Sign in with
Your question

AMD is for POOR people

Last response: in CPUs
January 8, 2002 6:01:08 PM

This is my favorite line of the week. I've seen 2 people use this argument. ROFL

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

More about : amd poor people

January 8, 2002 6:31:58 PM

Quote:
I've never owned an amd uP in my life. I've been close a couple of times, but always found a good solid Intel setup. But I have read numerous posts of people who have managed to fry their amd uP during installation, probably due to an incorrectly seated heatsink. A lot of DIY's (mostly poor people on a budget) choose amd due to low price, but actually Intel uP is the perfect DIY. It wont let you down, ever.

<b>Copenhagen</b>

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
January 8, 2002 6:33:40 PM

BTW, what is a(n) "uP"? I wondered that when I first saw it.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Related resources
January 8, 2002 6:34:44 PM

Quote:
True, true, as always was, amd is for poor, like me, Intel is for average and above, like me too, hehe...

<b>Blah</b>

January 8, 2002 6:38:07 PM

Microprocessor

January 8, 2002 6:55:03 PM

Sorry, I realized that. I meant I was wondering where he got that from. I've never seen "uP" used to signify a CPU.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2002 8:17:54 PM

it's common among engineers and scientists to use the greek letter mu as an abreviation for micro, unfortunately mu is not part of the ASCII set. Some people substitute a small u.
January 8, 2002 9:00:56 PM

Right, the µ sign. Thanks, that makes sense.

January 8, 2002 11:30:56 PM

...rofl

eh, i'll procrastinate later...
January 9, 2002 2:41:19 AM

Oh phew.. I looked at this post to call you an idiot but I'm glad you don't seriously think that AMD is for poor people.
Whoever the people are that say that are both ignorant and need higher taxes (to appreciate the great things in life that come cheaply). Eh, once AMD gains enough market they will also take advantage of us like intel has for years.

"dude your getting a dell", is that kid trying to say he wants to stick his 'dell' in you?
January 9, 2002 5:19:22 AM

""Eh, once AMD gains enough market they will also take advantage of us like intel has for years.
""

Little thought about it: when AT&T lost their monopoly and MCI and Sprint gained more and more market share, phone rates went way, way, way down from all sides. So, I think this will be the same, but who knows, right? (not me at least, hehe)

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
January 9, 2002 5:54:04 AM

Quote:
A lot of DIY's (mostly poor people on a budget)

Pfft. DIYs are not necessarily poor, just smarter. ;)  We don't take the corporate bullshit word for word, we prefer hard facts. We love getting our hands dirty and the pleasure of saying “I made this.” We can do just as good at building a product as corporate America, and in many cases we can do better. Anarchists, Libertarians, and punks all have the same views toward government, we can govern ourselves better. That is why I believe most of the people in this forum are libertarian at heart, even if they don’t know it yet. ;) 

Sandain
January 9, 2002 6:00:23 AM

yes-
but most ignorant people see "getting our hands dirty" as white trash, thus we're poor. no offense towards ignorant people and i am white trash so i can say anything i want about them :tongue:

[insert philosophical statement here]
January 9, 2002 8:59:20 AM

Im ignorant and white trash, so whats to do next? I know lets build a rich man a poor mans system and watch him pee his pants in amazment :-)

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.
January 9, 2002 2:23:54 PM

I know a rich guy who builds his own AMD systems...

"Trying is the first step towards failure."
January 9, 2002 2:53:34 PM

I know quite a few rich people who build AMD's......

I also know a FFM who build AMD systems and call them the Poor Mans Pentium.....

I know a stubborn/ignorant guy who refusea to build AMD systems JUST BECAUSE it's not INTEL....not only that, this same guy said to me "If it doesnt say Intel OR Asus on it, I don't trust ti and will never buy it, I wont even touch them with someone elses dick" That's quoted from the guy who will eb left nameless........talk about being stubborn eh? LoL

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!
January 9, 2002 2:54:30 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>Svar på:</font><hr><p>I know a rich guy who builds his own AMD systems...<p><hr></blockquote><p>Oh!, then maybe he's one of the <i>blithering morons</i> Matisaro talked about ?

/Copenhagen - P4 Willamette 1700MHz@2109 MHz, Vcore 1.75V@2.20V on Abit TH7II-RAID.
January 9, 2002 3:08:18 PM

How do you figure that ??!??

Does that mean your a <i>blithering moron</i> becasue you baught the more expensive, much inferior Pentium 4 Willy system ? Like common man, grow up....

