Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows Update has messed up my Video driver

Last response: in Windows 7
February 15, 2013 4:49:00 PM

Hi, I am using a Dell laptop with Windows 7 and today I did Microsoft Update. I downloaded 12 updated (15th Feb), mostly for Microsoft.NET. However, when my computer restarted my video was messed up (Desktop icons [96 of them!] all jumbled and wrong resolution). Apparently this update changed my video driver from the original Intel one to a standard Windows driver. Now, when I go to display properties, the max resolution is 1076 x 800 instead of my usual 1260 x 1076 (not sure exactly of figures). After about two hours trawling various Microsoft ''support' sites and not being able to report this (major?) fault with a series of updates, I come here to plead for help. How do I resore my original driver and desktop setup. Bad news is that System Restore does not work for me - I tried twice with different dates and each time, at the very end, it said one file was missing (different file each time)... very frustrating.
Please help... much appreciated.
Vincent

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 15, 2013 5:41:03 PM

Log into safe mode (F8 at startup) and go to the device manager ( control panel / System / Device manager) and roll back the viedo driver and reboot computer.... you should be fine and now do a windows update again and hide the video driver update.
February 15, 2013 5:49:10 PM

Go to support.dell.com and enter in your service tag along with your operating system. There you should find the video driver you may of had before.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 15, 2013 10:44:03 PM

Best answer selected by Brett928S2.
a b $ Windows 7
February 15, 2013 10:44:06 PM

This topic has been closed by Brett928S2
!