Sign in with
Your question

IE6 Freezing Notebook

Last response: in Windows XP
February 4, 2003 1:33:23 AM

Unusal problem with IE6. It freezes once in a while while a new browser page is loading. The Notebook freezes and requires a manual power shut down to unlock. (hold power button down 4 seconds)
My notebook is a Dell Inspiron 8100 using a PIII 1.13 cpu and 256MB of PC133. WinXP Pro and Office XP are the main programs installed along with Visual Basic.NET and Frontpage.
My notebook is setup as server to facilitate the complete function of Visual Basic.NET and Frontpage.
I also have Norton System Works installed. Norton Antivirus is set to start automatically and the System Utilities are user defined. They only load when selected.
I have reformated and reinstalled all my software. Including all Windows Updates, Office Updates, driver updates and Norton updates.
When IE freezes the notebook no software or hardware error logs are reported. This is making it difficult to pinpoint the problem. The notebook appears it is running out of memory. When the notebook freezes I cannot open task manager but seems like the cpu loads up to 100%.
When IE6 is open I have over 70MB of RAM available. It seems like the swap file is never used. In MSCONFIG there are less than 12 programs loading at startup. The programs are necessary for the basic function I need at start up.
I have run WinXP diagnostic and no errors in the registry or WinXP program were found.
Other than IE6 freezing once in a while I do not have any other problems. The notebook runs fast and appears to be stable. Prior to reformating I could not get the screen saver and monitor shut down and hibernation to work. That problem is corrected.
Since no error logs are generated for software or hardware when IE6 freezes I don't know what else to look for.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>

More about : ie6 freezing notebook

February 4, 2003 11:27:53 PM

Disable sounds, uninstall Norton, if not ...reinstall XP, don't install any Norton stuff.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
February 5, 2003 4:17:39 AM

I have experienced a similiar problem on my main system. The anomoly seems to occur whenever WinXP attempts to auto update itself. By disabling auto-update, the problem seemed to disapeer. Furthermore, when I attempt to download a new update from Microsoft, manually, it locks up also. So I have been ordering my updates on CD.

It shame to, because my experience with XP has been almost flawless.

--Matt

If I paid as much attention to people as I do computers I would be married.
Related resources
February 6, 2003 2:30:30 AM

That sounds like a possible cause for the problem.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
February 6, 2003 4:05:03 AM

I've become a firm believer in Norton Antivirus, but there is no reason to use System Works. In the old days it was useful but not so much anymore. Just run Antivirus. If you run into a situation where you really need the tools in System Works, you can always install it at that time.

As for the lockups, I occasionally have a IE6 lockup problem but never to the extent of freezing the machine completely. Strange.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --
February 8, 2003 5:39:11 AM

Norton Antivirus loads on startup.
Norton Utilities does not. I use the clean sweep, registry repair and defragmentor utilities. These only load when I open the program they are not set to load at start up.

I believe my problem is caused by one of the security updates I installed for IE6.
The problem happens once a day. Oddly though it hasn't been happening lately.
It's really frustrating because no error logs are generated when the system freezes so I can not determine if I have a hardware or software problem.
Also I find it odd that Dell has not replied to my query I sent over a week ago to their Technical Support.

!