Which RAM will suit more for overclocking P4 NW

xcom_cheetah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
Although there is not much i have been able to read abt the overclocking... to be honest most of the reviews i read abt P4 NW, felt to me as written in a hurry.. so i want to know which RAM seems to do better in overclocking.? and also which RAM scale more linerly performancewise in overclocking ..??
i feel RDRAM + i850 is doing better than
PC2100 + i845 or SIS 645
haven't read anything abt
PC2700 + SIS 645 and overclocked to say 2.5+ GHz
Thanks

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
If you are going to overclock the processor, there actually is no need to overclock the memory as well. Grab an Asus P4T-E motherboard, a couple 256MB (or 128MB) Samsung PC800 RDRAM modules, and a 2GHz or 2.2GHz (depends on your budget) Northwood Pentium 4.

First test it out at default speeds to ensure it works correctly. Start out your overclocking with the RDRAM multiplier set down to 3x. Make sure you have adequate cooling and set your FSB to 533MHz. Also set your AGP and PCI dividers to the 1/4 divider to keep them in spec. Now, try booting it up. If it does not boot up, hit the reset button, go into BIOS setup, increase the Vcore (voltage) one notch, and try again. Eventually it will work. You may have to increase it another notch if it seems unstable when running software. (Just because it boots Windows does not mean it is fully stable at that voltage.)

Congratulations. You now have a Pentium 4 2.67GHz. :)

Once you get this far you can attempt to overclock the memory if you want. This requires setting the RDRAM multiplier back at 4x. Only do this once your system is already stable at a 533MHz FSB. (Overclock one thing at a time.) Your results on RDRAM overclocking will vary, depending on the quality of your Direct Rambus Clock Generators on your motherboard. Again, this part of the overclocking is totally optional.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

xcom_cheetah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
But i think that its better running the FSB at 120MHz x 4 with RDRAM clock at 480x2 than running the FSB at 533 and RDRAM at 400x2 Mhz.. u must have understand that i wand both my RAM and FSB running at same speed. or more directly i want to overclock both of them simultaneously... i will be getting hopefully 2.0A .. if i do the same thing with SIS 645 motherboard running the SDRAM at something 380+ Mhz and increasing the FSB simulataneously too.. wot will be the result.. (i think memory is async in the case of SiS 645 chipset) so may be it will not produce better result..

wot do u say..??

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think what Raystonn is talking about, you shouldn't be hitting a memory bandwidth limitation on PC800 yet, overclocking it will probably give you lower latency(in real time, not clock cycles) but beyond that, I don't know that you'll notice a huge difference.
As he said above, Samsung is highly recommended. I've heard of quite a few people taking it to 1066.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Raystonn, how's the TH7-II for letting the RDRAM hit 533? That's the board I'll probably be getting.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
I would recommend staying away from it for a while, until the reported Northwood Vcore 1.65V max. setting issue has been verified by Abit. As you see my P4 Willamette still enjoys max. 2.20V setting with the newest BIOS, which is absolutely necessary to clock the baby really high.

If the 1.65V rumour is true, the best Northwood RDRAM board would be ASUS P4T-E.

/Copenhagen - P4 Willamette 1700MHz@2109 MHz, Vcore 1.75V@2.20V on Abit TH7II-RAID.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
But i think that its better running the FSB at 120MHz x 4 with RDRAM clock at 480x2 than running the FSB at 533 and RDRAM at 400x2 Mhz.. u must have understand that i wand both my RAM and FSB running at same speed. or more directly i want to overclock both of them simultaneously... i will be getting hopefully 2.0A .. if i do the same thing with SIS 645 motherboard running the SDRAM at something 380+ Mhz and increasing the FSB simulataneously too.. wot will be the result.. (i think memory is async in the case of SiS 645 chipset) so may be it will not produce better result..
The post I made shows you how to overclock your processor and then your memory. You will likely get best results follow that information and then performing some additional overclocking of the FSB afterward. I would recommend the following:

1) Follow my directions to obtain a 533MHz FSB. If for some reason this does not work, set your RDRAM multiplier back to 4x, your FSB back to 400MHz, and go straight to step 3.
2) Try the memory overclock I mentioned above, which is done by setting the RDRAM multiplier back up to 4x. If that works then you are done, otherwise set it back to 3x and go on to step 3.
3) Start increasing the FSB a bit at a time. This will overclock your processor even more (likely requiring more Vcore) and will also overclock your memory, AGP bus, and PCI bus. Note that it is dangerous to overclock your AGP and PCI buses, and therefore this step is not really recommended unless you really want to push your system and take some chances.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Raystonn, how's the TH7-II for letting the RDRAM hit 533? That's the board I'll probably be getting.
The main problem with this motherboard is the lack of higher voltages. This affects your ability to run the processor on a 533MHz FSB. This FSB is required before even trying to overclock your memory.

