Fried CPU...need new one

svol

Champion
Ok, so I fried my CPU when I tested my watercooling :frown: .
Think this happened because I was messing around with Arctic Silver and spilled something over the outside components and wasn't able to remove it completely, or I placed my waterblock not well, but I checked it three times to see if it was mounted right.
Anyway I need a new CPU now, I'm thinking of a Athlon XP because Tbirds are rather hard to find now. I don't want to spend to much so if you have any suggestions then tnx.

BTW - Please don't laugh too hard :smile: .

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

G

I've noticed there are a few AMD fans here who would do anything to defend their chip, including making someones "fried CPU" an example of a "foolish, stupid, or idiotic" thing to do, especially when an Intel user makes a post to that same user, recommending the P4 because of it's superior thermal protection logic.

In anycase, I believe you've answered your own question in regards to a new CPU, the Athlon XP runs cooler, and has Intel's Streaming SIMD extensions(SSE), as 2 of the major features over the traditional Athlon; It also uses the new brown plasticlike material, that makes it lighter, and look like an Intel PIII Coppermine chip.

If money's tight, theres always the Duron 1.2GHz, I believe that uses the same core as the Athlon XP, though, with only 1/4 the L2 cache.

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
You must be one of those "blithering morons" Matisaro talked about.

Sorry, the temptation was overwhelming, I just couldn't resist. :)

To Matisaro: Only joking ... carry on.

/Copenhagen - P4 Willamette 1700MHz@2109 MHz, Vcore 1.75V@2.20V on Abit TH7II-RAID.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
He admitted he made a mistake, if he had come in the forum calling amd a pos cpu and not admitting he made a mistake, then he would have been one of those "blithering morons".

All in good fun however I suppose.

Svol, grab yourself an axp1600 and overclock the bastard, should be able to hit 1800mhz with your watercooling.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
You had posted you were going to OC to kingdome come, someone said please don't try it! :) Sorry, could'nt resist. No loling here. You know: "lol" !
BTW, you did'nt even get a chance to see the damn thing working overclocked high, ah, i feel for you there.
Next time will be better :)
Remember the guy said to 1800 mhz, NOT 2000 or 2100, right!
Still, good luck there.

Danny

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"

svol

Champion
I know you didn't recommend it, but it was difficult to see if the coldplate was conatctying the CPU core because of the insulation for the pelier was in the way. I still think I shortcircuited (does that word excist?) it because of spilling some AC 2, but I found a better way of applying it now, I will use my schoolcard for it (where those things are good for :smile: ) I've tested this on someone else his CPU and it worked great.

Matisaro: Tnx for the info, I was thinking of buying it too.

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
"shortcirciuted" seems ok.
"shorted out" is also good.
Don't know anything about AC2 (artic silver cooling paste, right?). Don't overclock much.
Still, good luck if you go with 1800XP :)

Danny

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"

svol

Champion
Little mistyping of mé: it's AS and not AC, but you're right.
Arctic Silver isn't made to conduct electricity but it there was to much of it near one of the bridges or components on the surface of the CPU then it might shortcircuit, but it also could be that the waterblock wasn't mounted right; as I said it was very difficult to see if it was mounted right.

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you really want a tbird, I have an extra 1400. AYHJA core.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

svol

Champion
Depends on how much it will cost and if you're able to ship it to The Netherlands (Europe). Think Tbirds are pretty good for overclocking and they are easy to unlock.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hehe

honest mistakes i can handle... and yes, that arctic silver can be nasty in the wrong place.

alot better than the other post i read today, some twit taking off his mc-462a and booting up "just to see how quickly it got hot"

lol

- Know thyself
- Seek
- Love
- Cherish Life
- And do not Yield!