Your question

new system won't POST

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2002 5:53:36 PM

hey guys,

ive been building this new rig of mine for a while now. and i finally got the money for all the parts. i bought a soyo dragon +, xp 1700, 512 mb crucial pc 2100 ddr, radeon 8500, and 2 seagate barracuda IV's. when just using the intergal parts (still building box) the computer wont POST. i get the error beep codes as 1 beep (sounds like its going to POST) followed by a pause and then two long beeps. after that sometimes the power will cut off of it will stay on. any ideas to what is wrong?

More about : system post

January 11, 2002 6:00:09 PM

any message on screen?
check HD's.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2002 6:02:09 PM

i didnt'plug the hd's in yet. i see no video being sent to the monitor
Related resources
January 11, 2002 6:07:42 PM

:) heh..
then plug every thing in..then boot the damn thing up..

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>
January 11, 2002 6:17:30 PM

Quote:
:) heh..
then plug every thing in..then boot the damn thing up..

it doesn't need to. To boot it up, you only need Motherboard, CPU, RAM and video card.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
January 11, 2002 7:03:11 PM

Some mobos wont boot without harddrives connected If i recall correctly.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
January 11, 2002 7:11:56 PM

All mobos that I've used (Tyan, Asus, Abit, Biostar, Epox, FIC, ...) don't need to although I never use Soyo so I could be wrong.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2002 8:17:08 PM

well,

after trying practially everything, still no dice. the beep code has changed now. and all it is a long beep about every 5 seconds. when i first turn it one i see the hdd light go on and then goes off. that's it. still no video, i even tried an old agp card from anotehr system so i know that it's not the card. any other ideas. right now it's set up as following

dragon plus
xp 1700
volcano 7 hsf
2 256 crucial pc 2100 (tried all of them 1 at a time in each dimm)
barracudda IV 40 gig on ide 1 (not trying raid yet. . . just want it to boot)

this is the first time ive ever had problems putting a system together. . .grrr

what else should i check
January 11, 2002 8:42:47 PM

Things to check:

Make sure the CPU is fully in the socket
Make sure the board isn't grounded/shorted
Make sure the PSU actualy will power another computer (probably not the issue, but never hurts to check)
Make sure that all jumpers are set correctly
Try Resetting the bios settings.
Check the Bios Battery.
Make sure the vid-card is in properly.
Try a different Vid-card.
Check Manual for a list of beep codes and meanings.

Now, I don't know if all those will help, but it's a list of things to try.

I sold my soul to Microsoft, and all I got was this lousy operating system.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2002 8:52:50 PM

if you have no case how, or where are you putting the board??

also try ripping everything apart and but it together piece by piece, making sure you didnt miss anything. then boot with minimal.... video, ram etc.

even the wise can not see all the hands
January 11, 2002 9:10:16 PM

If you are NOT using a floppy drive, make sure you disable it in the bios.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2002 1:12:25 AM

ok, with the ram or without the ram, i get the same beep code. dunno what it means since award bios just says that the beep codes only say that there is a video or ram problem. .. and i know that hte video card works (tried like 3 different ones). when i just try powering up just the mobo and the cpu/hsf istelf it will turn on, have one long beep and then the PSU will cut power. i wish i know what was goin on

i really don't want to think that the mobo or cpu came DOA. . . . . .if that was the case how would i find out without obtaining another mobo or cpu since i don't have one on hand (besides an old LX board)
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by traitorhound on 01/11/02 10:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2002 1:23:46 AM

heh. . .i wish i could get into bios. . i have yet to see video ouput
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2002 1:46:35 AM

Is this board in a case? The reason I ask is that I just put together a soyo tisu that would not post in the case. just got the same beep codes as you. Knew that my parts were good from old sys. As advised in manual I put it together out of the case and it works fine. Haven't really had the time to look the board over, but figure it has to be grounding to case. Just a thought.
January 12, 2002 2:21:54 AM

The beep codes tell you exactly what's wrong. Go to their website and find the BIOS beepcodes.

-= This is our wading pool.
Stop pissing in it. =-
January 12, 2002 2:19:42 PM

heh i remember the times when you just put every thing together and crossed your fingers..it either would or would not boot..at any case back then they shop would always switch your CPU for some reson..never was the problam i think thogh..

