3.5E Ridiculous Feats?

All,

In 3.5 Edition D&D including the Complete * books, what feats do you
personally feel are ridiculous, if any?

>From Complete Arcane, I consider the Mage Slayer, Pierce Magical
Concealment, and Pierce Magical Protection.

Since all too often my mage ends up within the threatened square of a
warrior, I feel it a little unfair that Mage slayer just negates all
cast on the defensive attempts. I could see giving me a -4 to
counteract combat casting but it causes automatic failire AND gives the
warrior +1 to Will saves. Insane. It would be like a Wizard being able
to take a feat "Rogue Slayer" that gave the ability "characters with
evasion or improved evasion are denied its use on spells that target
them" or something. Or imagine a feat that made anyone tumbling through
your threat range to fail automatically.

The concealment just negates any of the spells that allow Wizards to
survive in a fight. It even reveals which Image in the Mirror Image is
the Wizard. No spell or caster checks, no rolls, just automatic "no
dice."

The worst offender is Pierce Magical Protection. No spell checks, no
nothing. You ignore all AC from magic spells or effects and when you do
damage you automatically dispel all such spells and effects on the
caster. That's like having a feat that is better than Dispel Magic
Greater useable at will. No checks, just gone. Magic AC *IS* the
Wizard's defense. That is all we have. Imagine a feat that said "Target
Will Saves cannot be improved by items, feats or effects vs your spells
that allow Will Saves, and if you affect the target, his items that
grant such effects are dispelled automatically."

Its just crazy I say. CRAZY! :)

I'm sure others will try to refute this, but that's just my opinion.
What I'm more curious about is what 3.5 Feats do YOU consider to be
just too much?

Lewis
46 answers Last reply
More about ridiculous feats

    lewis@lwb.org wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > In 3.5 Edition D&D including the Complete * books, what feats do you
    > personally feel are ridiculous, if any?
    >
    > >From Complete Arcane, I consider the Mage Slayer, Pierce Magical
    > Concealment, and Pierce Magical Protection.
    >
    > Since all too often my mage ends up within the threatened square of a
    > warrior,

    Wizzies don't belong on the front lines!

    Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; they belong in a tower somewhere,
    summoning demons . . .

    lewis@lwb.org wrote:

    > Since all too often my mage ends up within the threatened square of a
    > warrior, I feel it a little unfair that Mage slayer just negates all
    > cast on the defensive attempts. I could see giving me a -4 to
    > counteract combat casting but it causes automatic failire AND gives the
    > warrior +1 to Will saves. Insane. It would be like a Wizard being able
    > to take a feat "Rogue Slayer" that gave the ability "characters with
    > evasion or improved evasion are denied its use on spells that target
    > them" or something. Or imagine a feat that made anyone tumbling through
    > your threat range to fail automatically.

    Or a class ability that allows your barbarian to avoid
    *all* sneak attack damage from invisible rogues. Or
    that lets you Take 10 on Tumble checks in combat, so
    you can automatically *succeed* in avoiding AoOs when
    tumbling through an opponent's threatened spaces.
    Or...

    Oh, wait. Never mind.

    -Bluto

    I still think that is totally different from your examples.

    Still, you'd think a feat that affected concentration in combat wouldnt
    be any better than its counterpart (Combat Casting). I think a -4 would
    be appropriate, total denial isnt. Also, the other feats are definitely
    way over the top. An effect greater than a Greater Dispel (albeit vs
    only certain spells) is way too much.

    But again, I'm throwing out the feats I think are ridiculous. Which
    feats do YOU think are ridiculous?

    Lewis

    lewis@lwb.org wrote:
    > I still think that is totally different from your examples.
    >
    > Still, you'd think a feat that affected concentration in combat
    wouldnt
    > be any better than its counterpart (Combat Casting). I think a -4
    would
    > be appropriate, total denial isnt.

    IMHO, a counter-ability should be more powerful than an equivilent
    bonus ability. A fighter/mage or other spellcaster who for some reason
    ends up using Combat Casting will probably do so on many more occaisons
    than a fighter with the counter, simply because the fighter cannot
    gurantte what proportion of his opponents his ability will be useful
    against, but the caster knows that he is _always_ a caster.

    I do dislike Mage Slayer though - if a player wants to build a
    charecter to kill mages, that's fine, but I'd prefer that kind of
    charecter customisation be approached more subtly than simply taking a
    feat named after the intended effect. Use spiked chains, companions,
    SR items, make sure you get in the first hit, things like that.

    lewis@lwb.org wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > In 3.5 Edition D&D including the Complete * books, what feats do you
    > personally feel are ridiculous, if any?
    >
    > >From Complete Arcane, I consider the Mage Slayer, Pierce Magical
    > Concealment, and Pierce Magical Protection.

    All three are powerful feats, but none of them are ridiculous.

    > Since all too often my mage ends up within the threatened square of a
    > warrior, I feel it a little unfair that Mage slayer just negates all
    > cast on the defensive attempts. I could see giving me a -4 to
    > counteract combat casting but it causes automatic failire AND gives
    the
    > warrior +1 to Will saves. Insane.

    Not really. I think that in melee range, a fighter _should_ be able to
    slice up a wizard. If the fighter isn't so great against a wizard in
    melee range, what exactly _is_ his forte?

    > It would be like a Wizard being able to take a feat "Rogue
    > Slayer" that gave the ability "characters with evasion or
    > improved evasion are denied its use on spells that target
    > them" or something.

    I'd probably allow this feat. It doesn't seem all that unreasonable.
    Naturally, it'd have prerequisites, like the three feats you mentioned.

    > Or imagine a feat that made anyone tumbling through
    > your threat range to fail automatically.

    That would probably be slightly too powerful, but it's also not as
    ridiculous as you imagine it to be.

    > The concealment just negates any of the spells that allow Wizards to
    > survive in a fight. It even reveals which Image in the Mirror Image
    is
    > the Wizard. No spell or caster checks, no rolls, just automatic "no
    > dice."

