OMG PLEASE HELP =(=(

(ill be getting to the OMG part in one moment)
details first;

ASUS A7V266-E

AMD THUNDERBIRD 1400MHZ(not overclocked)

2x 256 PC-2100 DDR Memory

2 HDs 30 and a 40gig

Swiftech MC462-A Heatsink & Fan For AMD Socket A Processors.

i had it up and running fine installing all my stuff but it was unstable so i thought i might need to do a reg cleanup or something(trying shrug it off)

but then it starts having major probs like i would have back in the old days if i pushed my 300 celeron over 450...

so i check CPU temp and its 150F!!! so im loke HOLY MONKEYS so i think to myself "i put to much thermal compound on the CPU" so i "fix" that(Redo the fan install basicly)

its working fine for about half the time it did before when it starts acting up again...
so i check temp 152F! and CLIMBING!!! so i pull it apart to have REAL good look... NOTHING

i think i put the perfect amount of compound on, so i thought i would see how long it
takes it to get soooo freaking hot and leave the fan off(just to sit in BIOS and watch it).
(mind you i let it cool down to barly warm before putting it back in)

so i do that plug it in and go sit down(other side of desk) -now the OMG!!-

i smell the compound(what was left after whiping it off very well) BURNING so i pull a
"im an idiot" move & touch the CPU(mind you this is 4 or 5 secs after turning on power)
and i HAVE A BURN MARK IN THE SHAPE OFF THE CHIP ON MY THUMB!!!! as if the CPU getting
to 150F before a BMW M3 GTR can get to 60MPH didnt scare me the smell of my own skin DID!

what in the name of AMD could make this happen? im guessing my MOBO just cooks things for fun?
(by the way swiftech kept that THING cool for a VERY long time props to them!!!!)

also one of things it would do would ask for the CPU speed in BIOS, happend about 3 times after the firt ever startup...

i hope some one can tell me what could possible couse this. *goes for room temp water 4 thumb* =(
29 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. How exactly did you take off the heatsink and touch the core in 4 seconds, when the heatsink bolts on.....

You, are a lying fud spreading troll. Your presence is not welcome on this forum, I have seen posts on other forums telling people to come troll this forum. Perhaps you are one of intel_inside's or amdmeltdowns little butt buddies.

If you are going to make [-peep-] up, at least check your facts so you dont get caught in a lie and look like a dickless moron.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
    No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
  2. lol, something does sound fishy about that story! I mean no one is that dumb, first of all (of course, AMDMeltdown is an exception, he fries AMD CPUs for lunch).

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
  3. "... i HAVE A BURN MARK IN THE SHAPE OFF THE CHIP ON MY THUMB!!!! ..."

Congratulations, you are now AuthenticAMD! :smile:

Sorry about your burnt thumb. :frown:
  4. igel, I don't recommend you tell stories of your problems with amd chips here. It is like walking into someone's bar mitzvah dressed as hitler. You will enrage the local trolls such as matisaro and generally cause alot of bad vibrations. Buy yourself a nice, stable, p4 based system (or wait for northwood) and you will have no need to ask for help on this board.

<i>The devil's advocate</i>
  5. Did you read the swiftech installation manual ? You either used the wrong screws, or the wrong place holder things for your motherboard. If you do, there will be space between the heatsink and the cpu, and it will burn. Read the [-peep-] manual first ! If it didnt come with your heatsink, read it on swiftechs' website

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
  6. Quote:

You will enrage the local trolls such as matisaro and generally cause alot of bad vibrations.

Yup, that's coming from the #2 wanted troll. This guy whines like an 8 year old. I mean Matisaro helps people, you DO NOT, Intel_inside. All trolls can complain about is thermal protection this, thermal protection that but in overall use, an AMD with a stable mobo such as the IWill XP333 would be equally stable as a Intel mobo.

Quote:

Buy yourself a nice, stable, p4 based system (or wait for northwood) and you will have no need to ask for help on this board.

I agree there, go buy yourself a Northwood. It's going to turn out to be one amazing processor. A worthy competitor to the Athlon XP!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
  7. Quote:
    I agree there, go buy yourself a Northwood. It's going to turn out to be one amazing processor. A worthy competitor to the Athlon XP!

yes agreed, I am considering getting a northwood based system once the chips are available where I live

<i>The devil's advocate</i>
  8. Intel_inside, can you read. If you believed this guys OBVIOUS bullshit story you are dumber than I thought.

