Sign in with
Your question

[ADVICE] Where to go...

Tags:
November 25, 2012 9:56:21 PM

Greetings, Tom's Community.

Long time troll looking to make some big changes in his life, but first, a bit of background;

I am 24 years old and currently in a bit of a life situation... I am looking to change careers, but not sure where to go.

I have been in love with PC, specifically hardware, since I built my first P2 in 1996, and after a long period of screwing around, trial and error etc etc, I have decided that I want to dedicate my life toward being a glorified hardware junkie. Overclocking, building systems for friends, pushing hardware to its limits... All of these things... What I live for when it comes to PCs.

I have several career options open to me at the moment, namely, my current role as the principal DCS operator at a Paper Mill, which I have been working at for about 6 years now, as well as being recommended as an Officer in the Australian Army.

Which leads me to my question;

I am a hardware junkie, I absolutely love taking apart PCs, getting in there, cleaning, and the science behind how and why they work, thermodynamics, physics, termination processes etc. I don't go much on programming, as such. I have dabbled in learning a few simple languages for fleeting interest in game development, but nothing serious.

If I were to take charge, and be the guy that works on the hardware for the rest of his life, you know the one; In the basement, electronic music blasting, screwdriver in hand, parts everywhere, maybe even get into the design of silicon or things like that, which would be the correct education to go for? Computer Science? Electrical Engineering?

Any and all advice, contributory or otherwise, would be appreciated, and if any working professionals who were of the same mind set when they were my age, or any aspiring nuts themselves would like to comment, it would be awesome to hear your responses.

Thank you in advance.

More about : advice

!