    Bullshit. Mages have _many_ ways to survive battles. How about Fly? How
    about being behind friends? How about Invisibility? (Pierce Mag Con
    doesn't help with _finding_ the wizard, just hitting him.) How about
    Stoneskin, or Polymorph?

    If you can't figure out a way to keep your mage alive, even against a
    dedicated mage-hunter, then you're too dumb to be playing mages.

    > The worst offender is Pierce Magical Protection. No spell checks, no
    > nothing. You ignore all AC from magic spells or effects and when you
    do
    > damage you automatically dispel all such spells and effects on the
    > caster. That's like having a feat that is better than Dispel Magic
    > Greater useable at will. No checks, just gone. Magic AC *IS* the
    > Wizard's defense. That is all we have.

    No it's not. See above.

    > Imagine a feat that said "Target
    > Will Saves cannot be improved by items, feats or effects vs your
    spells
    > that allow Will Saves, and if you affect the target, his items that
    > grant such effects are dispelled automatically."

    Bad analogy. The protection-piercing melee attack has to be a standard
    action, meaning you can't full-attack with it. This is a major
    restriction for the fighter.

    A similar restriction would be something like having to cast your
    theoretical "Will-piercing" spell as a 1-round action (not full-round,
    1-round). And that, I think, might actually be fair.

    > Its just crazy I say. CRAZY! :)
    >
    > I'm sure others will try to refute this, but that's just my opinion.
    > What I'm more curious about is what 3.5 Feats do YOU consider to be
    > just too much?

    Persistent Spell, especially when comboed with Divine Metamagic.

    Also, Natural Spell. I feel it makes Druids completely over the top.

    > Lewis

    Laszlo

    lewis@lwb.org wrote:

    > The worst offender is Pierce Magical Protection. No spell checks, no
    > nothing. You ignore all AC from magic spells or effects and when you do
    > damage you automatically dispel all such spells and effects on the
    > caster. That's like having a feat that is better than Dispel Magic
    > Greater useable at will. No checks, just gone. Magic AC *IS* the
    > Wizard's defense. That is all we have. Imagine a feat that said "Target
    > Will Saves cannot be improved by items, feats or effects vs your spells
    > that allow Will Saves, and if you affect the target, his items that
    > grant such effects are dispelled automatically."

    Also, note that not only wizard's will have magic AC. The casters will
    buff the warriors, so a mage slayer with Pierce Magical Protection also
    makes quite a warrior slayer.

    > Its just crazy I say. CRAZY! :)

    I agree.

    > What I'm more curious about is what 3.5 Feats do YOU consider to be
    > just too much?

    Improved Rapid Shot from Complete Warrior, which negates the -2 penalty.

    Again, it's perhaps a conceptual problem more than a balance problem: I
    don't think it should be possible to take more and more feats to
    completely remove the penalty for using a "you get a bonus, but must
    take a penalty" combat style.

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    monarchy@comcast.net wrote:

    > > Since all too often my mage ends up within the threatened square of a
    > > warrior, I feel it a little unfair that Mage slayer just negates all
    > > cast on the defensive attempts. I could see giving me a -4 to
    > > counteract combat casting but it causes automatic failire AND gives the
    > > warrior +1 to Will saves. Insane. It would be like a Wizard being able
    > > to take a feat "Rogue Slayer" that gave the ability "characters with
    > > evasion or improved evasion are denied its use on spells that target
    > > them" or something. Or imagine a feat that made anyone tumbling through
    > > your threat range to fail automatically.
    >
    > Or a class ability that allows your barbarian to avoid
    > *all* sneak attack damage from invisible rogues.

    Right. Class ability, not a feat. Which can be negated by a rogue of a
    high enough level. Which only nerfs the rogue's secondary source of
    sneak attacks, the primary being flanking, IME at least.

    > Or
    > that lets you Take 10 on Tumble checks in combat, so
    > you can automatically *succeed* in avoiding AoOs when
    > tumbling through an opponent's threatened spaces.

    It's not that difficult to auto-succeed on tumble even without take 10,
    BTW.

    But automatically suceeding isn't quite the same as automatically making
    your opponent fail. D&D is a game, and in a game, it's much more
    frustrating to be unable to do your schtick, than simply see someone be
    good at theirs.

    IMO, Mage Slayer &c. aren't even that hideously overpowered. But...

    They invite a feat race, with Slayer of Mage Slayers for wizards,
    allowing them to cast defensively even when threatened by someone with
    Mage Slayer, and then Slayer of Slayers of Mage Slayers for fighters
    again...

    They use wonky automatic mechanics, which seems out of place in 3E. As
    Lewis noted, it's weird that Pierce Magical Protection dispels
    automatically when even greater dispel doesn't.

    They're just badly designed.

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    Piggybacking; lost the original and don't want to use Google.

    Jasin Zujovic wrote:
    > monarchy@comcast.net wrote:
    <snip complaint about Mage Slayer>

    > > Or a class ability that allows your barbarian to
    > > avoid *all* sneak attack damage from invisible
    > > rogues.
    >
    > Which only nerfs the rogue's secondary source of
    > sneak attacks, the primary being flanking, IME at
    > least.

    Completely agreed. I consider the SA usage rankings to be, at least
    IME: flanking, invisible, Feint/Imp.Feint, surprise.

    > > Or that lets you Take 10 on Tumble checks in
    > > combat, so you can automatically *succeed* in
    > > avoiding AoOs when tumbling through an
    > > opponent's threatened spaces.
    >
    > It's not that difficult to auto-succeed on tumble
    > even without take 10, BTW.

    And that's a good example of why Tumble should be an opposed check,
    not an example of Skill Mastery being as bad an ability (note, also
    not a feat) as Mage Slayer is a (mostly unrestricted) feat.

    --
    Nik
    - remove vermin from email address to reply.

    laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

    > Bullshit. Mages have _many_ ways to survive battles.

    And Fighters and other non-mages have the same options; but a mage
    doesn't have the option granted by Mage Slayer without a severe
    sacrifice.

