Need some Expert insight here!

BuGaLoU

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I am working on a friend of mine's computer and I have had the strangest problem out of it. He wants Windows 2000 Pro on his comp, so I format the hard drive NTFS, then proceed to install, I get through the coping files and it reboots and proceeds to the first view of the desk top and then BAM BSOD. The error is something to the tone of "The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly" Check your hardware.. I looked up the error codes on MS's web site with now help. I replaced the entired mobo with a different brand... same thing. Replaced the video card, same thing. Tried several different DIMMS, same thing. Removed all bu bare bone components... Same thing.

The only 2 things left it could be is the hard drive of processor. I am hinting at the processor because it is an old P3 Katmai with the 1/2 speed 512k cache. I don't really see how the processor is doing this, but I can't see what else could be causing it. Any suggestions?

Computer: $2000 Internet Access: $40 Registering for forums: Free A good signature: Priceless<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BuGaLoU on 01/13/02 10:02 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
take win2kSP2(sp2updated) and reinstall after format.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

BuGaLoU

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Ok, I made a Win2k setup CS with sp2. Now I'm installing, Doing that as I speak.

I have never seen a prob like this before. I find it odd it could actually be the processor. I can't see any other device that dcould actually cause this problem. I have used 2 different mobo's with a BX chipset and a VIA chipset with the same results. Used a 3dfx, and a Nvidia 3d card, and used different memory brands (crucial, hundia, and some other brand). Can't find much on the internet about it either.

Computer: $2000 Internet Access: $40 Registering for forums: Free A good signature: Priceless<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BuGaLoU on 01/13/02 06:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

BuGaLoU

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Sweet works now!

Thanks for the help!

Computer: $2000 Internet Access: $40 Registering for forums: Free A good signature: Priceless