9. Quote:
    If you believed this guys OBVIOUS bullshit story you are dumber than I thought.

It's obviously printed on his name <b>Intel_Inside, Idiot_Outside</b>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
  10. as i said before i left the HEAT SINK OFF to watch it in BIOS to see how FAST its heating up... that CPU is dead so im messing with an XP now... having the MOBO checked in 30 MINS by a local guy... i got pics they will be up when film comes back from high camera with macro on... this so pathetic.
  11. let me get this striaght....

you had a wonderful MC-462A, one of the best air cpu coolers around, yet you turned on your computer without any Heatsink attached what-so-ever???? just to watch the temp climb????

WOW!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ROFL

ummmmmm... just before u turned on the power, were there any intelligent thoughts running thru your head?
    did any of your neurons tell you "this might not be such a great idea?"

to put it another way, do u drain all the oil from your car engine before u go for a long drive?
    do u drain the radiator before starting up and driving off?

i can understand and sympathise with a heatsink falling off accidentally,
    but noone will sympathise with you deliberately leaving it off.

- Know thyself
    - Seek
    - Love
    - Cherish Life
    - And do not Yield!
  12. lol, you did it it yourself then. Don't go complain to us and invite trolls!

13. I guess you never watched the movie comparing Intel and AMD thermal protection which is posted on this site. I highly recommend it to you. I guarantee: after watching the movie, you will be very careful with the cooling hardware on your Athalon processors in the future.

I just can't help wondering, what in the world were you thinking?
  14. Intel_Inside: what system do you currently have? you certainly adore the p4, what kind do you have, if ya do have one? and if ya love it that much why get a Northwood just like that to replace your current p4? Not so good is it ;)

Igel: (i think) you must not really care about cpu's if your willing to run your cpu without a HSF, and you must got balls to touch it after frying it. LoLz, hilarious i say

more bang for thy buck gives me better benches then matisaro ;)
  15. no way man, the mobo is bad :tongue:
    this is definitely the first and probably one of the few times i will HAVE to agree with intel_inside. judging from his posts, by all means, please go buy an intel based system. perferably a [eeek]dell[/eeek] or something that doesn't require touching any components. sorry man, but that's like checking the lawnmower blade with it still in running/in gear.
    [insert philosophical statement here]
  16. lol

17. sorry, added more... afterthought :D

18. (Looking over the posts again i can see it only 1 person givin me a hardtime(man things looked worse last night...) anyway i dont want to hand any bad vibes out so dont let me =)

(and yes i triple checked my install of swifttech & everything else for that matter)

Lets try this again.
    i had things "working" then it became unstable and the CPU temp was 148-152F so to make a long story short i restarted without the heatsink.

i restarted without the heatsink planning on watching it in the BIOS assumed that would put the CPU in idle if anything would. i didnt expect the CPU to jump to 150F in a few seconds when it was in idle(or any other mode) .

you see i had bin running it for HRs before it it got weird and i checked the temp at 150F!
    sure i know you never use a computer without a good heatsink on the CPU but i wasnt going to use it for anything, just to watch the CPU temp and try and see what the hell was happening...

ok now an updated this weird story.

i just got back from a local computer shop and they said(as i thought) that the MOBO should not beable to cook a CPU like that so it has to be the heatsink & CPU so i got a $30 one juust to trouble shoot with...(had them check my install of the swiftech-its fine).

well of course the $30 doesnt work as good as the Swiftech (as in it climbs in heat faster) but they BOTH let the CPU go over 125F and witch point i shut the thing down(not letting a XP 1600 go over 125F NO WAY)

so that means that the either heatsink just isnt getting enough air witch is insane because when the other chip burned out the case was open sitting out from under the desk... but now i have a room size box fan on the meduim setting 6 inches away from the open side of the case(havent put the good heatsink back on yet and its holding at 116F)

so let me go over all the facts and points so no one calls me more insulting names or a lyer(witch i will address when i post the pictures of the dead CPU & swiftech fan)

ok

1. comp working good swiftech fan on
    2. comp becomes unstable, in trouble shooting CPU i dont give the CPU enough credit for creating heat in a matter of seconds and its dead.
    3. new CPU(athlon XP 1600) only stays cool when i have an insane amount of air flow to it as in a room size fan pointed right at the open case.
    4. both a standard & high end heatsink/fan cant hanlde the amount of heat(thats with or without the case closed). unless i put the room size box fan right on it.

so i know from reading toms hardware and other sites that this cant be right...
    i have 1 case fan pushing are in the bottom, the power fan & one of the best air coolers around. this should not be happening but it is?