    > Persistent Spell,

    Already acknowledged to be pretty much broken...

    > Also, Natural Spell. I feel it makes Druids completely over
    > the top.

    Or, rather, it makes druids actually able to fulfill their role,
    instead of having almost half of their abilities completely cancel out
    the use of the other half.

    --

    Nikolas Landauer wrote:
    > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
    > >
    > > Bullshit. Mages have _many_ ways to survive battles.
    >
    > And Fighters and other non-mages have the same options; but a mage
    > doesn't have the option granted by Mage Slayer without a severe
    > sacrifice.

    Come on. Fighters and other non-mages do NOT have the same options, and
    can't get them without spending significant amounts of cash (and item
    slots).

    > > Persistent Spell,
    >
    > Already acknowledged to be pretty much broken...

    Sure. I didn't claim to have said anything new.

    > > Also, Natural Spell. I feel it makes Druids completely over
    > > the top.
    >
    > Or, rather, it makes druids actually able to fulfill their role,

    Yeah, if their role is "horribly powerful caster AND melee fighter who
    is ALSO highly versatile".

    Anyone who has seen a competent mid-to-high level druid in action knows
    that they are a munchkin's dream. Not only are they the only class to
    be both a primary caster and primary tank... AT THE SAME TIME (except
    possibly for clerics, see below), but they (normally) have the most
    powerful companion in the game, for FREE, with no real penalty for it
    dying... AND they have mobility unmatched by anyone except wizards, AND
    they have a significant role to play outside of combat. I don't even
    wanna get into the pure cheese that is spontaneous Summon Nature's
    Ally.

    Clerics come close to simultaneously being a primary caster and primary
    tank (if they want to), but they lack the companion, the mobility, the
    versatility, and the pure spontaneous summoning cheese.

    Also, Clerics need, at the very minimum, Str and Wis to be effective,
    while also needing to keep Con and Dex from falling too low. And they
    miss out on a significant part of their class abilities with a low Cha.
    That's called Multiple Attribute Dependency, and it helps keep clerics
    in check somewhat.

    Druids? Druids need Wis. And that's it. They can have a natural Str,
    Dex, AND Con of 6 and still be just as effective in melee.

    > instead of having almost half of their abilities completely cancel
    out
    > the use of the other half.

    Yeah, god forbid that a character should have to make interesting
    tactical choices.

    Laszlo

    Mere moments before death, Nikolas Landauer hastily scrawled:
    >And that's a good example of why Tumble should be an opposed check,

    BAH!

    Ed Chauvin IV

    modifier G @ 11.

    --Terry Austin

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 12:56:40 +0200, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr>
    carved upon a tablet of ether:

    > > Or a class ability that allows your barbarian to avoid
    > > *all* sneak attack damage from invisible rogues.
    >
    > Right. Class ability, not a feat. Which can be negated by a rogue of a
    > high enough level. Which only nerfs the rogue's secondary source of
    > sneak attacks, the primary being flanking, IME at least.

    Immunity to surprise and invisible sneak-attacks cannot be trumped by
    level. Only the anti-flanking ability can.

    > > Or
    > > that lets you Take 10 on Tumble checks in combat, so
    > > you can automatically *succeed* in avoiding AoOs when
    > > tumbling through an opponent's threatened spaces.
    >
    > It's not that difficult to auto-succeed on tumble even without take 10,
    > BTW.

    IME by the time you could get the 'take 10 anytime' ability, even a
    'take 1' will do, and shortly thereafter it will even do for the DC25
    check to tumble through someone's space.

    --
    Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
    should be free."

    rboleyn@paradise.net.nz wrote:

    > > > Or a class ability that allows your barbarian to avoid
    > > > *all* sneak attack damage from invisible rogues.
    > >
    > > Right. Class ability, not a feat. Which can be negated by a rogue of a
    > > high enough level. Which only nerfs the rogue's secondary source of
    > > sneak attacks, the primary being flanking, IME at least.
    >
    > Immunity to surprise and invisible sneak-attacks cannot be trumped by
    > level. Only the anti-flanking ability can.

    You're right, of course. I misspoke.

    > > > Or
    > > > that lets you Take 10 on Tumble checks in combat, so
    > > > you can automatically *succeed* in avoiding AoOs when
    > > > tumbling through an opponent's threatened spaces.
    > >
    > > It's not that difficult to auto-succeed on tumble even without take 10,
    > > BTW.
    >
    > IME by the time you could get the 'take 10 anytime' ability, even a
    > 'take 1' will do, and shortly thereafter it will even do for the DC25
    > check to tumble through someone's space.

    Exactly. In my group, the halfling Rog13 has exaclty +24 tumble.

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    Clawhound wrote:

    > Second, in the 11+ level game, mobile types can die real quick
    > fulfilling their function. This is why rogues can tumble. This is why

    > monks tumble. This keeps combat dynamic, rather than stiff and barely

    > moving.
    >
    > That much said, I see how it can be munkined into a perpetual sneak
    > attack with no risk. In our game, we've been doing opposed tumble
    > checks. This seems to work.

    How no risk? Unless you also have spring attack you are stopping
    in range of the enemy with barely more HP than a wizard.

    IME, Rogue tumbles past enemy and takes his one sneak attack (or
    not if he needed to double move). Enemy turns and splaters Rogue
    over half the dungeon....

    IME, at that level the most effective single spell the Wiz has
    is Improved Invisibility on the Rogue. Even if the Rogue HAS a
    flank the ability to 5' step after the attack to hide, and the
    50% miss chance are needed to make it work.

    DougL

    Nikolas Landauer wrote:

    > Piggybacking; lost the original and don't want to use Google.
    >
    > Jasin Zujovic wrote:
    >
    >>monarchy@comcast.net wrote:
    >
    > <snip complaint about Mage Slayer>
    >
    >>>Or a class ability that allows your barbarian to
    >>>avoid *all* sneak attack damage from invisible
    >>>rogues.
    >>
    >>Which only nerfs the rogue's secondary source of
    >>sneak attacks, the primary being flanking, IME at
    >>least.
    >

    > Completely agreed. I consider the SA usage rankings to be, at least
    > IME: flanking, invisible, Feint/Imp.Feint, surprise.
    >

    >>>Or that lets you Take 10 on Tumble checks in
    >>>combat, so you can automatically *succeed* in
    >>>avoiding AoOs when tumbling through an
    >>>opponent's threatened spaces.
    >>
    >>It's not that difficult to auto-succeed on tumble
    >>even without take 10, BTW.
    >

    > And that's a good example of why Tumble should be an opposed check,
    > not an example of Skill Mastery being as bad an ability (note, also
    > not a feat) as Mage Slayer is a (mostly unrestricted) feat.

    First, that's a whole lot of levels to make that work. In the 11+ tier
    of the game, you expect this kind of mastery. Wizards and teleporting,
    clerics are raising dead, and the rogue are always making tumble rolls.
    That's all appropriate.

    Second, in the 11+ level game, mobile types can die real quick
    fulfilling their function. This is why rogues can tumble. This is why
    monks tumble. This keeps combat dynamic, rather than stiff and barely
    moving.

    That much said, I see how it can be munkined into a perpetual sneak
    attack with no risk. In our game, we've been doing opposed tumble
    checks. This seems to work.

    CH

    Clawhound wrote:
    > DougL wrote:
    >
    > > Clawhound wrote:
    > >

    > >>Second, in the 11+ level game, mobile types can die real quick
    > >>fulfilling their function. This is why rogues can tumble. This is
    why

    > >>monks tumble. This keeps combat dynamic, rather than stiff and
    barely

    > >>moving.
    > >>
    > >>That much said, I see how it can be munkined into a perpetual sneak
    > >>attack with no risk. In our game, we've been doing opposed tumble
    > >>checks. This seems to work.
    > >

    > > How no risk? Unless you also have spring attack you are stopping
    > > in range of the enemy with barely more HP than a wizard.
    > >
    > > IME, Rogue tumbles past enemy and takes his one sneak attack (or
    > > not if he needed to double move). Enemy turns and splaters Rogue
    > > over half the dungeon....
    > >
    > > IME, at that level the most effective single spell the Wiz has
    > > is Improved Invisibility on the Rogue. Even if the Rogue HAS a
    > > flank the ability to 5' step after the attack to hide, and the
    > > 50% miss chance are needed to make it work.
    > >
    > > DougL
    >
    > I assumed that mobility would be in any uber-tumble character design.
    > didn't see a need to spell it out.

    Um... I don't see why you would assume that. Why would an uber-tumble
    character want Mobility? Tumble and Mobility work at cross purposes.
    The higher your Tumble skill is, the more useless Mobility is for you.

    Mobility is for characters who don't have Tumble as a class skill,
    and/or those who want Spring/Whirlwind attack. For a rogue, it's
    basically a waste of a feat.

    > CH

    Laszlo

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:37:35 +0200, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr>
    carved upon a tablet of ether:

    > Exactly. In my group, the halfling Rog13 has exaclty +24 tumble.

    Our tumblers prefer a bit more - it gives an insurance against bad
    surfaces and multiple bad guys.

    --
    Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
    should be free."

    laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
    > Clawhound wrote:
    > > DougL wrote:

    > > > How no risk? Unless you also have spring attack you are stopping
    > > > in range of the enemy with barely more HP than a wizard.
    > > >
    > > > IME, Rogue tumbles past enemy and takes his one sneak attack (or
    > > > not if he needed to double move). Enemy turns and splaters Rogue
    > > > over half the dungeon....
    > > >
    > > > IME, at that level the most effective single spell the Wiz has
    > > > is Improved Invisibility on the Rogue. Even if the Rogue HAS a
    > > > flank the ability to 5' step after the attack to hide, and the
    > > > 50% miss chance are needed to make it work.

    > > I assumed that mobility would be in any uber-tumble character design.
    > > didn't see a need to spell it out.

    Why is tumble 24+ an uber-tumble character design?

    IME typical rogue makes it at level 13 or 14 with no real effort.
    +7/8 for dex and +16/17 for ranks, done.

    Uber-tumble characters get tumble from a +2/+2 feat acrobatic,
    takes skill focus for +3, and has at least a +1 from items/spells
    and make 24+ at about level 8. And still don't have spring attack
    because even a human at that level doesn't have enough FEATS to
    get spring attack with the rest. So he probably took Improved
    Initiative and Alertness rather than wasting two feats on low
    value prereq feats for something that becomes obsolete two
    levels before he can do it (hint: at level 7 the Wiz can cast
    greater invis, spring attack is then unnessesary).

    There are LOTS of Rogue builds with 24+ tumble and no spring
    attack.

    > Um... I don't see why you would assume that. Why would an uber-tumble
    > character want Mobility? Tumble and Mobility work at cross purposes.
    > The higher your Tumble skill is, the more useless Mobility is for you.
    >
    > Mobility is for characters who don't have Tumble as a class skill,
    > and/or those who want Spring/Whirlwind attack. For a rogue, it's
    > basically a waste of a feat.

    I assume he was using mobility as a shorthand for spring attack.

    But use of spring attack reduces the Rogue to one attack per turn,
    and against large/reach monsters isn't all that useful (you just
    don't have the movement range to move all that far at x2 movement
    cost), and you have spent 3 of the Rogue's VERY limited supply of
    feats.

    Greater Invis is just much better. One level four slot spent,
    and the Rogue likely does more damage than the rest of the party
    combined. Especially since NOT wasting feats on the Spring
    attack chain you have plenty for the TWF chain.

