so, why isn't Dell installing XP SP2 on new computers?

What's there problem?

--
*************
Joe Zorzin

My new XPS Gen 3 was delivered last Wednesday....had XP Professional SP1a
installed on the system, but the operating system CD that came with the
system was SP2. I typically wipe the hard drives of my new machines to get
rid of all the Dell installed stuff that I don't want or need and then do a
clean install of the OS. At least I didn't have to make yet another
slipstreamed XPSP2 CD...
;-)

-Tmax60
"Joe Zorzin" <abc@xyz> wrote in message
: What's there problem?
:
: --
: *************
: Joe Zorzin
:
:
:
:

I know that purists will always do a clean install- but, at least the Dell
stuff isn't so in your face compared to computers made by Compaq and some
other companies. I remember helping friends with their Compaq computers and
I couldn't believe how much Compaq junk was there.

--
*************
Joe Zorzin

"Tmax60" <tmax60@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My new XPS Gen 3 was delivered last Wednesday....had XP Professional SP1a
> installed on the system, but the operating system CD that came with the
> system was SP2. I typically wipe the hard drives of my new machines to
get
> rid of all the Dell installed stuff that I don't want or need and then do
> clean install of the OS. At least I didn't have to make yet another
> slipstreamed XPSP2 CD...
> ;-)
>
> -Tmax60
> "Joe Zorzin" <abc@xyz> wrote in message
> : What's there problem?
> :
> : --
> : *************
> : Joe Zorzin
> :
> :
> :
> :

Quite so. My daughter-in-law has a Compaq and while the system runs nicely
and is perfect for her needs, the software installed was voluminous. I
always got a kick out of the Dells in one respect. When you order a Dell and
do not want AOL installed on the system, you get it anyways. I assume it is
a licensing agreement issue but still it is just one more item to uninstall.
Of course since I wipe everything off the system and clean install I guess
it becomes a moot point after all.

Regards,
John O.

>I know that purists will always do a clean install- but, at least the Dell
> stuff isn't so in your face compared to computers made by Compaq and some
> other companies. I remember helping friends with their Compaq computers
> and
> I couldn't believe how much Compaq junk was there.
>
> --
> *************
> Joe Zorzin
>

> "Tmax60" <tmax60@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> My new XPS Gen 3 was delivered last Wednesday....had XP Professional SP1a
>> installed on the system, but the operating system CD that came with the
>> system was SP2. I typically wipe the hard drives of my new machines to
> get
>> rid of all the Dell installed stuff that I don't want or need and then do
>> clean install of the OS. At least I didn't have to make yet another
>> slipstreamed XPSP2 CD...
>> ;-)
>>
>> -Tmax60
>> "Joe Zorzin" <abc@xyz> wrote in message
>> : What's there problem?
>> :
>> : --
>> : *************
>> : Joe Zorzin
>> :
>> :
>> :
>> :

You have a point there. My very first PC was an HP Pavilion and it was just
loaded with all sorts of unnecessary bloatware stuff...branding everywhere,
customized sound schemes..you name it.

[...]

: > ;-)
: >
: > -Tmax60