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!
January 9, 2002 3:19:56 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>Svar på:</font><hr><p>Does that mean your a blithering moron becasue you baught the more expensive, much inferior Pentium 4 Willy system ?<p><hr></blockquote><p>I can't complain about the performance of my little Willy on the "Northwood ready" overclockers dream of a mobo; at least not for the time being.

/Copenhagen - P4 Willamette 1700MHz@2109 MHz, Vcore 1.75V@2.20V on Abit TH7II-RAID.
January 9, 2002 3:40:16 PM

hehehhehhehehehehhehehe, bevis...
theres a part of cincinnati known as bevis and i have a whole bunch of friends that live in bevis!!! hee hee

eh, i'll procrastinate later...
January 9, 2002 6:20:59 PM

Poor people buy Athlons, stupid ones buy Celeron.

Hmmm... I'm writing this on a C433...DOH!

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek: 
January 9, 2002 7:35:51 PM

Quote:
I know quite a few rich people who build AMD's....

Heh...I wouldn't say I'm rich at the moment, but I didn't put my Athlon with a 10-drive SCSI RAID50 by being poor. :wink:

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2002 9:31:59 PM

along that line of logic.... if you buy a ford/honda/chevy you are a poor person??

besides what kind of insult is "AMD is for poor people"... Its a better, faster, more stable chip with superior architecture and real world pricing. Not the result of a bloated monopolizer....

even the wise can not see all the hands
January 9, 2002 9:52:50 PM

Just in case anyone missed it the first dozen times, here it is again:

Quote:
<font color=red><b>dhlucke did not make the comments he quoted, he is posting them again to make a point.</b></font color=red>

January 9, 2002 9:57:41 PM

Thanks Fatburger. I thought it was pretty clear. If not in here, in the "Northwood...is that it?" thread.

January 9, 2002 10:06:50 PM

""besides what kind of insult is "AMD is for poor people"... ""

Sorry, it was not an insult; it was a point of view, nothing else, an opinion, just like THG puts out their own point of view from their testing. What they say is based on what they see, and I say from what I see, I see AMD is targeting on crowd which is willing to pay less, and sacrifice their time by tinkering with what they paid for. Intel is targeted on those who are willing to pay once and forget about it (corporate and business part of population).

I have free time, so I can spend my time by going and buying (spend more money after I “saved” some money on buying AMD) to buy myself USB Zip drive, cos my IDE Zip drive which was perfectly working with Pee3 does not work with Athlon, so you figure why I have "insulted" your precious personality by making my point.

Sorry again.

PS: I don't mind Athlon is "better, faster" but I do REALLY mind it is "more stable" chip, and for your information: Windows was built on Intel machines, not AMD, AMD is Intel compatible, and not backwards.

January 9, 2002 10:14:21 PM

You are talking about chipsets, the motherboard, not the CPU.

January 9, 2002 10:26:55 PM

Don't make me laugh, please. I am talking about the PLATFORM. You can't stick Athlon into P4T mobo, can you? So whatever comes with Athlon in Athlon based. GOT THAT?

If people say "I got myself an Athlon!!!" they are saying "I got myself an Athlon based system!!!" (that means MOTHERBOARD FOR ATHLON too), that's what that means for your future reference, jeez.

January 9, 2002 10:31:42 PM

Agreed, but the actual processor does not cause system conflicts, but the motherboard.

I love it when people talk about Windows being better on Intel because that's what it was made for. Then they see "x86" and think that the person just couldn't remember whether it was a 386 or a 486.

January 9, 2002 10:31:44 PM

No, it means that you stuck your USB zip drive into a piece of crap mobo.

January 9, 2002 10:38:09 PM

Ok, here is my perspective on things. Poor is a relative term. How poor? I drive a Jaguar so am I poor? (just an example) No, of course not. Am I rich? Again, it depends on perspective. From my perspective, a person that can spend thousands of dollars a year on computer hardware and software is not poor. Any one who buys a top-of-the-line system with an AMD processor can also afford an equivalent Intel system, but as enthusiasts, we prefer AMD. AMD is the hotrod of computer processors. Intel is a fancy fully-loaded family car while the AMD is fancy fully-loaded coupe of the same model. Another example: AMD is a souped-up 1960s Ford T-Bird, while Intel is a modern Ford T-Bird. Entusiasts want AMD! PERIOD! AMD is the tweaker's CPU. There's no question about it.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
January 9, 2002 10:40:20 PM

I don't think I'm poor. Just didn't find anything compelling about the P4. The Athlon/nForce system I've put together is just as stable and reliable, if not more so, as all my previous Intel computers.
January 9, 2002 11:09:36 PM

I'd like it if we'd cut this thread from here on. I dunno but cut Copenhagen some slack, he's a good fellow here. Sure sometimes he says some slipped things but just let him out of this for this time.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...
January 9, 2002 11:22:00 PM

I don't think I've been overly hard on him really. He's the one saying that people who use AMD processors are poor, geeks, and/or blithering morons.