    DougL

    DougL wrote:

    > Clawhound wrote:
    >

    >>Second, in the 11+ level game, mobile types can die real quick
    >>fulfilling their function. This is why rogues can tumble. This is why
    >

    >>monks tumble. This keeps combat dynamic, rather than stiff and barely
    >

    >>moving.
    >>
    >>That much said, I see how it can be munkined into a perpetual sneak
    >>attack with no risk. In our game, we've been doing opposed tumble
    >>checks. This seems to work.
    >

    > How no risk? Unless you also have spring attack you are stopping
    > in range of the enemy with barely more HP than a wizard.
    >
    > IME, Rogue tumbles past enemy and takes his one sneak attack (or
    > not if he needed to double move). Enemy turns and splaters Rogue
    > over half the dungeon....
    >
    > IME, at that level the most effective single spell the Wiz has
    > is Improved Invisibility on the Rogue. Even if the Rogue HAS a
    > flank the ability to 5' step after the attack to hide, and the
    > 50% miss chance are needed to make it work.
    >
    > DougL

    I assumed that mobility would be in any uber-tumble character design. I
    didn't see a need to spell it out.

    CH

    rboleyn@paradise.net.nz wrote:

    > > Exactly. In my group, the halfling Rog13 has exaclty +24 tumble.
    >
    > Our tumblers prefer a bit more - it gives an insurance against bad
    > surfaces and multiple bad guys.

    Oh, she's not stopping at +24 (at least I wouldn't); it just so happens
    that +24 is her current total.

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    DougL wrote:

    > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
    >
    >>Clawhound wrote:

    >>>I assumed that mobility would be in any uber-tumble character design.

    >>>didn't see a need to spell it out.
    >

    > Why is tumble 24+ an uber-tumble character design?
    >
    > IME typical rogue makes it at level 13 or 14 with no real effort.
    > +7/8 for dex and +16/17 for ranks, done.
    >
    > Uber-tumble characters get tumble from a +2/+2 feat acrobatic,
    > takes skill focus for +3, and has at least a +1 from items/spells
    > and make 24+ at about level 8. And still don't have spring attack
    > because even a human at that level doesn't have enough FEATS to
    > get spring attack with the rest. So he probably took Improved
    > Initiative and Alertness rather than wasting two feats on low
    > value prereq feats for something that becomes obsolete two
    > levels before he can do it (hint: at level 7 the Wiz can cast
    > greater invis, spring attack is then unnessesary).
    >
    > There are LOTS of Rogue builds with 24+ tumble and no spring
    > attack.
    >

    >>Um... I don't see why you would assume that. Why would an uber-tumble
    >>character want Mobility? Tumble and Mobility work at cross purposes.
    >>The higher your Tumble skill is, the more useless Mobility is for you.
    >>
    >>Mobility is for characters who don't have Tumble as a class skill,
    >>and/or those who want Spring/Whirlwind attack. For a rogue, it's
    >>basically a waste of a feat.
    >

    > I assume he was using mobility as a shorthand for spring attack.
    >
    > But use of spring attack reduces the Rogue to one attack per turn,
    > and against large/reach monsters isn't all that useful (you just
    > don't have the movement range to move all that far at x2 movement
    > cost), and you have spent 3 of the Rogue's VERY limited supply of
    > feats.
    >
    > Greater Invis is just much better. One level four slot spent,
    > and the Rogue likely does more damage than the rest of the party
    > combined. Especially since NOT wasting feats on the Spring
    > attack chain you have plenty for the TWF chain.
    >
    > DougL

    Yes, it was shorthand. I meant the English word via common usage, and
    not the feat. A "mobility" character is one that is centered around
    movement on the battlefield, and using that movement to his advantage.
    An example is a rogue springing into dangerous territory, tumbling,
    striking, then retreating. Another example is a rogue that uses Improved
    Invisibility. "Mobility" referred to the character concept, rather than
    the implementation of that concept.

    As for my implementation opinion, redundancy is good. It's a poor
    mobility person who doesn't have every movement enhancer that her can
    get. Tumble might be good. Improved invisibility might be better. But
    tumble, improved invisibility, mobility, spring attack, and expedition
    retreat are all your friends because, as is true in any D&D game, the
    unexpected happens. It's always good to have a fallback plan.

    CH

    laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
    > Clawhound wrote:
    >
    >>DougL wrote:

    > why

    > barely

    >>>How no risk? Unless you also have spring attack you are stopping
    >>>in range of the enemy with barely more HP than a wizard.
    >>>
    >>>IME, Rogue tumbles past enemy and takes his one sneak attack (or
    >>>not if he needed to double move). Enemy turns and splaters Rogue
    >>>over half the dungeon....
    >>>
    >>>IME, at that level the most effective single spell the Wiz has
    >>>is Improved Invisibility on the Rogue. Even if the Rogue HAS a
    >>>flank the ability to 5' step after the attack to hide, and the
    >>>50% miss chance are needed to make it work.
    >>>
    >>>DougL
    >>
    >>I assumed that mobility would be in any uber-tumble character design.

    >>didn't see a need to spell it out.
    >

    > Um... I don't see why you would assume that. Why would an uber-tumble
    > character want Mobility?

    So they can get spring attack & avoid the full attack riposte?

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 14:10:51 -0400, Clawhound <none@nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    >I assumed that mobility would be in any uber-tumble character design. I
    >didn't see a need to spell it out.

    Mobility won't save the Rogue from the counter-attack. Even if the +4
    AC was enough to guarantee him safety it is only applied as a defense
    against Attacks of Opportunity from movement. With tumble, the rogue
    gets into place with no AoO fine. It's the attacks from his opponent's
    next turn that are the dangerous part and mobility does nothing for
    him.

    Spring attack is a different matter, but that limits the rogue to one
    attack a round, and he won't have enough movement to get to safety if
    the opponent decides to follow.

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 14:12:27 +0200, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr>
    carved upon a tablet of ether:

    > rboleyn@paradise.net.nz wrote:
    >
    > > > Exactly. In my group, the halfling Rog13 has exaclty +24 tumble.
    > >
    > > Our tumblers prefer a bit more - it gives an insurance against bad
    > > surfaces and multiple bad guys.
    >
    > Oh, she's not stopping at +24 (at least I wouldn't); it just so happens
    > that +24 is her current total.

    Ah.

