Tusck

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
I just built a computer with the following:
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
Gigabyte HD 7850 2GB GDDR5
GSkill DDR3-1600 4096MBx2 F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
AMD PH II X4 965 3.4G AM3

I have a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. The only things I have on the computer is Steam, Skyrim, MSE, and Chrome. I've updated Windows using Windows Updater, and my video drivers are up to date. I've not touched any other drivers. Sometimes my computer freezes, and sometimes it just randomly restarts. I'm not getting any BSOD. It has restarted when I'm on the computer playing a game, when I'm just on the net, or when I'm not doing anything at all and I'm away from the computer.

I've tried the following:
System file checker - nothing found
Seatool for Windows (HDD checker for my Seagate HDD) - nothing found
Microsoft Fix It - nothing found
Memtest86 - ran for 8 hours, 13 total passes completed without error

I have no idea where to go from here. Over the last 10 years, everytime I've had a harfware problem, I've always gotten BSOD, so I have no idea what to do about random freezing or restarts.

PLEASE HELP! lol

Thanks guys

Tusck

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
I had my first BSOD 0x000003B System Service Exception. Unfortunately I was not set up for minidumps.

Throughout my research, I've also seen people fix their problems by:

1. upgrading mouse/keyboard - mine are very old, would this cause a problem?
2. Overheating - I don't know my temps, and I only have 1 fan

Now that I have a BSOD, I'm leaning more towards this being bad memory, which replacing the sticks has fixed everyone one of my problems on every other comp I've had.

I just moved my two stick from channel 1 and 3 (as recommended by my MD manual) to 2 and 4 to see if it makes a difference.

Also, I spent some time in Safe mode and have yet to have a freeze, restart or BSOD in safemode.

Tusck

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
So last night I had taken advice to increase the NB voltage +.10, which I did, and then started getting these BSOD (2 of them) but I also got zero freezes and restarts. Also the experiment of trying different channels did not work. My next step is to put in the memory from my other computer, which is completely stable, so if if that fixes the problem.

Also, does anyone think I should attempt to update my BIOS to the newer version? With the crashing I'm worried about attempting it.

Thoughts on the process so far?