I've lost all respect for him. I'm not waging war, just pointing out how lame some peoples' arguments are.

January 9, 2002 11:25:41 PM

""No, it means that you stuck your USB zip drive into a piece of crap mobo.""

well, there were 3 of them, K7M, A7V133 and KT7A. Maybe some body had better luck with them, but I had not ever slight problem with none of the Intel boards, heh.

January 9, 2002 11:50:18 PM

Quote:
Ok, here is my perspective on things. Poor is a relative term. How poor? I drive a Jaguar so am I poor? (just an example) No, of course not. Am I rich? Again, it depends on perspective. From my perspective, a person that can spend thousands of dollars a year on computer hardware and software is not poor. Any one who buys a top-of-the-line system with an AMD processor can also afford an equivalent Intel system, but as enthusiasts, we prefer AMD. AMD is the hotrod of computer processors. Intel is a fancy fully-loaded family car while the AMD is fancy fully-loaded coupe of the same model. Another example: AMD is a souped-up 1960s Ford T-Bird, while Intel is a modern Ford T-Bird. Entusiasts want AMD! PERIOD! AMD is the tweaker's CPU. There's no question about it.

While I agree with your perspective on rich versus poor, I disagree with your assertion that all enthusiasts prefer AMD processors. Enthusiasts prefer whatever processor they perceive as having the best performance for whatever dollar figure they have decided to spend on a processor. This is one of the main reasons that enthusiasts usually overclock their processor. It allows us to achieve much higher performance levels without spending more than we had already decided. Intel processors used to be the defacto standard for enthusiasts because you could overclock your processor more than 50% higher than its factory setting. (The celeron 300A is an example of that.) Over time, AMD started releasing cheaper processors that overclocked fairly well, giving a better value. Now Intel is making its comeback in the enthusiast market, providing a good value with an overclocked 2GHz Northwood Pentium 4. A true enthusiast will take whatever is better for the amount of money they are willing to pay.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
January 10, 2002 12:17:54 AM

Like Matisaro said before, you sound like an Intel commerical, hehe. :wink: Anyway, I agree that at it's current price point the P4 2GHz Northwood is than an Athlon XP 2000+ but any any other price point, AMD is in the lead. A common rule of thumb that I have learned over time is that the best bang for the buck comes at 1-3 price points down from the top. At 1 price point down, you have the 2GHz Northwood and the AXP 1900+. The 2GHz Northy has more potential in overclocking but the AXP 1900+ is significantly cheaper and overall performance difference is negilible but with a slight lead to the Northwood; The Verdict: no clear winner
3 Price points down: AXP 1800+ and 2GHz P4 Willy, the AXP is a hair faster overall and both are probably equal overclockers but the AXP is cheaper; the Verdict: slight win for AXP for the price

As you can see, the Northwood is only a win at the highest price point. 1 price point lower, there is no clear winner. Two price points down, the AXP is the slight winner. The further you go down the more favorable the AMD systems seem to enthusiasts.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
January 10, 2002 12:18:04 AM

Like Matisaro said before, you sound like an Intel commerical, hehe. :wink: Anyway, I agree that at it's current price point the P4 2GHz Northwood is than an Athlon XP 2000+ but any any other price point, AMD is in the lead. A common rule of thumb that I have learned over time is that the best bang for the buck comes at 1-3 price points down from the top. At 1 price point down, you have the 2GHz Northwood and the AXP 1900+. The 2GHz Northy has more potential in overclocking but the AXP 1900+ is significantly cheaper and overall performance difference is negilible but with a slight lead to the Northwood; The Verdict: no clear winner
3 Price points down: AXP 1800+ and 2GHz P4 Willy, the AXP is a hair faster overall and both are probably equal overclockers but the AXP is cheaper; the Verdict: slight win for AXP for the price

As you can see, the Northwood is only a win at the highest price point. 1 price point lower, there is no clear winner. Two price points down, the AXP is the slight winner. The further you go down the more favorable the AMD systems seem to enthusiasts.

January 10, 2002 12:40:21 AM

AMD_Man why do you often double click on your posts to make twice of them? Be patient, the site is slow but ya don't need 2 clicks for it to understand! :) 

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...
January 10, 2002 1:11:47 AM

Yeah, but I don't deliberately double click. I click once, and a minute later it's still not done so I click again! Agh, I have cable and THGC is still slow; all the other sites are very fast. What's with that anyway?