    --

    Benjamin Adams wrote:
    > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
    > >
    > > Anyone who has seen a competent mid-to-high level druid in
    > > action knows that they are a munchkin's dream. Not only are
    > > they the only class to be both a primary caster and primary
    > > tank... AT THE SAME TIME
    >
    > Not quite at the same time. Even with Natural Spell, a
    > druid still has to choose, on a round-to-round basis,
    > whether he's going to spend his action meleeing or
    > spellcasting.

    Yeah. Just like any character who uses melee and spellcasting. Their
    BAB and feats will always lag behind any dedicated melee'er's

    > > (except possibly for clerics, see below), but they (normally)
    > > have the most powerful companion in the game, for FREE, with
    > > no real penalty for it dying...
    >
    > Animal companions are less powerful than they look.

    And much less so than a cohort.

    > In high-level encounters, they get splattered real quick,

    Lack of AC and save boosts is a big culprit here, yep.

    > Unless, of course, the druid spends a significant portion of
    > his spell slots and/or equipment budget buffing it up, and
    > that too has a cost.

    IIRC, most of Laszlo's experience with balance between classes is his
    silly, skewed "arena" battles, not actual play experience.

    > > AND they have mobility unmatched by anyone except wizards,

    (piggybacked) Oh, come on. Monks have massive mobility. Anyone with
    UMD can use arcane scrolls, and thus match the wizard. Beyond that,
    mobility-bsed magic items are highly coveted, not uncommon, and almost
    always (IME) go to the fighters and rogues.

    > > I don't even wanna get into the pure cheese that is
    > > spontaneous Summon Nature's Ally.
    >
    > Summon Nature's Ally is balanced by the 1-round casting time.

    Anyone who claims any Summon $foo spell is "pure cheese" is playing a
    significantly different game than the rest of us.

    > > Clerics come close to simultaneously being a primary caster
    > > and primary tank (if they want to), but they lack the
    > > companion, the mobility, the versatility, and the pure
    > > spontaneous summoning cheese.
    >
    > Clerics still have one action per round, just like anyone else.

    And have better spells, a slightly better weapon selection, a
    massively better armor selection, channeling and the coolness that is
    divine feats, and domain spells and abilities. Spont-cure is *far*
    better for a "primary tank" than spont-summon is, which belies
    Laszlo's claim.

    (next two responses are piggybacked)

    > > Also, Clerics need, at the very minimum, Str and Wis to be
    > > effective, while also needing to keep Con and Dex from
    > > falling too low. And they miss out on a significant part
    > > of their class abilities with a low Cha. That's called
    > > Multiple Attribute Dependency, and it helps keep clerics
    > > in check somewhat. Druids? Druids need Wis. And that's it.

    So they don't have any particular need to be good at handling animals?
    That negates the companion "advantage" you claimed above.

    > > They can have a natural Str, Dex, AND Con of 6 and still
    > > be just as effective in melee.

    Until they need to go out of wild shape for whatever reason (such as
    to use most magic items)... Or if they encounter antimagic (which
    will often result in a drastic and possibly unexpected hp reduction,
    possibly killing them).

    --

    Tristan wrote:
    > >> Nikolas Landauer wrote:
    > > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
    >
    > >> channeling and the coolness that is divine feats, and domain spells
    > >> and abilities. Spont-cure is *far* better for a "primary tank" than
    > >> spont-summon is, which belies Laszlo's claim.
    > >
    > > No, it's not. As opposed to 2nd ed and earlier, in 3.5, curing spells
    > > can only rarely be used in combat. With the massive damage that can be
    > > done to a character in a single round, it just usually isn't worth it
    > > to use anything short of Heal in battle. This is _especially_ true for
    > > a melee build who's on the front lines. You just don't see clerics
    > > curing themselves in combat, except in fairly special and rare
    > > circumstances.
    >
    > IME the opposite is true. With the massive damage that can be done to a
    > character in a single round, it is *essential* to use the strongest healing
    > spell available in battle. There are 8 players at my gaming table every
    > week. It is damn close to impossible to kill any of them with two clerics
    > running around all the time dropping cure spells. They just reached a point
    > where heal was an option but if they had held off in-combat healing for that
    > spell they would never have reached that point.

    This I can believe... with 8 characters, it's a lot less likely that
    their opponents will be able to focus their attacks on a single
    character. Futher, it's much more possible for one or two characters to
    focus on healing, instead of doing something to help kill the
    opponents.

    Almost every group I DM'ed for or played in had 3-5 members, so that's
    what I have experience with. With 3-5 members, you just can't afford to
    have the divine caster (there's generally only one) heal: he's too
    critical in the buffing or melee roles (depending on build).

    > - Tristan

    Laszlo

    >> Nikolas Landauer wrote:
    > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

    >> channeling and the coolness that is divine feats, and domain spells
    >> and abilities. Spont-cure is *far* better for a "primary tank" than
    >> spont-summon is, which belies Laszlo's claim.
    >
    > No, it's not. As opposed to 2nd ed and earlier, in 3.5, curing spells
    > can only rarely be used in combat. With the massive damage that can be
    > done to a character in a single round, it just usually isn't worth it
    > to use anything short of Heal in battle. This is _especially_ true for
    > a melee build who's on the front lines. You just don't see clerics
    > curing themselves in combat, except in fairly special and rare
    > circumstances.

    IME the opposite is true. With the massive damage that can be done to a
    character in a single round, it is *essential* to use the strongest healing
    spell available in battle. There are 8 players at my gaming table every
    week. It is damn close to impossible to kill any of them with two clerics
    running around all the time dropping cure spells. They just reached a point
    where heal was an option but if they had held off in-combat healing for that
    spell they would never have reached that point.

    - Tristan

    Mere moments before death, Rupert Boleyn hastily scrawled:

    >> Dire Apes can use most magic items fine.
    >
    >Really? They're large, so most of the druid's gear won't fit.

