Basically what I am looking for is a portable, small laptop I can take to work and do ordinary stuff on (no video games). But I also want it to be used as a HTPC, I want to be able to take it home and plug it in through an HDMI cable to my receiver. I need it to be able to play 1080p .mkv files with DTS-HD MA audio with no problems.
1. What is your budget? - Hopefully $700 or less. As cheap as possible but still needs to be able to do what I require
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 11-15"
3. What screen resolution do you want? Best possible
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable laptop. Thin and light preferably.
5. How much battery life do you need? Whatever an ordinary laptop can do, 3-6 hours is fine.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Maybe some minor gaming but not much.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Needs to be able to play 1080p MKV files and I want to be able to output DTS-HD MA to my receiver via HDMI cable. Want to turn it in to a HTPC when I am home, need it to run cool and be able to handle all the videos. A Blu-Ray player is a bonus but not needed.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 500+ is fine. Will store my movies on a external USB so not a big deal.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? If I ever upgrade laptops I would still like to be able to use this one as a permanent HTPC
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Blu-Ray would be nice, but not required.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I don't care what brand
13. What country do you live in? USA
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.