Sign in with
Your question

What are your favorite Core codenames?

Last response: in CPUs
January 10, 2002 7:43:41 PM

Just for fun here, what are your fav names or those you find funny? I know currently AMD uses Horse names, but what are the Intel ones about? Got a lot of them names since they switch so often to new chips!
My favs are Willamette cuz it's a funny one, Tualatin cuz it sounds cool, and Palomino is good cuz it's also my uncle's Banner company name! He does banners in Lebanon, so maybe if I asked him to call AMD and introduce the people to Athlons (they only know Intel over there, AMD is simply a three letter word for them) and tell them of his company name in conjunction to the core, it might sell! Oh well...
Oh and Katmai is cool too as a Japanese term, it'd fit well for armory names in RPGs.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...
January 10, 2002 7:58:39 PM

Willamette is a river here in Portland, and Tualatin is one of the suburbs. Just so you know.

Katmai is cool, but I think Palomino is the best.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Related resources
January 12, 2002 2:08:41 AM

Bumping it up...

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...
January 12, 2002 5:03:59 AM

bagota for abe bagota. prototype processor, before the pentium pro.

[insert philosophical statement here]
January 12, 2002 7:43:21 AM

speaking of the williamette, i remember coming to THG about 3 years ago and reading about the first rumors of the willy and thinking about how unbelieveable it would be. just thought about that in contrast to my reaction when it actually came out. funny how a few years can change everything.

Hard work often pays off in time, but laziness always pays off now.
January 12, 2002 12:29:10 PM

I think Palomino and Tualatin are the best ones from the ones you mentioned.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
January 12, 2002 8:13:58 PM

Appaloosa - the die shrunk (0.13u) Duron.
January 13, 2002 3:13:05 AM

Morgan is also the name of a type of horse developed in Vermont (the only horse breed developed in America, if I remember correctly). The original Morgan Horse Farm is in Randolph, Vermont. So anyway, it goes along with the AMD horse theme of Palomino and Appaloosa.

If I had to pick a favorite, I suppose I'd go with Palomino.

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2002 4:07:07 AM

Mendicino.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
January 13, 2002 4:40:08 PM

So where do these Intel names come from?

--
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2002 6:05:46 PM

Geographical locations, mostly near it's headquarters.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
January 13, 2002 8:54:06 PM

Klamath.

Used to have one. It sounds like a disaster or a God.

"Bow to Klamath, the God of LX chipsets"

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>
January 13, 2002 9:27:09 PM

oh yeah. i had the 300Mhz 'klammie' on a LX too!

later on i also experienced a mendinchino... or was that cappuchino? or al pachino?

The only loyalties i have is to Performance, Cost
Reliability and the Truth.
January 14, 2002 12:40:07 AM

Lol, you guys and your "junior" nicks!
Celly, Tually, Paly...what else?

--
January 14, 2002 1:12:07 AM

well for amd u have
athie
durie
XP (what do u do with this?)
thourie (or maybe bredie)

and on the intel side
cellery
pee3
pee4
tullie

mendichino
copperime (cuppuchino)
klameth (kappachino)

way too much free time i admit :) 

The only loyalties i have is to Performance, Cost
Reliability and the Truth.
January 14, 2002 3:34:09 PM

How about XtraPowie for the Athlon XP, sorry I mean Athie XP?

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
January 14, 2002 7:29:17 PM

Nah that would be too much "extracted", let's leave it AXP. Athie don't hear much of it here, but pees and Cellerys are quite good for your health and to talk about here!

--
January 14, 2002 8:31:33 PM

nah... just the XP.
or occasionally the AthXP if im talking about windows in the same sentence.

woo hoo for me! mobo dying and a new range are out shortly! come on kt333 + sis745!

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :) 
January 14, 2002 8:38:00 PM

ummm you mean Abe Vigoda ?? from Barney Miller :) 

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Computers run on smoke, I let the smoke out of mine and it quit working </b> </font color=blue>
January 16, 2002 12:17:28 PM

A thought occurs to me from this thread .. when Intel finally moves on to the next generation of chips what will they call it ?? Pentium -5 is redundant.. perhaps the Sexium ??

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Computers run on smoke, I let the smoke out of mine and it quit working </b> </font color=blue>
January 16, 2002 12:31:36 PM

Propably "Dildo",
look man, your silly CPU just can´t beat my Dildo 2000!

.Shitfaced.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jake75 on 01/16/02 09:33 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 16, 2002 1:08:18 PM

LOL "dildo"

how about "dong"
anyways I think Northwood is also around Intel head quarters. Or was it an area near the CEO's house? I remember reading it somewhere but can't fully remember. Oh well I guess I like Thunderbird, cars are always more than horses, just think horse power. Several hundred horse power in one car, so when I think Thunderbird versus say....Morgan I'm going to expect more power from Thunderbird. BTW what ever happened to Mustang from AMD? I remember reading about it somewhere.

Trusting every aspect of our lives to a giant computer was the greatest thing we ever did -Homer
!