    From the RotG article on Polymorphing:

    "In general, a change from one form that has a humanoid shape to
    another form that has a humanoid shape leaves all equipment in place
    and functioning. The subject's equipment changes to match the assumed
    form. It becomes the appropriate size for the assumed form and it fits
    the assumed form."

    >They don't have good hands, so you can say goodbye to any spells requiring
    >somatic components. As for amulets, etc. - I can't find anything in
    >this edition, but in 3.x it was mentioned that turning into dragon
    >form with a polymorph meant your rings, etc., melded and turned off.
    >If this is no longer the case, we have an 'interesting' preceedent.

    Maybe in 3.0, but in the current version a Dire Ape form would retain
    virtually all equipment. We just had a flamefest on this subject a
    few months ago.

    Ed Chauvin IV

    modifier G @ 11.

    --Terry Austin

    laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote in

    > All that aside, the druid is still a great class (well above average,
    > power-wise) for levels 5-7 and 16-20. Levels 1-4 is the only time when
    > they're below average.

    I wouldn't call them below average from 1-4. Those levels are when
    the animal companion seriously rocks the house.

    -Ben Adams

    Benjamin Adams wrote:
    > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote in
    >
    > > All that aside, the druid is still a great class (well above average,
    > > power-wise) for levels 5-7 and 16-20. Levels 1-4 is the only time when
    > > they're below average.
    >
    > I wouldn't call them below average from 1-4. Those levels are when
    > the animal companion seriously rocks the house.
    >
    > -Ben Adams

    True, but at low levels, the Druid's low Handle Animal skill really
    cramps their animal companion's style.

    Laszlo

    laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

    > Benjamin Adams wrote:
    > > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote in
    > >
    > > > All that aside, the druid is still a great class (well above average,
    > > > power-wise) for levels 5-7 and 16-20. Levels 1-4 is the only time when
    > > > they're below average.
    > >
    > > I wouldn't call them below average from 1-4. Those levels are when
    > > the animal companion seriously rocks the house.
    > >
    > > -Ben Adams
    >
    > True, but at low levels, the Druid's low Handle Animal skill really
    > cramps their animal companion's style.

    What are you talking about? The DC to handle an animal
    is 10. A 1st-level druid with 4 ranks in Handle Animal
    and a +0 Cha modifier fails his check only on a natural
    1! (Give him a Cha above 11 and he can't fail.) As
    long as he selects his companion's tricks wisely, he's
    golden.

    -Bluto

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 03:42:34 -0400, Nikolas Landauer
    <dacileva.flea@hotmail.com.tick> dared speak in front of ME:

    >> > AND they have mobility unmatched by anyone except wizards,
    >
    >(piggybacked) Oh, come on. Monks have massive mobility. Anyone with
    >UMD can use arcane scrolls, and thus match the wizard. Beyond that,
    >mobility-bsed magic items are highly coveted, not uncommon, and almost
    >always (IME) go to the fighters and rogues.

    Seems to me that this just proves the non-spellcasters require more
    crutches than spellcasters.

    --
    Address no longer works.
    try removing all numbers from

    In article <5q8a91hpo3nq9fg8u4v20bd2251uuk4ed8@4ax.com>,
    Kaos <kaos@xplornet.com> wrote:
    >On 25 May 2005 05:02:17 -0700, laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu dared speak
    >in front of ME:
    >>I'm going to assume
    >
    >Don't, unless you want to reveal yourself as clingling blindly to your
    >preconceptions.
    >
    >--
    >Address no longer works.
    >try removing all numbers from
    >gafgirl1@2allstream3.net

    Welcome back. We were just talking in another thread about how you and a few
    others seemed to have vanished.

    On 28 May 2005 01:04:29 GMT, dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca (David Alex Lamb)
    dared speak in front of ME:

    >In article <5q8a91hpo3nq9fg8u4v20bd2251uuk4ed8@4ax.com>,
    >Kaos <kaos@xplornet.com> wrote:
    >>On 25 May 2005 05:02:17 -0700, laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu dared speak
    >>in front of ME:
    >>>I'm going to assume
    >>
    >>Don't, unless you want to reveal yourself as clingling blindly to your
    >>preconceptions.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Address no longer works.
    >>try removing all numbers from
    >>gafgirl1@2allstream3.net
    >
    >Welcome back. We were just talking in another thread about how you and a few
    >others seemed to have vanished.

    Aww.... I was missed :)
    Had to take time off to focus on finding work. Once that was found, I
    signed up for a wireless broadband provider (the very one I'm
    installing for) and discovered that individual.net went to a pay
    method and my new ISP didn't provide usenet access. So I had to fight
    to find a new NNTP provider.

    --

    "Kaos" <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in message

    > Aww.... I was missed :)
    > Had to take time off to focus on finding work. Once that was found, I
    > signed up for a wireless broadband provider (the very one I'm
    > installing for) and discovered that individual.net went to a pay
    > method and my new ISP didn't provide usenet access. So I had to fight
    > to find a new NNTP provider.

    What a pain. Welcome back.

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

    Kaos wrote:
    > >> Mileage varies. I've maganged the same with a wizard 2-3 levels higher
    > >> than a PC party. Actually, the survivors surrendured after half the
    > >> party was killed.
    > >
    > >I'm going to assume
    >
    > Don't, unless you want to reveal yourself as clingling blindly to your
    > preconceptions.

    Making assumptions is a normal and necessary part of human thinking.
    "Clinging blindly" occurs when one persists in their assumptions in the
    face of compelling contrary evidence.

    If you can show me just one occurence of the latter in my case, you
    have a point. Otherwise, you don't.

    Also, welcome back. May the rest of your contributions be more
    carefully considered than this one. ;)

    Laszlo

    Senator Blutarsky wrote:
    > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
    > >
    > > Benjamin Adams wrote:
    > > > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote in

    > > > I wouldn't call them below average from 1-4. Those levels are when
    > > > the animal companion seriously rocks the house.
    > > >
    > > > -Ben Adams
    > >
    > > True, but at low levels, the Druid's low Handle Animal skill really
    > > cramps their animal companion's style.
    >
    > What are you talking about? The DC to handle an animal
    > is 10. A 1st-level druid with 4 ranks in Handle Animal
    > and a +0 Cha modifier fails his check only on a natural
    > 1! (Give him a Cha above 11 and he can't fail.) As
    > long as he selects his companion's tricks wisely, he's
    > golden.

