zathras

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2002
Greetings.

I am unclear how/if this AMD heat issue effects operation in a non-AC environment--at a summer time room temp of 90+F.
This is assuming that the system is a non-overclocked, "stock" XP 2000+...with no failures of the fan or heat sink.

My PII and PIII operate fine in these "hot" conditions. Will that AMD 2000+?

THANKS!

-me-

dhlucke

Polypheme
You'll die before the computer. Make sure you drink lots of water if you plan on sitting in a 90+ degree room all day.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

FatBurger

Illustrious
See, when you come to THGC you even get medical advice :smile:

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Agreed! The Athlon XP does not have any thermal issues as long as the stock heatsink is seated properly and that you don't overclock.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
Hmm... seems weird to read about this whilst sitting inside when it is about -10°C out... here... :)
but i suppose it could be a problem in some environments... like say you went to a lan party in the middle of the desert... and it was 50°C out... lol

FatBurger

Illustrious
Remember he's talking about Farenheit, while you're talking about Celcius/Centigrade.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

dhlucke

Polypheme
It was 78 degrees F here yesterday. I have to consider warm weather year-round. It sucks for someone to have 90+F inside. The building must have been built horribly to not insulate the heat outside.

I once broke up with a girlfriend since her damn house was too hot and she wouldn't turn the AC on.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
i know... thats why i wrote in the symbol... i have no concept of what is hot in fareinheit... except that -40=-40 and -32=0...

scwarner

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2002
Centigrade temp X 9/5 + 32 = Fareinheit temp

Just one of those stupid things I remember from high school.

"Intel people buy their computers to learn. AMD people build theirs because they already have."

FatBurger

Illustrious
Just making sure, I figured you realized.

scwarner, thanks for the equation. That's one of the ones from high school I can never remember.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
No way man. The Athlon sucks! It has TONS of heat problems. When you fry your POS processor be sure to buy an Intel next time! Everyone knows Athlons run hot!

(hehe I just figured I'd get it out of the way...some intel zealot was bound to do it eventually. heh)