I need help selecting a gaming laptop. Please suggest any laptops that you think I should consider. Additional comments are more than welcome. I have provided the following information as a guide. Thanks for your help.
1) What is your budget?
Definitely not more than $2000. Ideally, I don’t want to spend more than $1600.
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
Desktop Replacement - 17” screen. 18” is too big for me.
3) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
I will be primarily leaving the laptop on the desk, but would like some portability for travel.
4) Where will you buying this notebook?
Buying in the US.
5) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
I’m open to any brand.
6) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
7) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop?
I will be primarily gaming with this laptop. I also want to use it for video and photo editing.
8) Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Gaming will be the primary purpose of the laptop. I’d like to be able to play games such as Metro 2033, Crysis 1 and 2, The Witcher 2, World of Warcraft (multiple clients running at once), Rift, and Starcraft. Maximum video settings would be great, but at least high settings. I will NOT be playing in 3-D.
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
Not much battery life needed - maybe an hour or two.
10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
I just want to be able to see images of the laptop so that I know the location of ports and buttons.
11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
12) When are you buying this laptop?
Buying sometime within the next week or two.
13) If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I’ve been looking at sites such as AVADirect, ProStar, Digital Storm, GenTech PC, Xotic PC, powernotebooks, Malibal, Agearnotebooks, etc. I have no idea which are good. Maybe there’s a supplier that is a hidden gem out there that I missed.
14) Additional Information
I think the GPU should be the primary focus of this laptop build. I don’t’ think I can afford the GTX 580M, but I’d like to have something that is better than the GTX560M.
15) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
I would like full HD. 1920x1080, I suppose. I love small text. I do not want 3-D.
16) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
Not exactly sure if I want glossy or matte. I play games in well-lit rooms so matte would be better, but I do prefer the more vibrant colors from glossy screens. This won’t be a dealbreaker either way. Maybe someone can convince me one way or another.
I’ve also been reading about “Gamut”. Should I focus much on this? Might be out of my budget.
17) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
Performance and functionality come first. Style would be great as an added bonus, but not a requirement. The laptop can look plain – I don’t need fancy lighting or designs, but it shouldn’t look like an eyesore.
18) How long do you want this laptop to last? How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I purchase a new PC about every four years so I don’t need the best of the best components.
19) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
320 GB is more than enough. The solid state drives might be out of my budget, but would be nice to have. I would prefer Raid 0 capability.
20) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
A basic optical drive is sufficient.
I would like to have an integrated card reader and integrated camera. Various components should be standard: HDMI output, USB3.0 and 2.0 ports, Ethernet/modem jack, etc. I don’t need any additional software nor accessories.
I currently have the Sager NP8170 (Clevo P170HM) at the top of my list since it will let me upgrade to the GTX 485M. My main concern is the build quality of the chassis. I have read user reviews saying that the build quality isn't that great. Yet others love their Sager. Can someone comment on this?