembled by myself. It's using AMD Duron 950 and ECS K7S5A Motherboard. 192MB SDRAM, Hercules Sound Card, and ATI 16MB Video Card.
When I turned the PC for the first time, I noticed that the CPU overheats because I didn't install it correctly. As a result, after some time, my computer freezed giving a fatal exception error (bluescreen), and I couldn't turn off my PC, so I have to take the cable off. A bluescreen also occured when my brother played "The Sims" for a couple of hours. Using Tom's Hardware HowTo guide, I installed the CPU once again and this time, works a little bit better.

However, I then noticed, I got a blue screen (fatal exception error) when I shut down my Windows. This also happened when my CPU overheated, but my CPU doesn't overheat again (I think). It just happened and I couldn't turned off my PC using power button from the case (so, I have to take the cable off, again). Could it be because I don't install other components (PCI/AGP cards) properly? The Windows detect all of them and they all work normally.

Please help.
Thank you

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
First check to ensure everything else is firmly and properly connected. If so then your hardware is probably fine. Your system could have been unstable while you were installing the operating system or peripheral drivers. Now that you have your hardware working in a stable fashion I would recommend you reinstall all drivers. If that does not fix it then I recommend you reinstall the operating system as well.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =