Please comment on this INTEL DATASHEET.

FatBurger

Illustrious
EDIT:
Changed the subject again...

Intel's datasheet on Northwood (which I just finished reading) states that...where's the quote...

"The Intel Pentium 4 processor...can be inserted and removed 15 times from a mPGA478B socket..."
Now I understand that if you try to insert it 16 times, it won't suddenly shatter like a pane of glass. However, this seems to me to be rather odd. Is this normal to see on datasheets? (I haven't checked others yet)

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 01/16/02 08:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Checked the datasheet on the Celery (which I had on my desktop because a friend was arguing that Celry were neither the Coppermine nor Tualatin core, but some magical "Celeron" core), and it doesn't mention a limit for either the boxed (slot) processor or the socket 370 version.

Also of note is that the retail heatsink that ships with Northwood has a variable-speed fan. It has three modes: under 34, 34-43 and above 43. Kudos to Intel for that.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"The Intel Pentium 4 processor...can be inserted and removed 15 times from a mPGA478B socket..."
per second? just a guess, becuase i would imagine any more times than that in one second and youd be sure to break something. :wink:

eh, i'll procrastinate later...

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
LoL.....that the wierdest thing ive ever heard, especially to come from a Datasheet....

15 times before it...????

1) Gets Stolen
2) Gets Bent Pins
3) Fly's Away
4) Talks to you
5) Has a Ham & Cheese Sandwhich
6) Overclocks Itself
7) Becomes the "real" P4 everyone speaks of

Which is it? LoL...sorry I got a bit carried away...as that was just to funny......I've never ever heard of any such thing in my life.....

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your friend was right. The original Celeron had no cache, and the Celeron A was on the magical Celeron core, 128KB on-die cache, Mendicino core, Celeron exclusive. In fact a mendicino Celeron when overclocked to 100MHz FSB would outperform at PII at the same speed in many test because of it's faster cache.

Now the Celeron II was a coppermine. The Celeron 1200 and 1300 are Tualatins. But the Celeron was for the most part Mendicino.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
That's pretty bizarre, I wonder what it means. The only corollary I can think of is that memory modules are rated for only so many insertions before the metal gets scratched and can possibly cause problems.

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
It probably means that they guaranty it can be installed and removed 15 times and still function properly. Although I do not know why someone would have to do that.

<i>The devil's advocate</i>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I've seen that kind of rating on SCSI hot-swap carriers, but never on CPUs. With ZIF sockets, theoretically there should be no limit, unless the pins are thin to the point that they don't take the stress of a ZIF clamp well. Still, hot-swap carriers get rated to thousands of insertions, and they're typically friction-seated.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LOL!!!!
After 15 times you insert it and pull it out...
you know what happen!
But you can be blinded from doing that!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mordy on 01/11/02 05:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
The pins on a CPU are not the most study things, and there is some wear from insertion and removal. However, if you have to do it 15 times, I think you're doing something else wrong.

I sold my soul to Microsoft, and all I got was this lousy operating system.

Wiggy5

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2001
yeah.. there's not much need to remove and insert your CPU 15 times..

<font color=blue>It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.</font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
We were talking about a 1GHz, not the earlier versions.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
this is the second time you post off topic..
are you on drugs or something?
sniffing glue?arctic silver maybe?

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

FatBurger

Illustrious
That wasn't off topic. Check my second post.

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
wow, you managed to hit one on topic!:p
my mistake..:)

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

FatBurger

Illustrious
No comments from Raystonn, FUGGER, amdMeltdown or Intel_Inside?

balzi

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
No comments from Raystonn, FUGGER, amdMeltdown or Intel_Inside?

hm.. i'll admit it's weird, but maybe the original comment is true..
nah...

here's my theory. The statement was so obviously flame-bait that it's stirred the troll vs. elitist minions into such a frenzy that cause them to despose of the non-physical medium of computers and started an all-out war somewhere in teh Kilamanjaro's where nobody'll see 'em 'cept a lone kangaroo.

or not?!!?!?!?

I spilled coffee all over my wife's nighty... ...serves me right for wearing it?!?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
hmm, FatBurger is looking for trouble, hmm..
<i>[Pretends to be AMDMeltdown]</i>

Ahh, shove that stupid nosense up your a$$, you stupid AMDMongrel! You're nothing but a bunch of HALF-A$$eD LoSErSS who have nothing better to do than to WIPE your stinken A$$ on Intel's back door. GUESS WHAT? Intel's not GONNA LETT YOU INNN! SO GO BACK TO YOUR LITTLE HOLE, YOU MONGREL!

Ohh, that was nice, wasn't it? Did I sound like a convincing AMDMeltdown?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor