Existing hp to new build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarfreekx12

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Hello everybody,

So i currently have an hp computer form about 2 years ago with win7. It was my first computer and just easiest thing for me at the time. Well now the time has came for me to where that computer just isn't enough so I am looking to upgrade and build my own. Now i have the hard drive and recovery disks for the hp I have. My question is can i just put the hdd in on the new build and boot up in win7? (seems like there will be some issues with that). if that is not an option is there any way to strip down the hdd files and just get the win7 off of it? Basically im just thinking of ways that i would not have to spend the 100 bucks on the win7 software. any help would be gladly apreciated.

Logan

Solution
Logan:

The Win7 on your current HP is "locked in" to the HP motherboard. If you replace the motherboard, Win7 will NOT recognize the system configuration and will not boot. Using the restore disks will also not work as they will look for the expected HP motherboard. Bottom line, you can salvage your existing parts (if you wish), but as soon as you get a new MB, you will need a new install of Win7.

Mark
Logan:

The Win7 on your current HP is "locked in" to the HP motherboard. If you replace the motherboard, Win7 will NOT recognize the system configuration and will not boot. Using the restore disks will also not work as they will look for the expected HP motherboard. Bottom line, you can salvage your existing parts (if you wish), but as soon as you get a new MB, you will need a new install of Win7.

Mark

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts