milne

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001
Ihave posted to this effect quite a while ago. The problem, this machine is a boat anchor. Nothing "big" running in the background. Using Outlook, sending mail and trying to do something else, I am at 100% cpu. Usually, this results in a lockup....what gives? Next step for this thing is........out the window!
1.4GHz, 512DDR, geoforce 2 MX200, ECS K7vta3, WD 7200HDD This machine should perform better than a 700, I would think. All drivers are current.
Thanks,

Pete

USS_Prometheus

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001
Are you running SETI or any other analytical program? What about norton system works checking the status of your disk? On my PC it sometimes checks everything for problems automatically.

=/\=

blue_heart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
if you have windows 2000 or xp then you check that with the task manager and see which program using your cpu

wish if there was UnDo in the life

svol

Champion
Do you have the DMA for your disks enabled? Also check if there are any resource conflicts, they can slow down your PC too.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

olrac

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2001
I too have the AMD 1.4 gig(XP). When I first build my system, it would give me registry errors and lock ups like crazy! I changed my board(same make different chipset) and all my problems were gone! At first I thought it was a bad memory stick(DDR) but that was not the case. Some chipsets may have some conflicts with your processor like the one I had. Just don't rule anything out, its worth investigating.