Sign in with
Your question

Athlon XP woes!!!

Last response: in CPUs
January 8, 2002 11:47:32 AM

A friend of mine is having problems getting his new Athlon XP system running. It's an XP 1600+ on some motherboard with a VIA chipset (does not use the horrible 686B Southbridge). I would appreciate any advice from those of you with DIY Athlon experience. Here's an excerpt from an e-mail he just sent me:

--------------------------------------------------
You're not going to believe this. It's still not running. It's been one thing after another with this machine. When I finally got the cooling system hooked up last week and started testing it, I discovered that the pump leaked. I had been concerned about the radiator since I had to push those bolts through it, but I never suspected the pump would have any problems. Turns out the radiator is fine. I've been working on it with a friend, and we figured that the O-ring in the impeller housing was not forming a good seal, so we replaced it and added silicone all around it. Tried it next day, still leaked. Then I discovered a hairline crack in the plastic between the outlet barb and the impeller housing. So another mess of silicone and 24 hours later I try again, and now it's okay, but water is seeping slowly out the base of the outlet barb. GAH! So some krazy glue fixed that and finally it works the way it should have stock.

So now that it works, I fired up the power and encountered the next stage of weirdness. It posted and then gave a BIOS checksum error. I don't remember if that's normal for first bootup, but it bothered me. So I go in the BIOS and immediately check the temp, and it's rising rapidly toward 60C! This bothered me a lot more, so I shut it down. Later I tried again, got to the BIOS, and the machine froze. Since then I haven't been able to boot at all. I know the CPU isn't fried because I've checked it several times and it looks fine. I tried another video card and that didn't help. My friend thinks the temp spike would be temporary until the radiator got cooled down, but I haven't been able to let it run longer since I can't boot. I'm going to try moving the RAM around today. If that doesn't work, I'll have to try re-seating the motherboard, as it might be shorting on one of the mounting studs. If that doesn't work either, I really don't know what it could be.
----------------------------------------------------

THANKS!

More about : athlon woes

January 8, 2002 1:45:15 PM

Is he using some kind of thernal paste between the waterblock and the CPU core, it's best to use Arctic Silver 2 for this.
It also could be that he fried his CPU, you don't have to see it on the outside if the chip inside is melted., let hem check it in another PC with normal air cooling to make it easy.
If your mobo doesn't give any error beeps at POST, also if you removed the mem/video card and only the fans and drives are powering up, it's will be most likely that it's the CPU (this where the symptons my PC gave after melting my own CPU).

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
January 8, 2002 2:48:13 PM

BIos checksum error on startup?

He dosent have anecs k7s5a by any chance does he?

A bios checksum error on that board is one of the marks of a doa board.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
Related resources
January 9, 2002 2:34:56 PM

UPDATE

The motherboard is an Abit KR7A-Raid. He's using Arctic Silver 2. Changing the RAM around didn't work. He gets no error beeps no matter what he does, the mobo just doesn't boot. The CPU shows absolutely no sign of damage and the temperature sensor only showed 60°C when he cut the power, so he thinks the CPU is fine.

I guess he should find another system to put his CPU in. Any other ideas or experiences with this particular motherboard? Thanks for the help!
January 9, 2002 3:03:10 PM

Just becasue its an Abit board doesnt mean its flawless....same goes for eevry MB manufacturer in the world....ive been building computers for quite a few years now and through that tiem ive seen many DOA Motherboards...from QDI, Asus, Abit, PC Partner and a few other....the most came from asus.......1 Asus A7V, and 3 A7V133's.......(these were also most recent) so anyways, id say swap the board, as I woudl think the chip is fine...and even with water cooling, What the hell is going on, 60 Celcious ???? thats terrible, i bet theres absolutley no circulation going through the radiaotr's return hose and its just stopped/plugged there.....

ALSO, ask him if his Abit motherboard has THE LATEST Bios update (to support the Athlon XP CPU)...otherwise that could also be one of the problems.....