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2002 2:41:03 PM

its a bitch. I thought I would have my system up and running along time ago soyo dragon+ & 1700+. Try hooking the board up outside of the case, my fans would not run 2 start w/ because i had a short w/ the screws I put in, maybe that will solve the power off problem. Also, could be a dead cpu or mobo. I know you don't want to send anything back, but i just sent my cpu back to newegg because I tried every approach and nothing worked. Hopefully that was the problem, if not the mobo is going back 2.

I know all my other components work bc they have been in another system. So it has to be one of the 2. My problem is similar, so keep me posted if you figure anything out.

"I might be ignorant, but I'm not stupid."
January 12, 2002 2:44:14 PM

Repeating tone means a memory problem.

DDR memory requires some force to insert but I would not want you to break anything. When the memory is inserted properly the clips will engage flush. They fit right into the semicircular depressions on each end of the DRAM. Sometimes you need to "coax" the clips so that the DRAM will slide in. Do not use any force on the clips. Just rotate them up so they touch the ends of DRAM before you try to snap the DRAM home.

See the standard Award BIOS beep codes below. Different manufacturers may have different enhanced beep codes but should still keep the standard ones.

<A HREF="http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm" target="_new">http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm&lt;/A>

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2002 3:03:23 PM

yeah. . i saw your postings earlier. .right now it is out of a case and only the cpu/famn, vid card, and ram is installed. . . so i know it's not a short. . the ram i know works and i went back to best buy today to exchange the other DDR i had just to make sure it wasn't the ram. it was great getting 2 sticks of crucial ddr for 50 bucks. .now it would be 180 at best buy. . .what a great thing. . if only i coudl use it.

as of now im afraid to say that it is probably the cpu or the mobo since i know all the other components work. now i have to find out which one is the problem. ill figure it out later when i go to my friends how and try his cpu on my board and my cpu on his. . .ill keep you updated

i really don't feel like RMA my stuff back to newegg since im in FL and it'll take a while. . . waiting blows but i have to i guess i will

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by traitorhound on 01/12/02 12:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 12, 2002 3:22:20 PM

Hey
I am building almost the same system and mine does the exact same thing. Soyo dragon+, athalon XP 1700, 256M PC2100 ddr crucial memory, and radeon 8500LE. I just pulled the memory, processor and video from a ECS board where it worked fine. I am just begining the trouble shooting but I will let you know if I figure anything out
January 12, 2002 3:32:11 PM

what is the beep code for:
"Damn it those are some crappy components you put inside!take them out!"..
j/k:) 

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>
January 13, 2002 2:10:25 AM

according to asus...the beep code:
long beeps in an endless loop.
means that no DRAM is installed or detected.
i think you said something about getting new ram or something...
then again....this is asus' beep code.

:mad:  <A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2096468" target="_new">P4 + SDRAM</A> = <b>BAD</b> :mad: 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2002 3:02:30 AM

well. . .i have no way of testing the if the RAM is good. . .it's crucial and it's a fresh swap with the local retailer so im assuming it's good. as for video i know it works since it comes from a working system... and now that i just got home from my friends house who has an ECS K7S5a mobo. what i was there i swapped the duron on the board for my athlon. i got to see my xp 1700 actually post. . . .so my problem (via process of elimination is that the mobo came DOA). . .what a bummer. .. i thought though that a dead mobo would not post any beep codes or anything. but i guess its time to give up and RMA back to newegg

thank you guys for all your suggestions. .. or are there any more that i shoudl know about?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2002 8:52:37 PM

well that sucks, i didn't have a friend that could test my chip, but I'm afraid now that it might be a motherboard problem. I guess I will have to wait and c.

"I might be ignorant, but I'm not stupid."
January 14, 2002 1:59:29 PM

Hmm, 3 different people, with the same MB and the same problem. Sounds like either a bad product batch, or a bad product. I know there were a few other people that have had problems with the Soyo Dragon. Anyone else had either good or bad luck with one?

Traitor, when you RMA it, you may want to ask if you can try a different brand of MB, like a Gigabyte or an Asus. Gigabytes are cheeper and very reliable, Asus has reliability and speed, but tend to be a bit more expensive.

I sold my soul to Microsoft, and all I got was this lousy operating system.
!