RDRAM price VS DDR price CAD

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Actually, socket 478 P4 are slightly more expensive <A HREF="http://www.canadacomputers.com/cpu.html" target="_new">here</A>. I also doubt the P4 2.0A will be cheaper than the 2GHz P4 because it's currently costs around $399 in the States and will therefore cost just over $600 here in Canada.

<i>I can't believe how many Canadians there are on these forums!</i>

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
juin why don't you mention that rdram has to be run in pairs? You have to buy 2 of them doubling the price!
hehehe nice try juin.

jeff

jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
juin why don't you mention that rdram has to be run in pairs? You have to buy 2 of them doubling the price!
hehehe nice try juin.

jeff

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Not true !

I only have one stick of RDRAM in mine, along with a continuity module it works fine !

Tim

I am Homer of Borg ! Prepare to be... MMMhhhhh Doughnuts

no!

you have to buy a 64MB rdram and you have to buy two to get 128, otherwise it's 256MB your compareing to 128. Do it right. Price out the two 64MB rimms add them together and then compare it to the 128mb ddr-sdram dimm stick. You have to compare to the price of two rdram rimms with one ddr-sdram dimm of the same total ram size. Thats fair and more realistic since rdram is paired.

but you are right in that rdram is getting cheaper. I will also say that rdram is the better RAM as far as i'm concerned. I have yet to hear one person complain about RDRAM. DDR on the other hand; mix up brand names, and you got a problem. Also there are like 14 million different configurations for ddr. You got pc1600, pc2100, pc2400, and pc2700 and then you have brand names so do the math. With RDRAM you have pc600 and pc800 and thats that, with pc1066(Or something like that) coming around. There are no problems with mixing name brands as far as i know.

However i have noticed a difference from sdram to ddr. Why rdram wasn't chosen instead of ddr might be because of Rambus's litagation of sueing everyone for bs.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

you don't have the full bandwidth. You have what is equivalent to that of pc1600. RDRAM uses dual channel architecture and to make use of the system full potential you need 2 sticks otherwise you are reducing the systems performance by quite a bit.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
<blockquote><font size=1>Svar på:</font><hr><p>I only have one stick of RDRAM in mine, along with a continuity module it works fine ! <p><hr></blockquote><p>Then maybe you have a single channel RAMBUS system => Bad performance.

/Copenhagen - P4 Willamette 1700MHz@2109 MHz, Vcore 1.75V@2.20V on Abit TH7II-RAID.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
He has a Pentium III system. All Pentium 4 systems using the i850 chipset motherboards require two RDRAM modules.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Skater, RDRam's main weakness is the high latency. That offsets just about all it's bandwidth advantage. Some of this latency could be with the P4, but I think much is due to the inherent design of RDRam itself.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

ya perhaps.

I've heard both stories.

RDRAM doesn't have a latency issue and then i hear it does. So what to believe?

Perhaps you're right and the latency offsets it's bandwidth. What would happen if both had the same bandwidth on a P4? pc800 rdram vs pc3200? Or even dual channel ddr at pc4200 (double pc2100 sticks).

I remember seeing how pc2700 (or was it pc2400) evened-out with rdram and even beat it in some bencmarks.

So perhaps your right. Interesting.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I think you're talking about the SiS645 chipset that supports PC2700. It pulled even with the i850 platform.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>