Corect Bios Settings for XP 1800+

davess4

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
Well I was wondering what the right settings for an AMD athalon XP 1800+ are? like vcore settings ect?

I installed my mobo monitoring software and the +12 alarm keeps going off... I am not sure why. Anyone know what I should set the bios to?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
simple.
vcore should be 1.75v.
typically though setting vcore to 1.75 actually gives something somewhat higher, as most motherboard makers overvoltage the cpu a little for added stability.

if your +12V alarm is going of it could be one of the following problems:

A. the monitoring software is crap! (especially in the case of asus probe) and is miss reporting the voltages or dropping out randomly.

B. the limits are set too sensitive, and what you are seeing is normal fluctuations. if your computer is stable, its NOT a problem.

C. PSU is supplying the wrong voltage. can happen. generally the lower quality the PSU the more variable the voltages. also, poor quality PSU's may have troubles supplinging enough reliable power (see point D.)

D. Weak Generic (crap) PSU unable to supply a stable reliable voltage. this is less of an issue on the +12v line... to check this, watch your +3.3v line when running CPU intensive applications. excessive voltage drop on this line (down below 4.75v) indicates an insufficient PSU.

before you do anything, i strongly suggest you download motherboard monitor. a great (and free) program for monitoring your system :).
alot more reliable than some of the generic monitoring programs too.

- Know thyself
- Seek
- Love
- Cherish Life
- And do not Yield!

davess4

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
Ok, but ahh.. My motherboard doesn't have a 1.75v setting..
should I put it on +0.075? or +0.100? those are the highest. And what is the +12 setting or alarm or whatever. cause I thought that was the problem, see when I set my frequency to 133, the system locks up completly almost every time within 5 minutes. Any ideas?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well the default of zero should be 1.75v.
so +0.075 and +0.1 will give you 1.825v and 1.85v respectively.

(assuming it says Vcore and not something like VIO) - VIO is the ram voltage.

i have seen a few examples of what you seem to be getting... people unable to run at 133FSB.

a common issue it seems.

you can try to use a raised voltage, though i suggest you get the latest bios update first, and try a couple of other things first like do a search in the CPU area for the 100/133FSB issue.

have to ask though:
what are your voltages???
tell me what your 3.3v, 5v and 12v are like.
if you dont know, download motherboard monitor and find out.

The only loyalties i have is to Performance, Cost
Reliability and the Truth.

davess4

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
CPU temp: 39-41C
VCORE: 1.76V default :)
VCC2.5: 2.46V
VCC3: ~3.31V
+5: 4.99V
+12: 12.22V
-12: (-9V)- (-19V) [all over the place]
-5 -5.25V

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmmm
all the voltages seem ok, except of course for your -12v
i really dont know why its doing that, and it IS way too much.
what program did u use to obtain these? have u tried motherboard monitor yet?

davess4

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
Ya I tried MBM4 I coudln't get it to register with my mobo right... I got those with the software that came with my mobo. It may be messed though. I am using CPUCool now, and that seems to say it is staying between -8.5 to -9.5 at most.. but mostly around -8.9. I have a soyo dragon+ if that helps any.. Anyways my system seems to be running ok at 133FSB.. I guess I am just still unsure which settings are the best to run it on.. I mean what does setting the core frequency higher do?
and setting the CPU ratio?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well try the latest version from the mbm web site, version 5.1 i think... and dont run 2 monitoring programs at once. i had terrible conflicts trying that.

u mean core frequency or voltage?

the fsb should be either 100 or 133. changing this makes your computer faster, but this is overclocking and can cauze problems for the inexperienced. so u dont need to change that unless u want to overclock.
as for the chip, itself determines the multiplier to use as default (i.e. 10.5 for 1400mhz etc). on most chips you cant change the multiplier anyway, as it is LOCKED.

raising the core voltage is a well known way to get better stability. the downside of course is the increased heat output and thus slightly higher temps.

davess4

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
Thanks. I will get an update.
Things have been a lot more stable the past day or two. I am not sure why. Your help has been.. well helpfull :)
Thanks for the advice :)