Northwood 2.0A benchmark (GamePC)

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://www.gamepc.com/reviews/hardware_review.asp?review=p42a&page=1&mscssid=&tp" target="_new">http://www.gamepc.com/reviews/hardware_review.asp?review=p42a&page=1&mscssid=&tp</A>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
It looks like the Northwood might just give AMD a run for their money as it scales up the clock speeds and gains a faster FSB (in terms of maximum performance rather than price/performance), but AMD is still on top IMO.
Looks like it would be great for some hardcore overclocking.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i would have liked to see northwood get more L1 cache to be honest... and i thought that northwood was also meant to get a better peforming FPU as well. any idea if that was implemented?

ahh well... regardless, it means cheaper chips all round when i decide to upgrade :)

- Know thyself
- Seek
- Love
- Cherish Life
- And do not Yield!

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It a nice Jump for Intel. Almost Faster then amd 2000. Which could be a overclocked amd 1900. They did not say. And the test Intel did win it was not by much. But thing is we dont want Intel or Amd to be To fast then the other one. If intel or amd Had a cpu that was 50% faster and no one could get past it. The chip would cost too much to buy.

Let this war keep going With the Cpus. Its fun to watch and We learn some thing.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yep.. and i bet that the XP goes down in price as soon as the northie is released. :)

one thing i missed in that review was of the northwood on the P4X266A or 645. they only did the 850 and 845D.

shame

- Know thyself
- Seek
- Love
- Cherish Life
- And do not Yield!

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In case anyone is interested in Prestonia (P4 XEON) benchmarks:

<A HREF="http://www.whiningdog.net/reviews/PC/Prestonia18XEON/18Prestonia.htm" target="_new">http://www.whiningdog.net/reviews/PC/Prestonia18XEON/18Prestonia.htm</A>

- JW

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Yes, it's about time Intel did a little bit of catching up...we wouldn't want AMD getting all high and mighty. :wink:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Just read anandtech's spread on the axp2000+ versus the northwood 2200, and they were neck and neck, litterally dead even, amd won some benchmarks, p4 won others, and every time(with 1 exception on both sides) the results were less than 3-5% from eachother.

I think the northwood is a powerful cpu, as is the axp. Bravo to both companies for fighting the good fight.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>In case anyone is interested in Prestonia (P4 XEON) benchmarks

what a blow out but of course if it were amdzone(or any other AMDmongrel run website) they would've used the first series of marks.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

vader1882

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
didn't you see the third set of marks at the bottom of the page. it clearly shows the MP 1800+ ahead of the rest.

Oh aye its guaranteed, but I'm not too sure about the stuff inside. - Scotty

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"didn't you see the third set of marks at the bottom of the page. it clearly shows the MP 1800+ ahead of the rest."

actually I didn't, your right, strike that! oh well, let this be fodder for kelledin.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

FatBurger

Illustrious
amdMELTDOWN: (answers phone) Hello?
satan: Well, I hope you're happy.
amdMELTDOWN: What are you talking about?
satan: It's freezing down here! Why'd you have to admit you were wrong?
amdMELTDOWN: I'm sorry! I'll fix it. Umm...amd CPUs are fragile POS!
satan: Hmm...getting warmer, but- AAAHHH!!! Now there are flying pigs!
amdMELTDOWN: WHAT?!? This is NOT my fault! They hid those 1800+ scores!
satan: *click*
amdMELTDOWN: Hello? Hello? Oh well.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

eden

Champion
Strange, is that really him saying that?
And did anyone notice there are many Meltdown name styles? Sometimes the letters are caps and small and sometimes full caps... what gives?

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
OK, after reading 3 more reviews of the Northwood, I've put my opinion of it up a notch. We consumers can't do much better than when the two top processors are so close together in terms of performance.

FatBurger

Illustrious
When you log in, you can change the capitalization of your name.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>