72 Degrees 2 hot for 1.4 Athlon?

Kable

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
I've got a 1.4gig Athlon and it runs at about 72 degrees. Is this ok? My system :

Gigabyte 7dxr MB
256MB DDR Ram
Geforece2 MX 400 64MB
30 Gig Fujitsu HD (don't laugh)
Aopen 16x DVD

and I plan to get an Aopen Cd Writer.
Will it then become even hotter?
What do I do to get it cold? Is there any website I can visit for cooling systems?

thx

Make sure it is on correctly. The square area at the bottom of the heatsink should cover the cpu. If you re-install the heatsink, place a tiny dab of thermal paste in the center of the cpu core, and scrape off the leftover white or pink material on the bottom of the heatsink before installing. Radio Shack white (about $2) or arctic silver II will work fine. If you don't have them, install one case fan in the front and one in the back for good airflow.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
im thinking thats 72 degrees celcius your talking about...
if so....thats a wee bit too high for a cpu temp...whether its idle or under full load.
the ideal cpu temp (this is purely an opinion) is to keep it under 55 degrees celcius.
you might wanna do something about that heat problem.
if you add a burner...it will raise the temp. of your case....but probably not your cpu.
you should add a couple of case fans if you can.
have at least one case fan mounted at the back of your case blowing air out of the case (exhaust fan) and have another fan at the bottom of the case blowing air into the case (intake fan).
this should reduce you temps by about 5-10 degrees celcius.
you might want to reapply the thermal paste on your athlon and heatsink as well (dont forget to clean off the old paste first).
hope i helped a little.

:mad: <A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2096468" target="_new">P4 + SDRAM</A> = <b>BAD</b> :mad: