Is it possible to upgrade Presarios?

G

A friend of mine has a Compaq Presario 5600i. He wants to make it a little faster. He was thinking of a video card, since it only has PCI slots, I suggested a PCI card with the nVidia chip. But he would probably see a bigger improvement if he upgraded his processor. Currently it's a Pentium II running at about 400-450mhz.

Can the CPUs of this Compaq be upgraded? And to what speed can he upgrade to 900mhz, 1.2ghz?

Plus can he move to a Pentium III?

I myself don't know too much about things like this and so I'm hoping someone who knows much more about this can really help.

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
only thing worht upgrading on a compaq is the memory, and not even that worth it. if he's considering upgrading make him save some mroe money and build himslef a computer that will ahve a continual upgrade path. but if he insists on upgrading, an invida geforce from an integrated vga card would do more justice than a few hundred megahertz.

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Sell Compaq, make a good box, upgrade done, happy user. :)
I used to have a compaq, didn't cost me anything but I would never get another. Not even for free.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red> ;)