    The existing tricks are rather limited. Pushing an animal companion is
    key to using it effectively.

    Laszlo

    Senator Blutarsky wrote:
    > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
    > >
    > > Benjamin Adams wrote:
    > > > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote in

    > > > I wouldn't call them below average from 1-4. Those levels are when
    > > > the animal companion seriously rocks the house.
    > > >
    > > > -Ben Adams
    > >
    > > True, but at low levels, the Druid's low Handle Animal skill really
    > > cramps their animal companion's style.
    >
    > What are you talking about? The DC to handle an animal
    > is 10. A 1st-level druid with 4 ranks in Handle Animal
    > and a +0 Cha modifier fails his check only on a natural
    > 1! (Give him a Cha above 11 and he can't fail.) As
    > long as he selects his companion's tricks wisely, he's
    > golden.

    What are *you* talking about? If he rolls a 1-5, he fails. That's a 25%
    chance of failure.

    Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; sure, in some situations he can take
    10, but . . . your math is wrong.

    laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

    > Senator Blutarsky wrote:
    > > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
    > > >
    > > > True, but at low levels, the Druid's low Handle Animal skill really
    > > > cramps their animal companion's style.
    > >
    > > What are you talking about? The DC to handle an animal
    > > is 10. A 1st-level druid with 4 ranks in Handle Animal
    > > and a +0 Cha modifier fails his check only on a natural
    > > 1! (Give him a Cha above 11 and he can't fail.) As
    > > long as he selects his companion's tricks wisely, he's
    > > golden.
    >
    > The existing tricks are rather limited. Pushing an animal companion is
    > key to using it effectively.

    If you can't use your animal companion effectively at
    least 90% of the time without pushing it, you're
    choosing the wrong tricks.

    -Bluto

    On 28 May 2005 01:55:48 -0700, laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu dared speak
    in front of ME:

    >> >I'm going to assume
    >>
    >> Don't, unless you want to reveal yourself as clingling blindly to your
    >> preconceptions.
    >
    >Making assumptions is a normal and necessary part of human thinking.

    On occasion, but in this case it was unnecessary. You could have
    asked just as easily, rather than choosing and expounding apon the
    assumption that fit your preconceptions.

    >"Clinging blindly" occurs when one persists in their assumptions in the
    >face of compelling contrary evidence.
    >
    >If you can show me just one occurence of the latter in my case, you
    >have a point. Otherwise, you don't.

    You made the assumption that would (if it bore out) dismiss the
    contrary evidence. That indicates an unwillingness to accept that the
    evidence may have been compelling.

    >Also, welcome back. May the rest of your contributions be more
    >carefully considered than this one. ;)

    Pfft. Where's the fun in that?
    --

    Aaron F. Bourque wrote:

    > What are *you* talking about? If he rolls a 1-5, he fails. That's a 25%
    > chance of failure.
    >
    > Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; sure, in some situations he can take
    > 10, but . . . your math is wrong.

    No, it isn't. +4 circumstance bonus.

    -Will

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 22:22:47 -0700, "Malachias Invictus"
    <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> dared speak in front of ME:

    >"Kaos" <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> Aww.... I was missed :)
    >> Had to take time off to focus on finding work. Once that was found, I
    >> signed up for a wireless broadband provider (the very one I'm
    >> installing for) and discovered that individual.net went to a pay
    >> method and my new ISP didn't provide usenet access. So I had to fight
    >> to find a new NNTP provider.
    >
    >What a pain. Welcome back.

    TYVM.
    --

    Kaos wrote:
    > On 28 May 2005 01:55:48 -0700, laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu dared speak
    > in front of ME:
    >
    > >"Clinging blindly" occurs when one persists in their assumptions in the
    > >face of compelling contrary evidence.
    > >
    > >If you can show me just one occurence of the latter in my case, you
    > >have a point. Otherwise, you don't.
    >
    > You made the assumption that would (if it bore out) dismiss the
    > contrary evidence. That indicates an unwillingness to accept that the
    > evidence may have been compelling.

    *coughbullshitcough*

    Rupert's response showed that my assumption was incorrect... and my
    very next response to _that_ showed that I accepted his example, and I
    asked further questions to try and figure out why our experiences were
    dissimilar.

    > >Also, welcome back. May the rest of your contributions be more
    > >carefully considered than this one. ;)
    >
    > Pfft. Where's the fun in that?

    Heh, fair enough.

    Laszlo

    Symbol wrote:
    > <laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Rupert Boleyn wrote:
    >
    > > > If the character has Natural Spell shape is irrelevant, so why'd you
    > > > bring it up?
    > >
    > > Because the Dire Ape shape might be relevant for wearing stuff like
    > > cloaks and vests, depending on how your DM interprets the rules. (I
    > > don't know whether a Dire Lion should be allowed to wear a cloak, for
    > > instance; I could see a DM going either way on that. But any reasonable
    > > DM would have to allow a Dire Ape to wear one.)
    >
    > If you allow Dire Lions to wear cloaks you aren't fit to be discussing
    > what reasonable DMs should allow.

    My head hurts when you talk.

    Laszlo

    > Symbol wrote:
    > > <laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote in message

    > > > Because the Dire Ape shape might be relevant for wearing stuff like
    > > > cloaks and vests, depending on how your DM interprets the rules. (I
    > > > don't know whether a Dire Lion should be allowed to wear a cloak,
    for
    > > > instance; I could see a DM going either way on that. But any
    reasonable
    > > > DM would have to allow a Dire Ape to wear one.)
    > >
    > > If you allow Dire Lions to wear cloaks you aren't fit to be discussing
    > > what reasonable DMs should allow.
    >
    > My head hurts when you talk.

    Good.

Video Games