As far as how well it actually does it, I have no information on that. Most people I know who are doing this are actually using the Asus P4T-E. One nice thing about the Abit board is that if you cannot reach the 533MHz FSB or you cannot run your memory at PC1066, then you can lock your AGP and PCI buses and follow step 3 from my last set of directions (pushing up the FSB slowly) without any danger of overclocking the PCI/AGP.

-Raystonn

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
<blockquote><font size=1>Svar på:</font><hr><p><i>"From AcesHardwares P4 review."</i>
Looking at the pure numbers you might think that Intel Northwood chip is a bit of a failure, as even at 2.2 GHz it is hardly faster than the Athlon XP, and quite a few times, in fact, it is slower. It must be said, however, that the Northwood chip overclocks very well. The 2.0 GHz Northwood was able to achieve 2.3 GHz at 1.6V (115 MHz FSB), and it was able to run at 2.4 GHz at 1.7V (120 MHz FSB). The Northwood 2.2 GHz was able to reach 2.53 GHz (115 MHz FSB) at 1.65v and 2.574 GHz at 1.7V. I am sure you will read of much more spectacular overclocks on the Internet, but note that 1.7V is already to much for a 0.13-micron chip.

In fact, did you know that these kinds of overclocks (voltage >110%, clockspeed >115%) are used to evaluate the durability of a CPU? CPUs that can last 10 years or more at their normal voltage, should be able to live a few weeks at these kinds of voltages. Don't use such high voltages (>1.65v) when overclocking because the finer the process, the fewer the number of atoms are used to make a transistor and the more likely it becomes that electromigration damages your chip. <p><hr></blockquote><p>Looks like we have an indication why Abit has lowered the max. Vcore setting to a measly 1.65V. Apparently ASUS sees it a bit differently. The high 2.20V setting Abit allows for the P4 Willamette should also then be clearly shortening the life of the CPU.

/Copenhagen - P4 Willamette 1700MHz@2109 MHz, Vcore 1.75V@2.20V on Abit TH7II-RAID.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Hmm...CPU life span of a few weeks? Maybe I'll wait and see if that becomes true or not. We'll see.
Thanks, Copenhagen and Raystonn.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
the fewer the number of atoms are used to make a transistor and the more likely it becomes that electromigration damages your chip.

Transistors dont electromigrate LOL

::shakes head:: they have the point right, just the wrong die feature to worry about, its the ic lines that electromigrate heh.

Just correcting them.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

xcom_cheetah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
u never suggest to use DDR based board with P4. is it u r wary of their performance or u feel that P4 fit only with RDRAM.. actually all the reviews which i have read so far have overclocked with DDR based board.. so one thing is confirm that DDR based MB will not disappoint in overclocking... and the performance which i have seen is like 2.2 GHz + DDR == 2.1 GHz + RDRAM.
so theres not much difference.. so the real question is that well can DDR based board and RAM can overclock more than i850+RDRAM ..??

wot do u say

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
There are RDRAM motherboards, such as the Abit TH7II, which will allow you to overclock the processor via the FSB while leaving the PCI and AGP buses at normal specifications. You can overclock the FSB to a 533MHz FSB while still running memory at PC800, using the 3x memory multiplier. The only real reason to use DDR SDRAM would be to save a few bucks.

-Raystonn

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
True, but hating a company makes little sense in my mind. If they do something illegal, the courts smack them down. I just go for the best technology and let the courts deal out justice.

-Raystonn

FatBurger

Illustrious
I agree. But I will refuse to buy products because companies always overcharge for crap. Not to mention any names (Creative Labs).

xcom_cheetah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
I think i should better start doing reviews myself..:)) yea i definitely want to save some money.. but the prices of the two RAMs are almost equal.. its the motherboard that is expensive.. doing with the SIS 645 i can save quite a lot.. i have a budget of around $800-900 MAX.. and i want CPU, RAM, MB, MONITOR (costing $250 Max) and GPU (i m currently using TNT 2 M64).. and if i use this with my P4 1.8 than i think i will be the dumbest man on the earth..:) i think i will get something like MX400, or GEforce 2. i think i will get 1.6A with abit TH7 II board and 512 MB RAM + 250 for monitor and + 125 for GPU and it cost around $850. but i want to squeeze 1.8A in my system but in that case its goes out of my budget.. so i m a little undecided..