Sign in with
Your question

Putting my money where my mouth is!

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2002 7:12:16 PM

I just ordered the Powerleap iP3/T with Celeron 1.2GHz Tualatin package for $169. I WILL be pushing for 1.6GHz at 133MHz FSB. I WILL do the 1.475v to 1.675 voltage mod. The CPU should be here in a week. The motherboard I picked should be here tomarrow.
I'm using a motherboard that is NOT VARRIFIED for the iP3/T with Tualatin, the Epox BX3 rev .5. Since it was inexpensive, a good brand, not blacklisted by Powerleap, and supports 133MHz FSB overclocking, I decided to take the chance that it will work.
As you can see, I'm a man of action and don't take my recommendations lightly. The fastest video card I have right now is an original version Radeon LE, but I'll post some results for all of you, should the motherboard be compatable.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

More about : putting money mouth

January 13, 2002 8:21:12 PM

Powerleap iP3/T ?

Isn't that only meant to be used if you have an old slot 1 mobo or something like that and want to use the Tualatin ?

Why not buy a completely new mobo designed for the Tualatin ? Wouldn't that be cheaper ? How much do you have to pay for all components ?

/Copenhagen - P4 Willamette 1700MHz@2109 MHz, Vcore 1.75V@2.20V on Abit TH7II-RAID.
January 13, 2002 8:56:46 PM

Go Crashie! Go!

Can I have the gfx card when you blow the CPU & mobo?

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>
Related resources
January 13, 2002 9:11:39 PM

just be careful with your IDE devices and high fsb!

The only loyalties i have is to Performance, Cost
Reliability and the Truth.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2002 9:16:07 PM

No, it cost the same for the motherboard I purchased and the iP3/T as it would for a TUSL2-C. But the TUSL2-C only accepts 512MB RAM, and is still a notch below the BX for performance/stability/compatability.

I needed a new system to test parts. To avoid compatability issues I prefer the BX chipset. Whenever I get around to building a "State of the Art" system, this one get demoted to the bench.

Total cost is $205 for the motherboard, CPU, adapter, cooler.

I'm still waiting on more choices in non-VIA chipset boards before I build my next AMD system. Right now the XP333 looks like a good choice, but I have the feeling that SiS's latest chipsets have more potential, and am waiting for more motherboards based on SiS chisets. My luck is that if I bought the XP333 today, somone would release a super SiS board that outperforms it significantly or offers more features I want...tomarrow. Oh, nVidia is still a consideration as well, and I'm giving their solution more time to mature. The final piece of the puzzle is that I'm waiting for the Thoroughbred.

Since I wanted another BX system, the iP3/T combo looked like a worthwhile investment while I wait for all the AMD stuff to get sorted out.

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2002 9:27:22 PM

The 133FSB setting give me a 133/89/33MHz FSB/AGP/PCI ratio. Since the southbridge (and thus the IDE controller) sits on the PCI bus, IDE won't be a problem. I'm experienced enough in the BX chipset to know this from experience.

January 13, 2002 9:29:33 PM

I figure you know this already, but the 64MB DDR Radeon is decent on oc'ing @ 2/3 FSB. Don't know if the retail (my one) is any different than the OEM though. Maybe only on Hz rates.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>
January 13, 2002 9:38:09 PM

Quote:

I'm still waiting on more choices in non-VIA chipset boards before I build my next AMD system. Right now the XP333 looks like a good choice, but I have the feeling that SiS's latest chipsets have more potential, and am waiting for more motherboards based on SiS chisets. My luck is that if I bought the XP333 today, somone would release a super SiS board that outperforms it significantly or offers more features I want...tomarrow. Oh, nVidia is still a consideration as well, and I'm giving their solution more time to mature. The final piece of the puzzle is that I'm waiting for the Thoroughbred.

Don't forget that the IWill XP333 supports the 400MHz FSB as well, which most upcoming boards won't.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
January 13, 2002 9:39:38 PM

"super SiS board"
funny u should say that.
SiS is planning such a board. as is via
the SiS745 and KT333 respectively.
thats what im waiting for before i upgrade to DDR.

although by looking at the spec's thus far, they still only "officially" support 200/266 fsb athlons, running asynchronously with PC2700 ram.

they would be quite dumb however to limit themselves that way, changing to 166(333)fsb would be a sinch... especialy for those of us with unlocked multipliers.

im allready doing the overclocking in my head :) 
athlon 1200C....overclockable to 1450 or so
soooo
8.5 x 166 = 1416mhz with PC2700 DDR and pci/agp within spec. YUM.

The only loyalties i have is to Performance, Cost
Reliability and the Truth.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2002 9:43:16 PM

My 32MB DDR TVO card has been used at 89MHz AGP succesfully in the past, no stability problems.

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2002 9:47:43 PM

Funny thing! If I overclock the Celeron to 1.6GHz, even with the adapter it cost about the same as an Athlon XP1800+, which will also overclock to around 1.6GHz. The performance? Probably about 10% lower for the overclocked Celeron. But it get's my BX platform together.

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2002 10:51:13 PM

Great chipsets require great manufacturers to integrate them.

January 14, 2002 12:26:03 AM

Yes, my thoughts exactly....
I am also waiting for the SiS 745 chipset before I make the transition to DDR.
As far as the KT333 goes--bah!!! I'm not wasting my hard earned cash for a data-corrupting, compatability-conflicting, crash-proned, IDE-troubled, VIA chipset!! And I won't give a rat's ass even if it will be 2% faster than the rest of the competetion!

My only wish right now--is that a top-tier maker like Asus, Abit, or MSI comes out with a SiS745 board. And if VIA tries to threat top mobo makers into cutting their chipset supply if they use the SiS chipset, like they did with the SiS735, I will personally have a grudge against VIA for the rest of my life! I just hope Asus learned a lesson when ECS took the market crown from them after their very successful SiS735 motherboard.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!
January 14, 2002 12:28:58 AM

Oppps! The first paragraph of my previous post was meant for LHGPooBaa, and the second for Crashman.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 14, 2002 12:36:24 AM

I don't know how I'd blow the mobo, but thanks for the thought. The CPU has thermal and voltage protection, I'm sure if 1.675v is enough to damage it, it will simply not fire up! But after operating the K6-2 at 2.8v for years, and the PIII Coppermine at up to 2.6v, I'm just cocky enough to think that this will work with relative assuraty.

January 14, 2002 12:50:24 AM

Quote:
Funny thing! If I overclock the Celeron to 1.6GHz, even with the adapter it cost about the same as an Athlon XP1800+, which will also overclock to around 1.6GHz. The performance? Probably about 10% lower for the overclocked Celeron. But it get's my BX platform together

Actually they do on average 1.8ghz aircooled, but whos counting eh.

www.athlonoc.com

^source.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 14, 2002 1:06:35 AM

I've seen the Tualatin hit over 1800, but don't know what the average is. I thought Tom had to use water cooling to hit 1800 with an XP?

January 14, 2002 1:14:45 AM

First of all, the guy who has been doing the cpu articles lately is a MORON.

He wouldnt know how to overclock if it bit him in the ass.(he once acted surprised he couldnt get a tbird to 1.6ghz with his great heatsink, the heatsink was a goddamned silverado lol)

Secondly, www.athlonoc.com has a chart showing the average aircooled overclock, I believe it was 1800mhz for the 1800+, (max was 1890 all aircooled).

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 14, 2002 1:43:04 AM

Tualatin's probably too unpopular to get an average overclock list.

!