166FSB + thouroughbred :(

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
from all reports im reading, thouroughbred WONT have official 166(333)fsb support :(

why are they doing this???

333fsb is easily achievable at the moment (abeit with the right overclocking/chipset/PCI dividers), and a new host of motherboards are comming out soon that support DDR333. unfortunately it seems, spec's for the new chipsets say they still only officially support 200/266fsb, thus the extra bandwidth of PC2700 would essentially be wasted in a asynchronous setup :(

sure one could overclock, but its getting harder to do that from the days of athlon and the "pencil trick", and it would be alot better to have official support

why???
AMD could easily have lots more performance for essentailly no cost.

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
LHGPooBaa, don't worry, the IWill XP333 supports FSBs all the way up to 400MHz. Get the fastest RAM you can find (PC3000, is currently the fastest, I believe, unless you can find PC3200), and run your FSB at 400MHz, you'll have an Athlon system with the highest IPC without overclocking your PCI/AGP bus!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
If the Appaloosa has a 266FSB and 64/64L1,128L2 I'll be happy.

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek:

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Ohh yeah baby, nice title - probably worse than nimble knuckle and going to take a lot more posts to get off....

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Well, like people say, there are several boards out there that already support 166FSB+ without putting PCI/AGP out of spec, 1/5 and 1/6 dividers.

Also, what is to stop AMD releasing an official 166/333FSB thoroughbred later, like the 100/200->133/266 Athlon? At the very least they need to keep both FSBs available due to the number of 133/266FSB motherboards out there that won't support 166/333FSB....

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
Already out handling DDR333

- AliMagik Rev C
- SiS745

Coming out next week or so

- VIA KT333

That gives enough time for all the mobo makers to prep their boards to handle Athlon at 2*166FSB prior to the March launch of T-bred.

It will be a ashame if it doesn't happen with T-bred but surely it is guaranteed for Barton.

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek:

FatBurger

Illustrious
What's a gigolo, anyway?

Well, you see...when two people love each other very much, and- no, that's no good.

There's this field of flowers, and the bees are pollinating them, and the birds are- no, that's no good either.

Ask your mother.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Traditionally, a "kept man", used by wealthy women for sexual favors. The term is often misused to mean "hetorosexual male prostitute", but actually refers to a man who lives off women.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
What a great job I always thought. Where do I apply for training and career reassignment? Also, will the boss give me a note to explain things nicely for my wife?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
lol... how the hell did my post change from 166fsb to gigolo's...

im thinkin you had to do much more than my hamster in order to get fredi's favour to change your title ;)

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Poobah, the reason is simple.

By supporting 166fsb they only increase costs(having to make cpus which differ from the others increasing stock and unsaleable chips) and decresing available platforms.(imagine if they released tbred at 166fsb only, many many older mobos would not be able to run them) this is bad.

By releasing tbred at 266 they will ensure that all mobos are compatable and that those who wish to oc the fsb can.(unlocking an axp is not terribly difficult, far better than intels locking meathod, wouldnt you agree?).

Having it at 266 dosent hurt anything, because those who care know how to fix the issue easily, and those who dont care, would not be able to deal with the increased difficulty of choosing the proper tbred to purchase.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Point.

and then later, if they want to, they can rebadge the thouroughbred (breadie) as a High performance model, i.e. as what happend when the athlon C first came out, or the tully256/512 scenario, and sell what is basically the same chip for a considerable premium.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
can I be "forum monkey"? How do I earn that. *grin*

Trusting every aspect of our lives to a giant computer was the greatest thing we ever did -Homer

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't think Fredi needs a monkey on his back. Maybe you could be the forum Monk? Nah, that would start a religious debate. Tell you what, you can be the Forum Eunic, you know how to earn that?

What's the frequency, Kenneth?