What can I do with a Palm m105 and a V.90 ClipModem?

April 9, 2005 3:46:05 AM

Hello!

So, I just picked up a V.90 ClipModem for my little m105 on eBay for
US$1.50 plus $6.50 shipping. He still has several left (36 as of the
time of this posting) for anyone who is interested -- just do a search
for m105 and Modem on eBay, or go here directly:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&it...

Anyway... What will I be able to do with it once it arrives? :-)

The m105 has PalmOS 3.5 in ROM. It seems to have a TCP/IP stack with
PPP capabilities, so I hope I'll be able to find a telnet or ssh client
somewhere and log into my ISP's shell server. Is that reasonable?

Once I get into the shell, I'd have access to Pine, Links, slrn, and
all kinds of other nifty stuff. Probably not all on the same screen,
though, huh? :-( Hmmm.

Will programs like AvantGo act like a real browser over a PPP link, or
are they strictly offline web harvesters/viewers?

Any m105 networking advice is appreciated! Thanks!

--
-Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

More about : palm m105 clipmodem

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 3:58:58 AM

Here in comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,
rsteiner@visi.com (Richard Steiner) spake unto us, saying:

>Anyway... What will I be able to do with it once it arrives? :-)

I was just able to answer some of my own questions.

I was correct -- the ROM version of PalmOS 3.5 that comes bundled with
the Palm m100/m105 has a TCP/IP stack with PPP and either PAP or CHAP
(not sure which it's using) included.

I was able to dial into my ISP and negotiate a PPP connection using the
ClipModem, and then I used a nifty freeware program called ptelnet:

http://netpage.em.com.br/mmand/ptelnet.htm

to telnet to my ISP's shell account. Using ptelnet's 40x25 screen, I
was able to use the unix prompt and Pine with very little difficulty
(though using Pine via Graffiti was kind of surreal).

Frankly, I'm impressed with this little device's usefulness as a PPP
client. The screen is small with that tiny font, but it's workable.

Next step -- finding a good free web browser (I didn't like using links
or lynx via ptelnet -- too confusing!)

--
-Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 11:49:57 AM

In article <Ce0WCpHpvW4I092yn@visi.com>, Richard Steiner wrote:
> Frankly, I'm impressed with this little device's usefulness as a PPP
> client. The screen is small with that tiny font, but it's workable.

With a Handera and a WiFi card, it's pretty nice. You can even have
a keyboard hooked up. :->

> Next step -- finding a good free web browser (I didn't like using links
> or lynx via ptelnet -- too confusing!)

You'd probably like the Eudora Internet Suite, does about what lynx/links
does (text browsing) but native to the Palm.

http://www.eudora.com/products/unsupported/internetsuit...

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

If you get an email that says, "FORWARD THIS IMMEDIATELY TO ALL
YOUR FRIENDS, *RIGHT NOW*!", don't. It's a hoax, I guarantee it.
- Me
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 4:02:43 AM

Here in comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,
Ray Ingles <sorceror@dmc22317.local> spake unto us, saying:

> With a Handera and a WiFi card, it's pretty nice. You can even have
> a keyboard hooked up. :->

Yeah, that's something I can't do. Sooner or later I'm be getting a
Libretto, though, and that'll change things. :-)

>> Next step -- finding a good free web browser (I didn't like using links
>> or lynx via ptelnet -- too confusing!)
>
> You'd probably like the Eudora Internet Suite, does about what lynx/links
> does (text browsing) but native to the Palm.
>
> http://www.eudora.com/products/unsupported/internetsuit...

I should probably check it out, but I've already found two browsers I
really like, both of them called "Palmscape".

The first is Palmscape 3.1.3E, now rebranded as Xiino, a very nice
little graphical browser. I suspect I'm gonna register it if I can
(Xiino will also run under PalmOS 3.5, but it's also larger, and I
only have 8MB to play with and no expansion slots).

The second is Palmscape 5.0.a4, a text-only browser which seems to work
very well, but it doesn't do images and misrenders a lot of newer HTML.

Eudora's suite is next on my list. :-)

--
!