Sign in with
Your question

Dead CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2002 12:57:28 AM

I recently build a new system, athlon 1700+ and Soyo Dragon+ mobo from newegg, i installed everything and when i hit the power button nothing happens. It looks as if the motherboard has power because the NIC led is on and the LED on the motherboard is also on. You have and suggestions, or is the cpu dead. thanks.

"I might be ignorant, but I'm not stupid."

More about : dead cpu

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2002 7:52:49 PM

bump

January 6, 2002 8:40:32 PM

No beep codes? Make sure the power plug is firmly seated.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:
Related resources
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 6, 2002 8:41:00 PM

Probably a short somewhere touching the mobo. But first try re-routing the 4 pin connecters from the power supply going to the hardrive, etc (switch them around), and see if it fires up. Otherwise, remove the mobo and place on the static bag it came in, and use only the cpu\heatsink, memory, video card, and power supply. Re-seat the memory first, and see if it will post with just these items installed.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2002 8:58:24 PM

I don't think a dead CPU could cause the symptoms you've described.

Since the power supply fan isn't even spinning up, most likely you don't have the case wired to the motherboard properly. It could be a dead motherboard, but since it's new, I'm betting against that.

Edit: oops just reread the post, now I think I was spouting a load o BS, pleas disregard

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by knewton on 01/06/02 03:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2002 2:46:32 PM

Yea, I only see two led's on, the fans are not spinning and the harddrive does start up, if i had a bad switch would the fans still still, ect. I'm going to take it out of the case and just plug in the the mem, cpu, mother, ps to see if that will work. Anymore suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

January 7, 2002 3:26:00 PM

IMHO the number 1, absolutely positively most difficult and easiest thing to screw up when building a computer is getting those !@#$!@!!(needs some more..pardon me)@#$$%^*&&!&!())!!$#@&*!! connectors from the case to the motherboard correct. I would double, then triple check those.

edit: Also do what was suggested above..just setup the mobo while laying on a static bag instead of in the case and see if it works. You might be grounding out somewhere.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Smilin on 01/07/02 12:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2002 8:19:47 PM

well, I took the mother out and plugged it in w/ just the memory, cpu, and video card. I fans and are running now along with the leds, however i still can not get video to post. I read in the manual that this senero is either a dead mother board or dead cpu. Since the mother is getting power, looks like its the cpu. Guess i'll be sending it back. :( 

January 8, 2002 5:35:38 AM

well, actually that doesnt mean too much.

you remove all the parts, the memory, the display card and all the PCI cards and plug in just the CPU with its HSF, make sure you have connected the speaker and power up the motherboard.

if there are continuous long beeps both the board and the processor are fine. now put in the memory and power up. now it should scream for the display card with one long and 3 short beeps. its like the morse code, "-..." for display error.

if the fans are running and the n/w card light is on, it doesnt necessarily mean the board is good, there are too many subsystems on the board that if one fails others may continue to function, but the board as a whole doesnt.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2002 6:02:23 PM

well i took everything out and placed the mobo on a static bag and just left the cpu in place, to my disappointment no beep codes. I am absolutly positive everything is in place correctly. Something has to be dead, cpu or mobo i'm not sure, but the cpu going back to see if thats the problem, if not guess i'll send the mobo 2.

January 8, 2002 10:32:24 PM

Quote:
well i took everything out and placed the mobo on a static bag

I would recommend against this. Anti-static bags works by pushing all the static away from the inside of the bag and onto the outside. Thus, you actually have an above-average amount of static on the outside of that bag.

Quote:
and just left the cpu in place, to my disappointment no beep codes. I am absolutly positive everything is in place correctly. Something has to be dead, cpu or mobo i'm not sure, but the cpu going back to see if thats the problem, if not guess i'll send the mobo 2.

Did you disconnect all drive cables from the motherboard? An incorrectly-connected IDE or floppy drive can cause the system not to start at all. If you attach just the CPU, RAM, Video Card, and power supply to the motherboard, it should start up fine. If this does not work, try unplugging the power supply from the wall, waiting 30 seconds, and plugging it back in. If not even the power supply fan is turning on then you may have a bad power supply or motherboard.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2002 11:10:44 PM

na, just the cpu was left inand all other cords were disconnected, the cpu fan turned on, but no beep codes.

i was hoping it would follow the pattern girish wrote, but no luck, didn't make it past the first test.

January 8, 2002 11:21:20 PM

You say you disconnected all other cords... does this include the wire that you use to connect the case speaker to your motherboard?

Assuming you have the speaker connected and do not hear any beeps, I would recommend you exchange the CPU.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2002 2:18:14 AM

no i did have the speaker cord plugged in, but that was it. I already sent the cpu back, so i guess i'll see if that was the problem in about a week.

January 9, 2002 11:42:28 AM

Did you remove the ram....please tell me you didnt remove the ram.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
January 9, 2002 12:02:56 PM

Wy? When?

Danny

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"
January 9, 2002 12:12:35 PM

Hes trying his compy with everything removed, and I was wodnering if he removed the ram too, of course the pc wont work without any ram.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
January 9, 2002 12:20:33 PM

I think there is a beep code for no ram.
That's all he would get, and he would't be any closer to resolving his prob. :-(

Danny

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2002 2:43:20 PM

i tried w/ the ram w/ out the ram, with the w/ video w/out video, i made sure i tested every combination possible.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 12, 2002 5:12:07 AM

wow. . .. after a couple of searches i find a guy with the same problem. . . i bought the same mobo and cpu from newegg... my only difference is that i get beep codes. no video so i dont'know what's wrong. it's a short beep at first, then a pause followed by a long beep. after that the PSU cuts the power out. ive been trying to figure this out with just powering up the mobo out of the case (no vid, then vid, no ram, ram, all with no results.) i know that he video card works as i used it in my other sytem. that lead me to believe the same as you. af far as the RAm being improperly seated. that is something different. i also tried each one of my two sticks of crucial 256 pc 2100 in each of the 3 dimms and still nothing happened....
!