RAM always at 50% and above?!

Zapfinger

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Hello,

My Problem is quite simple to explain:

My Laptop's RAM is always at 50 - 60 % usage (according to CoreTemp and the Task Manager). If I close EVERYTHING that I don't REALLY need at the moment, I still cannot go lower than about 35% :fou: and I get really heavy fps lags when playing even the simplest games like Stronghold Crusader or Minecraft.. The lags last for about 5 - 10 seconds and then they go away for about 2 - 3 minutes before they start again. CoreTemp also says that my CPU is always at 88 - 97 °C which is probably terrible. The crazy thing about that is the fact that I cleaned my Laptop about a week ago and there wasn't ANY dust left in there. I even have a cooler under my laptop but it doesn't help in any way... 30 bucks for nothing, great... And yes, the fans are right beneath the slits where the laptop's fan sucks in the air from underneath it so the laptop should get cool air 24/7 but appearantly(sorry for my faulty grammar, english isn't my first language) that doesn't do much. I really need this machine. Of course I could send it in and get a new one with the insurance money but i don't have time to not have a laptop to use, if you know what i mean. :(

I hope you guys can help me as this problem is really annoying. Oh and btw, this started about a week ago, at least that's when i first noticed that my temperatures where way too high and that my RAM usage won't go down

vKxr3LV

Hi,

1- If you detailed your computer configuration we could of help you better
2- I see that you have utorrent and other program running in the background (beside time and date)
they consume ram so you shoud disable them in msconfig if you don't need them
3- How much ram you have ?
4- windows 7 with 35 % ram usiage is good, considering antivirus, update service and such. If you have 2 go and such; it's normal.
5- laptops are not that great for games, please post specs and model

Kindredsouls

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Windows Vista/7/8 actually like to load as much of itself as it can into RAM (while still leaving a considerable amount available for you to use). So its not unusual for Windows to "eat up" a lot of memory for no apparent reason.

Zapfinger

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

I think this will help you ;) http://pastebin.com/EVapgBLb

Zapfinger

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

This makes a lot of sense! I have it on 100% and my TuneUp 2012 setting is on "ensure optimal performance regardless of power consumption" so i guess i should turn that off aswell? I just changed the 100 % to 60 as you said and now I'm waiting for a temp change.. Another very important question that none of you have yet answered: Why isn't my 30(Correction: 45 bucks!) cooler not doing ANYTHING even though it's blowing cool air directly into my laptop?! :eek: I've been wondering about that since i bought the damn thing :pt1cable:

you are trying to get rid of *** loads of heat, a little more air through tiny vents under the laptop will not make a lot of difference. Sorry. It would make a warm laptop cool under normal use, but it'll only make a very hot one just a hot one which might still mean that it throttles.

Zapfinger

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

But then what shall I do to get my temperature down? Your tip helped a bit, but not a lot, it only went down from 97° to now 80 - 84° and that's still way too hot, isn't it?

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010

Either reduce the CPU speed some more or give it more air flow.

97 is just about on top of the throttling speed.

80-84 you still have some room left.

yes its warm, but its not too hot, yes it will decrease its life by 'a bit' but how long are you going to keep it?

Zapfinger

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

Ok.. but I didn't get any warnings from my Win 7... So should I increase it or decrease it?

Zapfinger

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

I have had this laptop for almost 2 years now(bought it in march 2011). I had my old laptop for only 8 months because me and a friend spilled some mineral water over it when he was at my place and I wanted to show him something and I accidentally hit the glass of water with my elbow, causing it to spill all over my laptop which turned off about 5 seconds later and then never came back on until like half a year ago and now it runs perfectly again! crazy huh? So I sold it for a few hundred bucks because I already had my new one(my insurance covered the damages :p even though it was my fault and I was honest to them and told them it was my fault o_O) before my first laptop i had a few PCs , I had the one before my first laptop for a little more than 8 years and then the power supply died and I haven't replaced it yet because that pc sucks against my laptops and I wouldn't know what to do with it anyway because I can't do my work on it(well... I could but it would be soooo slow ^^) and before that one i had 2 other pcs but i really can't remember for how long i had those :pfff:

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
The ram is not the issue. If you can add up to 8GB of ram, go for it. But you won't notice much of a performance boost. You are best off getting a laptop cooler pad with fans. They plug into a USB port and will blow air onto the bottom of the laptop dropping your temps. After that see what your temps are, if still above 70 degrees, throttle down as was already suggested.

Zapfinger

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

As I said, I have a cooler(2 fans running on max speed) and it doesn't do anything even though it's blowing directly into the notebook :cry: