Laptop For Video Editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

akbarbasha

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Hello friends,

I am planning to buy a new laptop with i5 processor. Am confused with the GPU selection. I watch a lot of HD movies and mostly use software like Adobe Premiere Pro, Photoshop, After Effects and Avid Media Composor. Video Editing will be the major work on the laptop. I have got few option within my budget, please help me choose the right one for me.

Option 01 :
Compaq Presario - 32000 INR
Intel i5 2.53 GHz
3 GB 1066 MHz DDR
500 GB (5400 rpm)
Intel® HD Graphics.

Option 02 :
HP Pavilion - 41250 INR
Intel i5 2.66 GHz
3 GB DDR3
500 GB (5400 rpm)
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 6370 Graphics 512 MB (Switchable)
e-SATA

Option 03 :
Dell Inspiron - 43200 INR
Intel i5 2.3 GHz
4 GB DDR3
500GB (5400 rpm)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M - 1GB
USB 3.0
e-SATA

Option 04 :
Intel i5 2.3 GHz
4 GB DDR3
500GB (5400 rpm)
AMD Radeon™ HD 6470M - 1GB
USB 3.0
e-SATA

Option 04 :
Intel i5 2.3 GHz
4 GB DDR3
500GB (5400 rpm)
Intel HD Graphics 3000
USB 3.0
e-SATA

As you can see the Dell products have additional features like eSATA and USB 3.0 Ports.

I repeat, this laptop will be majorly used for VIDEO EDITING.

Thank you so much.

Solution
nvidia graphics in laptops - forget about it they still suffer issues especially long term work etc

hp/compaq in general and there designs are just NO

video editing - 99% is CPU - can you afford an i7? the threads help for high end video editing

im more of a fan of dells if you have ever work on/with one internally there 1000X better then the rest (oversize cooling etc)

for long term the units with the intel graphics will last the longest, even batter life should be more and most video editing software wont touch the video cards anyhow
nvidia graphics in laptops - forget about it they still suffer issues especially long term work etc

hp/compaq in general and there designs are just NO

video editing - 99% is CPU - can you afford an i7? the threads help for high end video editing

im more of a fan of dells if you have ever work on/with one internally there 1000X better then the rest (oversize cooling etc)

for long term the units with the intel graphics will last the longest, even batter life should be more and most video editing software wont touch the video cards anyhow

Solution

upd@te

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Laptops should not be used mainly for video editing. You could use it for editing but not as a substitute for a dedicated CPU. My suggestion if you are really gonna use it for video editing, at least get an i7. Like apache_lives said, the extra threads do make a difference when rendering tracks, uploading, etc.

Also I suggest you buy a cooling pad so that your laptop will not be that stressed when video editing.

That said, if you won't consider an i7 processor, laptop 3 is the best. The nvidia 525m will help you. While it does not have an impact on the actual video editing, if you are going to you adobe after effects and similar softwares for special effects and the like, the graphics card will make a slight difference. It is also beneficial if you are going to do light-moderate gaming, the graphic card supports recent games on medium settings since it has a relatively decent clock speed.

akbarbasha

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Thank you so much for your responses..

apache_lives : Adobe claims that NVIDIA's CUDA technology is supported by Premiere Pro for GPU acceleration.

upd@te : I totally agree with you. I have a desktop machine for editing, i am not gonna use this 24/7 for editing but i want this laptop to be a good machine for editing, so that i can keep working even when i am travelling.

i7 is way out of my budget.. :)

upd@te

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Cool! Thats good to hear. :)
Yeah, laptops are fine for moderate video editing.
Is Premiere Pro good? Im using Vegas Pro 10 at the moment and I'm loving it! :)

akbarbasha

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Yea Premiere Pro is good, supports almost every video formats and it allows us to import and export projects from fcp and avid. I used Vegas three years ago, I hope it has improved, should try it sometime..

akbarbasha

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Thank you so much apache_lives and upd@te. Am gonna get a Dell XPS with i7 processor, please check the link and tell me whether the deal is worth buying.
http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-l702x/pd?oc=dndoku1&model_id=xps-l702x

Thank you..

Status
Not open for further replies.