building a new box, need some advice

paleblueeyes

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
This is my first attempt at building a computer. My major dilemma is in what mobo+cpu to get. I've been looking at a xp 1800 but i'm starting to think that a 1600 or 1700 would be just as good. Here's a run down of the other components i'm looking at:

memory: 256mb ddr pc2100 32x64 (nec)
cd: 56x 90ms (acer)
hd: 40gb eide 7200rpm (seagate)
floppy: 1.44mb (teac)
video: geforce mx400 64mb (eagle)

I'm most interested in gaming and my budget is limited. So any advice on mobo+cpu or any pitfalls you can help me avoid will be greatly appreciated.

FatBurger

Illustrious
How about the Epox 8KHA+? KT266a chipset with great overclocking features, and only $98 at <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=22&manufactory=1318&DEPA=1" target="_new">Newegg</A>. This was Motherboard of the Year over at HardOCP.com. You'll be ok with the XP 1600+, as the video card will be the main limiting factor in your system. Get something better if you possibly can.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

paleblueeyes

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
thanks for the advice burger. few ?'s:

I thought i've heard alot of rumblings about problems with the via chipset, any truth to them?

another concern i had is with overheating problems with the xp 1500, 1600, 1700. Supposedly this isn't as bad with the 1800

any recommended vid. cards?

...so i got that goin' for me

FatBurger

Illustrious
I thought i've heard alot of rumblings about problems with the via chipset, any truth to them?

I have the KT133a, which is generally regarded as the most instable ov Via chipsets, yet my computer is very stable. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

another concern i had is with overheating problems with the xp 1500, 1600, 1700. Supposedly this isn't as bad with the 1800

1500-1700+ overheating more than the 1800+? That makes no sense to me, I'd disregard that. There must have been some special circumstance (or you simply got bad information).

As for the video card, how much will you be willing to spend? Now that you at least have an idea of what the MB+CPU will cost you.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

paleblueeyes

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
about the best i could get would be:

geforce 2 pro 64mb or 3dfx voodoo5 64mb

both are a little under $100 on pricewatch.com

...so i got that goin' for me

FatBurger

Illustrious
The best price/performance is the GeForce 3 Ti200. The Gainward from Newegg.com is only $166. But you mentioned under $100, so let's see what we can find...

Similar product, the Gainward GF2Ti 64MB from Newegg, $95. Would that fit your budget?

FatBurger

Illustrious
I think so, but not better than the ultra. I definitely recommend a good brand though (and to buy from a good shop). Gainward/Newegg definitely fit that, but if you would rather save the extra $23, it won't bother me.