Dell Recalls 4.4 Million Notebook AC Adapters

Dell Recalls 4.4 Million Notebook AC Adapters
Recall involves Latitude, Precision and Inspiron laptops
By Steven Burke, CRN
1:35 PM EDT Fri. Oct. 08, 2004

Dell on Friday voluntarily recalled 4.4 million AC adapters for its
notebooks after receiving seven reports of the adapters overheating,
posing a risk of fire or electrical shock for users.

Dell announced the recall--which involves Latitude, Precision and
Inspiron notebook adapters--in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer
Product Safety Commission (CSPC). The recall only affects the adapters
and not the notebooks, Dell said. About 2.9 million of the adapters
were sold in the United States.

The CSPC said businesses and consumers should stop using the recalled
adapters immediately. The AC adapters were manufactured by Delta
Electronics of Taipei, Taiwan. Delta also was the vendor involved when
IBM announced an AC adapter recall for its notebooks in September.
That recall, also done in conjunction with the CSPC, involved 225,000
AC adapters.

The Dell adapters involved in the current recall have the words "DELL"
and "P/N 9364U," P/N 7832D" or "P/N 4983D" printed on the back of the
unit. They were shipped to customers between September 1998 and
February 2002. The adapters were also sold separately, including in
response to service calls, for between $30 to $70. The advanced port
replicators and docking stations sold for $300 to $600.

Dell will send consumers with recalled adapters a free replacement.
Those who believe they are affected by the recall can call Dell at
(800) 418-8590 or go to Dell's Web site. The latest recall follows a
Dell power adapter recall for 28,000 systems in July.

Tyler Dikman, chief executive of CoolTronics, a Dell reseller, said
his company will be on the lookout for the adapters when servicing
Dell notebooks. Dikman added that he doesn't expect the recall to
affect his Dell sales and that, overall, he is happy with the quality
of Dell notebooks.

Most of the components for notebooks--whether they are from Dell, IBM
or Hewlett-Packard--come from the same suppliers, Dikman noted. "Dell
is lucky this involves just a power adapter," Dikman said. "Ocne you
have to get inside the notebook system, that costs a lot more money.
You can't have an end-user customer taking out RAM or pulling apart a
[notebook] screen assembly."

The recall could end up costing Dell tens of millions of dollars,
given the $30 to $70 price tag of the adapters, Dikman said. "The
question is, how many of these computers are still being used,
especially the ones from '98," he said. "It is rare you will find a
six-year-old notebook."

A Dell spokesman said the company doesn't expect the recall to be
"material" to business and, therefore, not have an impact on quarterly
results. The spokesman declined to comment on how much the recall
could end up costing the company or if Delta Electronics or Dell would
be responsible for the cost of the recall.

More about dell recalls million notebook adapters

    All the information about the Adapter recall can be found at
    https://www.delladapterprogram.com/Main.aspx.

    Tim.

    DOC <yea@sure.biz> wrote in message news:<87rdm0hbmfgniqpp9f981m6b9r01dcs8q3@4ax.com>...
> [...]
    > is lucky this involves just a power adapter," Dikman said. "Ocne you
    > have to get inside the notebook system, that costs a lot more money.
    > You can't have an end-user customer taking out RAM or pulling apart a
    > [notebook] screen assembly."
    >
    > The recall could end up costing Dell tens of millions of dollars,
    > given the $30 to $70 price tag of the adapters, Dikman said. "The
    > question is, how many of these computers are still being used,
    > especially the ones from '98," he said. "It is rare you will find a
    > six-year-old notebook."
    >
    > A Dell spokesman said the company doesn't expect the recall to be
    > "material" to business and, therefore, not have an impact on quarterly
    > results. The spokesman declined to comment on how much the recall
    > could end up costing the company or if Delta Electronics or Dell would
    > be responsible for the cost of the recall.

    WHOOPS!

    ROFLMAO!

> [...]
    > is lucky this involves just a power adapter," Dikman said. "Ocne you
    > have to get inside the notebook system, that costs a lot more money.
    > You can't have an end-user customer taking out RAM or pulling apart a
    > [notebook] screen assembly."
    >
    > The recall could end up costing Dell tens of millions of dollars,
    > given the $30 to $70 price tag of the adapters, Dikman said. "The
    > question is, how many of these computers are still being used,
    > especially the ones from '98," he said. "It is rare you will find a
    > six-year-old notebook."
    >
    > A Dell spokesman said the company doesn't expect the recall to be
    > "material" to business and, therefore, not have an impact on quarterly
    > results. The spokesman declined to comment on how much the recall
    > could end up costing the company or if Delta Electronics or Dell would
    > be responsible for the cost of the recall.

    tim,
    Read about this in the Saturday paper. I went to the Dell website (home
    page) but didn't see anything about a recall. Under their search field I
    searched for "recall" and did find information, I didn't find anything about
    this recall, curious.
    Paul