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!
January 9, 2002 3:14:33 PM

What a stupid post! Are you related to Meltdown or Fugger? Your title would suggest the XP is the problem when you're trying to use a complicated water cooling setup. Take the advice of the people above and get everything working with a HSF Before you mess with the watercooling crap. If you can't get it to work with the HSF (and if you haven't already ruined it) then post a thread called 'Athlon XP woes'.
January 15, 2002 7:21:22 PM

FINAL UPDATE

Thanks for the replies, it was the XP 1600+ that fried somehow. I quote my friend:

---------------------------------------
Well, there's been more drama with my computer. I tried the CPU in a friend's board and it fried the board! How the hell that is even possible I still don't know. Anyway, turns out my CPU is dead. I just called up newegg and they're gonna RMA it. I had to buy a replacement board for my friend; thankfully, it was only 70 bucks. I've decided to switch to air cooling because I'm sick of dealing with the water system. I finally get everything setup and running and the temps are horrible. I have no clue why, and at this point I fed up with it so I'm gonna buy one of those huge Alpha HSFs and not take my chances with the other anymore.

The good news is that my board and other components appear to be fine. I took them over to Axion yesterday to get them tested out, and everything worked except the CPU. So, depending on how fast the RMA process goes, I hope to get the replacement early next week, and by then I should have everything to finally get it running. What a pain. Looks like I'm going to be stuck with a computer that sounds like an F-16 firing its afterburners again. Oh well, I guess that's better than having one that's only useful as a floor decoration like mine currently is.
-----------------------------------
January 15, 2002 9:04:45 PM

i'm going to go out on a limb here and say he was planning on overclocking (with watercooling i'd assume so). did he by chance try and unlock the multiplier? if it fried some else's board it seems like it would be something with the voltage or he didn't do a great job of unlocking it and got messy. again this just points out user error, nothing wrong with the cpu.

[insert philosophical statement here]
January 15, 2002 9:17:03 PM

I do not think a fried cpu can fry a motherboard, I feel this person is posting inflamitory crap for no reason other than to start a flamewar.

I am ignoring this thread.

January 15, 2002 9:26:01 PM

I hope I have better luck, since I just got a Kollance case. I need some more stuff, but I don't think I'll be rushing to put it together and sure won't unlock the cpu, until I hear some success stories.
I do know the reading on my cooler could be off a little, so your friend might have been over 60C.

Complicated Nit Picker
January 15, 2002 9:47:41 PM

Quote:
I do not think a fried cpu can fry a motherboard, I feel this person is posting inflamitory crap for no reason other than to start a flamewar.

What about if the core was so fried that the pins basically got crossed? It might be sending strong voltages to places it shouldn't, and fry out the socket, or a resistor, or something like that.

It's possible, is all I'm saying.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
January 15, 2002 9:51:00 PM

It may be possible, but extremely unlikely, since his mobo is not fried, but his friends test mobo is.

I have seen tons of posts like this recently, coninciding with the marking of our forum as a troll haven, and I do not like it one bit.

January 15, 2002 9:54:43 PM

I'll let you into a secret.

If you don't react to them they go away.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>
January 15, 2002 9:58:36 PM

He sure did use a lot of silicone and glue. Was there any word of tape used. lol

Complicated Nit Picker
January 15, 2002 10:10:52 PM

He was planning to unlock the multiplier but hadn't got around to that step yet. He was running it non-overclocked. I saw the water cooling system firsthand, it seemed pretty beefy and well constructed. But with leaks and stuff, who knows what could have fried.

I also don't see how a CPU can fry a motherboard. It's utterly befuddling. I'm betting they somehow shorted the motherboard (maybe a loose screw) while testing the CPU.
January 16, 2002 5:28:20 AM

i dont understand why he tried so hard to repaire the pump anyways. why not just buy a new one, or better yet get your money back and get one thats not broken out of the box.
!