January 10, 2002 1:31:35 AM

I'm afraid it's beyond my knowledge...
This site has been the slow maggot's lair for ages! Wether you post or click on a thread, it sometimes takes 15 minutes to open! I'm on DSL btw.
Someone HAS to write to the THG staff and tell them to do something.
Regarding posting, it also takes time to me, but each time I reclick it tells me Post Already Exists message so I don't double post. Dunno why it don't tell you, but just be patient, the post may already be there but the confirm page isn't!

--
January 10, 2002 2:32:16 AM

umm.. are you saying that "enthusiasts" (what does that mean) are more often than not, after a processor that overclocks 50% and meets the price they have in mind???

and then you want to say that 2.2 Northy now enters the enthusiast market based on those assumptions...

EXCUSE ME... hello... even if it debuted at $US500 or $A1000 then I can't see it being an enthusiasts dream...

I might be wrong... but second point is -> Does Northy then overclock to 3.3GHz. WOW!! sounds cooky to me...

I spilled coffee all over my wife's nighty... ...serves me right for wearing it?!?
January 10, 2002 5:19:47 AM

Quote:
umm.. are you saying that "enthusiasts" (what does that mean) are more often than not, after a processor that overclocks 50% and meets the price they have in mind???

and then you want to say that 2.2 Northy now enters the enthusiast market based on those assumptions...

EXCUSE ME... hello... even if it debuted at $US500 or $A1000 then I can't see it being an enthusiasts dream...

I might be wrong... but second point is -> Does Northy then overclock to 3.3GHz. WOW!! sounds cooky to me...

Sorry, I do not understand your point. I have been discussing the 2GHz Northwood Pentium 4 as the best processor for the enthusiast market. The 2.2GHz version would be better suited to those who want the best no matter the price. These people may or may not be enthusiasts.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
January 10, 2002 3:02:59 PM

"... <b>A true enthusiast will take whatever is better</b> for the amount of money they are willing to pay. ..."

And

"... Sorry, I do not understand your point. I have been discussing the 2GHz Northwood Pentium 4 as <b>the best processor for the enthusiast market</b>. ..."

Look here for the definition of <A HREF="http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictiona..." target="_new">enthusiast</A>. I have no <A HREF="http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictiona..." target="_new">enthusiasm</A> for the P4 and would pick the AMD again if I was building a new system. Not everybody is stamped from the same mold.
January 10, 2002 3:13:52 PM

Nice definition of 'enthusiast', but that's the wrong type. We're talking about people who love tweaking their computers. Hoppbyists, geeks/nerds, techies, etc.
The word doesn't matter, as long as everyone knows what kind of people we're talking about. People who love computers almost as much as people (or more so, sometimes).

Raystonn, barring the fact that you get free NWs from your employer, would you pick an XP over Willamette? Or Tbird over Willamette, if you think that's an unfair comparision. My point is, would you ever buy an Athlon when it performs better for slightly less and overclocks well enough? You made it sound like you would, but I'd be surprised.

January 10, 2002 3:59:10 PM

I too would be surprised.

Make no mistake I like rayy, but this is how I see the situation.

When intel is down, ray dosent post alot on the forum, any time AMD shows a weakness, ray will post a long well written article taking advantage of it.(this also occurs when he sees interesting news which is good for intel.)

Examples! his well written article about intel thermal protection, his well written article about rambus's 78 gigs./sec bandwith. Northwoods @3ghz. etc etc etc.

Whenever intel comes forth(like when the 2ghz williamette was released) ray will post on the forum.

Remember my comments several weeks ago about ray not bieng around(in this forum and the other forum) is it a coincicdence that this was the same time that amd had the performance crown undisputably with the xp1900 versus the 2ghz p4?

In summation, ray makes well written BLATANLY pro intel posts. Since he does not flame others or post bullshit(even though he has been known to strech his facts a little thin in defence of intel, and his pricing guides are laughable in the ways he can fit 100 dollars of useless junk into an amd rig to even up the price) I and everyone else here tolerates him plenty, even likes him.

But his posts always, ALWAYS, sound like intel commercials. He is as loyal to intel as meltdown or fugger, he just would never stoop to giving them such a bad name as they do.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
January 10, 2002 4:16:27 PM

dude hate to say this but you sound like an AMD commercial, hehe.

there's all kinds of enthusiast out there, peeps into bikes, cars, stamps, trucks whatever.

it seems to me that the only thing making you ppl feel good about your hotlons is calling Intel users stupid.

this is not the case because the reasons you ppl are so poor IS because you are stupid, :wink:

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
January 10, 2002 4:56:43 PM

Ironic that Willamettes are hotter than Athlons, yet you don't call them "Willamhottes", now do you?

!