INTEL Boycotting SSE2 Licensing ??!!

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
OK we all know that the Inquirer is an unreliable source and is fond of AMD but if <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/11010219.htm" target="_new">this artical</A> turns out to be true AMD could be well and truly stuffed in trying to incorporate SSE2 into thier Clawhammer processors that are supposed to be due out Q302.

Hmmmm I wonder why Intel might be delaying SSE2 licensing ?? perhaps they feel threatened by Hammer or even the Athlon XP trying to incorporate SSE2 later on in this year. Intel dont want to shoot themselves in the foot by licensing SSE2 out too soon now do they ? :wink:

SSE2 in now beginning to filter into many applications and in the next couple of months it will become standard in many new applications.

Well this might present another blow to AMD...Hammer processors might not feature SSE2 support because of Intel until 2003. AMD will therefore have to make some late adjustments to the Hammer design or even delay the launch of the Hammer processor till 2003.
Something fishy is going on if you ask me....Intel being anti competitive ?? surely not ! Full marks to Intel though, they invented SSE2 therefore I suppose they have the right to say when want to license it. AMD could be the donkey this year with Intel dangling a carrot on a piece of string in front of them. Somehow AMD cant get what they dont have.

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

eden

Champion
Screw SSE2, why do they need it anyway?
AXPs are beating the crap off SSE2 optimized apps anyways aren't they? So why complain!
They're likely to simply come up with a different combination of new instructions by themselves and not need any licensing to get info.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
<blockquote><font size=1>Svar på:</font><hr><p>SSE2 in now beginning to filter into many applications and in the next couple of months it will become standard in many new applications.<p><hr></blockquote><p>True.

<blockquote><font size=1>Svar på:</font><hr><p>Something fishy is going on if you ask me....Intel being anti competitive ?? surely not ! <p><hr></blockquote><p>Without SSE2 the P4 would have a serious problem. Intel has basically sacrificed the original FPU design and chosen to rely on SSE2. They have put a lot of R&D into SSE2, lately focusing on software development and assistance to various software companies. (Maybe that is what Raystonn is working on at Intel ?) Intel is fully aware that SSE2 is absolute vital for the competitiveness of the P4. Therefore I think they should not be criticized for trying to capitalize on that investment. I don’t think the fees they can obtain through licensing would amount to even a small fraction of their investment.

<blockquote><font size=1>Svar på:</font><hr><p>Full marks to Intel though, they invented SSE2 therefore I suppose they have the right to say when want to license it.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Willy and I fully agree. :cool:

/Copenhagen - P4 Willamette 1700MHz@2109 MHz, Vcore 1.75V@2.20V on Abit TH7II-RAID.

POPEGOLDX

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
THe Inquirer is DEAD WRONG.... SSE2 is open source... AMD or anybody else can use it... Intel Cant license it.... think about it...if INTEL NEEDS SSE2 to be competitive..why make people PAY to use it... then alot wont use it...Why PAY to ADD something u dont NEED to ass...that doenst make sense... that why the PALAMINO has SSE it is open source to.

Inquirer is DEAD WRONG

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think YOU are DEAD WRONG! as much as I hate the Inquirer, sometimes they're right and this time I'll beleive them over you...goldielocks, na na na naaa na!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

FatBurger

Illustrious
I think YOU are DEAD WRONG! as much as I hate the Inquirer, sometimes they're right and this time I'll beleive them over you...goldielocks, na na na naaa na!

If I buy a Northwood, will I become like you and juin? :frown:

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
I wouldn't write off SSE2 that quickly if I were you ! SSE2 optimisations are a very good way of increasing IPC.

Just look at the benifits of normal SSE optimised and non-optimised software. <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1543&p=6" target="_new">CLICK !</A> like the benchmarks show expect around an <b>18% improvement</b> for SSE enabled CPU's.

Whats scary is that SSE2 optimised software is fairly scarce at the moment and not properly implemented. However when FULLY optimised SSE2 software becomes standard expect the P4 to get around a 10-15% performance boost, putting it way ahead of the Athlon XP. At that point you will be praying for AMD to support SSE2.

OK so is SSE2 an open standard ? Was it an open standard when it was first released ? I thought that such technologies are only avaliable for exclusive use by the inventor for a set period of time i.e 1-2 years before it becomes an open standard.

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

FatBurger

Illustrious
That reminded me of the Monty Python skit where somone wrote a Dutch/English dictionary and sabotaged it. All these Dutch people were tying to say "Where's the bathroom?", and were saying "Would you like to sleep with me?", or something similar. Not the best skit ever, but pretty funny.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
If I buy a Northwood, will I become like you and juin?
No, but you might get people yelling at you the way they do me. ;) Peer pressure is wonderful, is it not?

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

bhc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
From that article, AMD's stance makes sense, considering
1. SSE2 is far from popular right now. Since most the current software are not SSE2 optimized, buying a PC based on SSE2 doesn't make much sense; even if later whatever software one uses indeed become SSE2 optimized, one still have to PAY more to get the new version (software vendors are NOT going to give it to anyone for free).
2. Unlike Intel, AMD does not need SSE2 to be competitive, so there is no incentive to jump in so soon.
3. By 2003, if indeed SSE2 makes it, AMD can just snatch it up; there is no legal way that Intel can prevent AMD to use it.

Personally, I have no problem with SSE2. The only thing I don't like about P4/SSE2 is that it clouds the real issue -- CUP raw performance; I would expect being the latest Intel offering P4 should be better than everything else running software not SSE2 optimized and a lot better running software SSE2 optimized. However, we all know that is NOT the case at all. It appears Intel's counting more on software vendor but themselves to save P4's bacon.

**Spin all you want, but we the paying consumers will have the final word**