Divine caster to prepare new spell?

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a problem. The DMG (3.5) on 179-180 about divine
casters is a bit confusing. Can or cannot divine casters leave an empty
spellslot and prepare a spell later?

"A divine spellcaster does not have to prepare all his spells at one.
However, the character's mind is considered fresh only during his or
her first daily spell preparation, so a divine spellcaster cannot fill a
slot that is empty beacuse he or she has cast a spell or abandoned a
previously prepared spell."

C the cleric is leaving a spell slot unprepared. C does not cast any
spells but does wander around (in a dungeon) for some time. Finally C
comes to a trap or something and decides to memorise a spell helping C
to overcome the trap. Can C do that? Yes, I say.

Do the rules agree? It's pretty hazy...

Robert Karlsson Svärd
- no ruler of Sweden

"Miracle" <.@.> wrote in message news:d6lkjd$742$1@bagan.srce.hr...
> Robert Karlsson Svärd wrote:
> > "A divine spellcaster _does not have to prepare all his spells at one_.
>
> Seems rather clear, eh?

To go one step further, it also says he can only prepare spells during his
specific prayer time or ASAP thereafter. So even if he leaves a slot open,
he *should* not be able to fill it until tomorrow.
IIRC, its been ruled in the reverse however.

"Robert Karlsson Svärd" <rks@chello.se> wrote in message
> I'm having a bit of a problem. The DMG (3.5) on 179-180 about divine
> casters is a bit confusing. Can or cannot divine casters leave an empty
> spellslot and prepare a spell later?

They can.

> "A divine spellcaster does not have to prepare all his spells at one.
> However, the character's mind is considered fresh only during his or
> her first daily spell preparation, so a divine spellcaster cannot fill a
> slot that is empty beacuse he or she has cast a spell or abandoned a
> previously prepared spell."

That is worded rather oddly; "first daily spell preparation" is slightly
misleading (as one need not prepare any spells at all!). The point they're
trying to make is that only slots that were free (or freed) during the
Regularly Scheduled Prayer Ritual can be filled with prepared spells; no
re-using of the slots until then!

In short, the daily ritual "reboots" the empty slots, and then you can
fill them as you please (and when you please, though it's more efficient to
do a big batch of them). It's generally Very Handy to leave a few empty
slots in your lineup to make room for utility spells - and if you didn't
need them after all they can always be burned on divinations.

-Michael