    DOC <yea@sure.biz> wrote in

> [...]
    > Dikman noted. "Dell is lucky this involves just a power
    > adapter," Dikman said. "Ocne you have to get inside the notebook
    > system, that costs a lot more money. You can't have an end-user
    > customer taking out RAM or pulling apart a [notebook] screen
    > assembly."
    >
    > The recall could end up costing Dell tens of millions of
    > dollars, given the $30 to $70 price tag of the adapters, Dikman
    > said. "The question is, how many of these computers are still
    > being used, especially the ones from '98," he said. "It is rare
    > you will find a six-year-old notebook."
    >
    > A Dell spokesman said the company doesn't expect the recall to
    > be "material" to business and, therefore, not have an impact on
    > quarterly results. The spokesman declined to comment on how much
    > the recall could end up costing the company or if Delta
    > Electronics or Dell would be responsible for the cost of the

    See what can happen if you don't keep that BIOS updated :-)

    It's on their web site, saw it there this morning. Follow the links to get
    specific Laptop and Adapter Model Numbers.
    MLD
    "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast,dot,net> wrote in message
> [...]
    > >> is lucky this involves just a power adapter," Dikman said. "Ocne you
    > >> have to get inside the notebook system, that costs a lot more money.
    > >> You can't have an end-user customer taking out RAM or pulling apart a
    > >> [notebook] screen assembly."
    > >>
    > >> The recall could end up costing Dell tens of millions of dollars,
    > >> given the $30 to $70 price tag of the adapters, Dikman said. "The
    > >> question is, how many of these computers are still being used,
    > >> especially the ones from '98," he said. "It is rare you will find a
    > >> six-year-old notebook."
    > >>
    > >> A Dell spokesman said the company doesn't expect the recall to be
    > >> "material" to business and, therefore, not have an impact on quarterly
    > >> results. The spokesman declined to comment on how much the recall
    > >> could end up costing the company or if Delta Electronics or Dell would
    > >> be responsible for the cost of the recall.

    Thanks!

    Mine is that model number, but mine was made in China, not in Thailand
    - so guess mine is OK.

    The news article I saw in NYTimes said the bad ones were "made in
    Taiwan" - odd.

    SCD

    DOC <yea@sure.biz> wrote:
    >Dell Recalls 4.4 Million Notebook AC Adapters
    >Recall involves Latitude, Precision and Inspiron laptops
    >By Steven Burke, CRN
    >1:35 PM EDT Fri. Oct. 08, 2004

    That's funny, CNN says it's 990K adapters...
    http://money.cnn.com/2004/10/08/technology/personaltech/dell_recall/index.htm?cnn=yes

    On 10/10/04 07:11, SCD wrote:
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Mine is that model number, but mine was made in China, not in Thailand
    > - so guess mine is OK.

    Strangely my adaptor has a sticker on the lead that says "made in
    China", yet the label on the back of it said "Delta Electronics -
    Thailand." I filled in the numbers on the website and it told me
    it was affected. (http://www.delladapterprogram.com/)

    MLD,
    Went again to www.dell.com , didn't see anything about a recall.
    Selected "home and small business", didn't see anything here either. Went to
    notebooks, again I didn't see anything about a recall. Now I've gone to the
    link Tim provided and sure enough the information is there. But how did you
    get to the page that had the initial information and a link to

    "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message news:qPW9d.581$ER4.401@trndny04...
    > It's on their web site, saw it there this morning. Follow the links to
    > get
    > specific Laptop and Adapter Model Numbers.
    > MLD
    > "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast,dot,net> wrote in message
    >> tim,
    >> Read about this in the Saturday paper. I went to the Dell website
    > (home
    >> page) but didn't see anything about a recall. Under their search field I
    >> searched for "recall" and did find information, I didn't find anything
    > about
    >> this recall, curious.
    >> Paul
    >>
    >> "tim" <delltech@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > All the information about the Adapter recall can be found at
    >> > https://www.delladapterprogram.com/Main.aspx.
    >> >
    >> > Tim.
    >> >

    >> > DOC <yea@sure.biz> wrote in message

    "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast,dot,net> wrote:
    >But how did you
    >get to the page that had the initial information and a link to
    >https://www.delladapterprogram.com/Main.aspx ?

    I went to the Dell home page, did a search for "recall", and under
    reccomended links, found a hotlink to "Recalls", aka
    http://support.dell.com/support/batteryrecall/index.aspx/en/main?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=gen
    and thence to delladapterprogram.com

    You'd think they'd put a link to it on thier homepage, but their
    marketting droids probably figured it would chase potential customers
    away...

    William,
    I also searched on "recall" but on the resultant page I didn't see the
    link about the power adapter. There were other pages that I didn't go to. I
    find Dell's response rather disheartening. I understand that most of their
    components they buy from other vendors and assembly them into a computer. I
    would have a lot more respect for Dell if they made this recall very
    prominent on their home page, not buried layers deep. Every company is
    subject to mistakes, some their own fault, some the fault of their supplier.
    The difference is how the company handles the mistake.
    Paul

    <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    > "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast,dot,net> wrote:
    >>But how did you
    >>get to the page that had the initial information and a link to
    >>https://www.delladapterprogram.com/Main.aspx ?
    >
    > I went to the Dell home page, did a search for "recall", and under
    > reccomended links, found a hotlink to "Recalls", aka
    > http://support.dell.com/support/batteryrecall/index.aspx/en/main?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=gen
    > and thence to delladapterprogram.com
    >
    > You'd think they'd put a link to it on thier homepage, but their
    > marketting droids probably figured it would chase potential customers
    > away...

    "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast,dot,net> wrote:
    > I also searched on "recall" but on the resultant page I didn't see the
    >link about the power adapter.

    It's "hiding" near the top of the page, _before_ the search results.
    Took me a couple of times to find it, which says something about their
    HCI design.

    >would have a lot more respect for Dell if they made this recall very
    >prominent on their home page, not buried layers deep.

    Indeed.

    Did go to "home and small business" first. Seem to remember seeing a box
    with reference to the Dell Recall. Clicked on the link and found my way
    to the recall info. Sorry I can't be more specific because I was just
    wandering around at the time just looking.
    > MLD,
    > Went again to www.dell.com , didn't see anything about a recall.
    > Selected "home and small business", didn't see anything here either. Went
    > notebooks, again I didn't see anything about a recall. Now I've gone to
    the
    > link Tim provided and sure enough the information is there. But how did
    you
    > get to the page that had the initial information and a link to
    > https://www.delladapterprogram.com/Main.aspx ?
    > Paul
    >
    > "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > It's on their web site, saw it there this morning. Follow the links to
    > > get
    > > specific Laptop and Adapter Model Numbers.
    > > MLD
    > > "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast,dot,net> wrote in message
    > >> tim,
    > >> Read about this in the Saturday paper. I went to the Dell website
    > > (home
    > >> page) but didn't see anything about a recall. Under their search field
    > >> searched for "recall" and did find information, I didn't find anything
    > > about
    > >> this recall, curious.
    > >> Paul
    > >>
    > >> "tim" <delltech@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    IBM
    "Dell

    and damn good thing they did!! cuz I hear they can be used for atomic
    bombs! heeheehee

> [...]
    > is lucky this involves just a power adapter," Dikman said. "Ocne you
    > have to get inside the notebook system, that costs a lot more money.
    > You can't have an end-user customer taking out RAM or pulling apart a
    > [notebook] screen assembly."
    >
    > The recall could end up costing Dell tens of millions of dollars,
    > given the $30 to $70 price tag of the adapters, Dikman said. "The
    > question is, how many of these computers are still being used,
    > especially the ones from '98," he said. "It is rare you will find a
    > six-year-old notebook."
    >
    > A Dell spokesman said the company doesn't expect the recall to be
    > "material" to business and, therefore, not have an impact on quarterly
    > results. The spokesman declined to comment on how much the recall
    > could end up costing the company or if Delta Electronics or Dell would
    > be responsible for the cost of the recall.

    Has anyone here received a replacement adaptor yet? I ordered mine
    about 10 days ago and have heard nothing. I understand that
    obviously replacing this many adaptors is going to be quite a
    task, but I would have expected to get an email confirmation of
    order or something..

    I received an email within an hour confirming the replacement request.
    It said the following:

    Date Order Placed:10/9/2004 6:00 AM
    Dear Dell Customer:

    Your replacement kit order has been received. Your order number is
    .. Please
    keep this order number as a reference for shipment status inquiries.

    The details of your order are below.

    Order Number:

    Adapter Quantity: 1

    Ship-To Address:

    On 19/10/04 12:32, Math1 wrote:
    > I received an email within an hour confirming the replacement request.
    > It said the following:
    <snip>

    Hmm I didn't. I'll try ordering again.

    Ordered it 10/12-received the confirmation email, and it was at my door
    10/13!!!

    what adapter, for what?

    https://delladapterprogram.com/Main.aspx

    On 21/10/04 09:19, yodasue@webtv.net wrote:
    > Ordered it 10/12-received the confirmation email, and it was at my door
    > 10/13!!!

    Hmm, I tried it again and I've still not even had a confirmation
    email. Then I am in the UK though (which I presume you are not,
    given the way you format your dates ;) )

    Right! I'm in US

    On 25/10/04 08:58, yodasue@webtv.net wrote:
    > Right! I'm in US

    Thought so. :) I might give them a ring if I do not hear back from
    them soon.

Dell Notebooks Computers Product