Hello, my Dell Vostro 1500 is on it's last leg and I need to buy a new laptop in the next week.
1. What is your budget? up to $1000
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.5” or 17.3” I would prefer a 17.3” without the number keypad, but can’t find one
3. What screen resolution do you want? doesn’t matter
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? desktop replacement
5. How much battery life do you need? at least 2 hours
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) I will be using this for my work computer and need to have multiple web pages open (as many as 20), as well as multiple word and pdf documents (as many as), email, a chat window, RootsMagic, and PAF at the same time. I also need to be able to do photo scanning and photo editing with Adobe Photoshop CS4, but don’t normally have all the other programs running when I’m working with photos.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 500 GB or more.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Doesn’t matter
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 1 to 2 years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD burner
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I have always had Dell laptops, but would be willing to try others.
13. What country do you live in? USA
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. I do not want a laptop with the number keypad on the side. I would like a laptop that starts programs quickly, switches between browser windows quickly, and saves downloaded census images quickly. I’m not sure if 3 MB of cache is enough for what I need or if I need to go with 6 MB. I’m also wondering if an i5 is enough or if I need the i7.
Cloudy, the Asus laptop you found has a i7 640... One of the weakest Core i7's, the one I found, is more expensive, but the processor is a current and fast CPU. What advantage does it have to the Samsung I found on Amazon?