Is this normal and i just think it shouldnt have that kind of heat prob or what?

(Lets see if i can clear this event up(that is touching it).

I touched the CPU to see how hot it was because i know that if any part of your sys is at or even close to being to hot for a human touch than something is wrong. I couldnt just look at my screen because the BIOS wasnt up yet- ues that fast 4/5 sec and i MENT IT. Im not saying it was good idea all i know was i didnt want to have the heat sink on wrong and me cooking it(as in to much compound, or something i didnt know about)!

(EDIT: pic is here; http://www.discoagnitio.net/TB.htm )

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by igel on 01/16/02 08:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  19. Quote:
    i just got back from a local computer shop and they said(as i thought) that the MOBO should not beable to cook a CPU like that

1. so i take it you left out that "little" detail of not having a heatsink installed when it fried?
    2. i'm not 100% sure about that board, but asus board's in general report the temp 10C or so higher than it actually is.
    3. found this lil nugget of info right on amd's website (hey what do you know):
    <b>WARNING: Any attempt to operate the AMD Athlon™ Processor without a suitable cooling solution will result in permanent damage to the processor and potentially other components within the system.</b>
    i would look at the word operate as powering the system on, i mean it would be one thing if they stated, only go into bios without a heatsink installed. but they don't.

20. Hmm, this is a real head scratcher all right.

I'm not familiar with that particular motherboard so I'm just throwing out ideas here. The only thing I can think of right now is that maybe you have somehow inadvertently bumped the core voltage. That would certainly cause the thing to get a little toasty.
  21. ok... well i apologies for everything except the cracks about running without a HSF.

something is definately wrong there...

im running an elderly axia 1200C @ 1430 & 1.94v... with a similar MCX-462 HSF. the cpu puts out a whopping amount of heat, something approaching 100W according to the calculations i did, WAY more than a stock XP1600+

and its nice and stable (this is at full load) at around 40-45C, for you americans that translates to 104-114, depending on room temp. not even using the stock delta fan of the mcx-462 (the delta developed a vibration so im using a slow 3200rpm 80mm fan till the delta is replaced)

P.S. MC-462 mounting... how can it be wrong?
    4 MB mounts, with right washers attached for motherboards with unshielded holes.
    screw down 4 springs. didnt neglect any of the washers did u?

The only loyalties i have is to Performance, Cost
    Reliability and the Truth.
  22. You said fan off, but either way, you have been promoted from troll to moron, congradulations.

23. At least learn to spell "congratulations" properly before calling other people morons. Don't they teach basic words in school any more?
  24. Come on mat cool it off. You don't want to get a bad name now do ya - Leave that to Melty and Intel_Inside.

<font color=purple><b>Techie2001</font color=purple></b>
    <i>(Crazy Alien)</i>
    If it ain't broke, Don't fix it. :wink:
  25. LoL, I knew I should have taken the typing class.

I am on edge lately about these posts, since I saw the forum entry at another popular internet forum telling people who wanted to troll to come to this forum to do it. Posts like this have rubbed me the wrong way, the above poster appeared to be inciting a flame feast, I may have overeacted.

26. bump it up baby! this is too funny, LOL!!!

Intel Rocks, AMD melts!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
  27. I think you've become a bit of a hot head - well neva mind - your machines failings will soon wash ya cool :wink:

<font color=purple><b>Techie2001</font color=purple></b>
    <i>(Crazy Alien)</i>
    If it ain't broke, Don't fix it. :wink:
  28. here is a thought(just a thought). what is your rooms temperature? if the air your fans are pushing around is already pretty warm, they may not cool so well.
  29. the room the temp stays cool(i keep it at around 68- easy to do in my area =)

after looking at it and studying the air flow the only thing i could come up with is that the heatsink was pushing out the air as it was suppose to and then sucking it back in the top... and so i used some carboard, tape, 2 fans & twisty ties(5min job, wasnt about to order some fan mounts that were not going to work).

i got the air flow on the cpu/cooler upto around what it would have bin with the room size fan on it but with the cardboard i made the air move up through the rest of the case(full tower case) making sure the heatsink cant have it again & now its staying very cool(107F idle).

but now all my probs are with winblows2kkk, anywho i think its very odd that i have to put 2 fans on the heatsink & fan from Swiftech to keep it from re using the air- i can leave the side of the case off and turn the extra fans off and it climbs like before..

(oh and voltage & all that stuff is on auto from the mobo but i still checked with the guy i got the cpu from and he says its all ok)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by igel on 01/09/02 02:08 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs