Sign in with
Your question

166FSB + thouroughbred :(

Last response: in CPUs
January 14, 2002 9:08:16 PM

from all reports im reading, thouroughbred WONT have official 166(333)fsb support :( 

why are they doing this???

333fsb is easily achievable at the moment (abeit with the right overclocking/chipset/PCI dividers), and a new host of motherboards are comming out soon that support DDR333. unfortunately it seems, spec's for the new chipsets say they still only officially support 200/266fsb, thus the extra bandwidth of PC2700 would essentially be wasted in a asynchronous setup :( 

sure one could overclock, but its getting harder to do that from the days of athlon and the "pencil trick", and it would be alot better to have official support

why???
AMD could easily have lots more performance for essentailly no cost.

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :) 

More about : 166fsb thouroughbred

January 14, 2002 9:50:38 PM

LHGPooBaa, don't worry, the IWill XP333 supports FSBs all the way up to 400MHz. Get the fastest RAM you can find (PC3000, is currently the fastest, I believe, unless you can find PC3200), and run your FSB at 400MHz, you'll have an Athlon system with the highest IPC without overclocking your PCI/AGP bus!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
January 15, 2002 3:01:42 AM

If the Thouroughbred has a heat spreader I'll be happy.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 15, 2002 6:30:29 AM

If the Appaloosa has a 266FSB and 64/64L1,128L2 I'll be happy.

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek: 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 15, 2002 8:20:07 AM

I'll take the cheapest "266" version I can get and overclock it to "333" or more.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
January 15, 2002 10:42:21 AM

Lol, Crash is a Forum Gigolo! What's a gigolo, anyway?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
January 15, 2002 11:47:08 AM

Ohh yeah baby, nice title - probably worse than nimble knuckle and going to take a lot more posts to get off....

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu
January 15, 2002 11:50:40 AM

Well, like people say, there are several boards out there that already support 166FSB+ without putting PCI/AGP out of spec, 1/5 and 1/6 dividers.

Also, what is to stop AMD releasing an official 166/333FSB thoroughbred later, like the 100/200->133/266 Athlon? At the very least they need to keep both FSBs available due to the number of 133/266FSB motherboards out there that won't support 166/333FSB....

January 15, 2002 11:56:40 AM

Already out handling DDR333

- AliMagik Rev C
- SiS745

Coming out next week or so

- VIA KT333

That gives enough time for all the mobo makers to prep their boards to handle Athlon at 2*166FSB prior to the March launch of T-bred.

It will be a ashame if it doesn't happen with T-bred but surely it is guaranteed for Barton.

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek: 
January 15, 2002 3:24:20 PM

Quote:
What's a gigolo, anyway?

Well, you see...when two people love each other very much, and- no, that's no good.

There's this field of flowers, and the bees are pollinating them, and the birds are- no, that's no good either.

Ask your mother.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 15, 2002 3:35:44 PM

Some of us like being used by women for sexual favors! Especially when we get to choose the women, and get paid!

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 15, 2002 3:37:06 PM

Ah, but for us overclockers, the "266" version having the overclocking ability to use "333" without unlocking the CPU seems like a good thing!

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 15, 2002 3:41:01 PM

Traditionally, a "kept man", used by wealthy women for sexual favors. The term is often misused to mean "hetorosexual male prostitute", but actually refers to a man who lives off women.

January 15, 2002 8:05:21 PM

What a great job I always thought. Where do I apply for training and career reassignment? Also, will the boss give me a note to explain things nicely for my wife?

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 15, 2002 8:55:34 PM

LOL.

January 15, 2002 9:06:00 PM

lol... how the hell did my post change from 166fsb to gigolo's...

im thinkin you had to do much more than my hamster in order to get fredi's favour to change your title ;) 

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :) 
January 15, 2002 9:12:46 PM

Poobah, the reason is simple.

By supporting 166fsb they only increase costs(having to make cpus which differ from the others increasing stock and unsaleable chips) and decresing available platforms.(imagine if they released tbred at 166fsb only, many many older mobos would not be able to run them) this is bad.

By releasing tbred at 266 they will ensure that all mobos are compatable and that those who wish to oc the fsb can.(unlocking an axp is not terribly difficult, far better than intels locking meathod, wouldnt you agree?).

Having it at 266 dosent hurt anything, because those who care know how to fix the issue easily, and those who dont care, would not be able to deal with the increased difficulty of choosing the proper tbred to purchase.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 15, 2002 9:17:20 PM

No, unlike Fatburger, I don't ask Fredi for favors. I earned this title, just like you earned yours, faithfull poster.

January 15, 2002 9:29:24 PM

Eh? ok. how many posts is gigilo then?
*sighs* so tired of this life

January 15, 2002 9:37:50 PM

Quote:
No, unlike Fatburger, I don't ask Fredi for favors.

I didn't ask for favors either.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
January 15, 2002 9:45:28 PM

Point.

and then later, if they want to, they can rebadge the thouroughbred (breadie) as a High performance model, i.e. as what happend when the athlon C first came out, or the tully256/512 scenario, and sell what is basically the same chip for a considerable premium.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 15, 2002 10:09:40 PM

Look at the FAQ, post levels are easy to figure out.

January 16, 2002 1:17:35 PM

can I be "forum monkey"? How do I earn that. *grin*

Trusting every aspect of our lives to a giant computer was the greatest thing we ever did -Homer
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 16, 2002 3:37:53 PM

I don't think Fredi needs a monkey on his back. Maybe you could be the forum Monk? Nah, that would start a religious debate. Tell you what, you can be the Forum Eunic, you know how to earn that?

January 16, 2002 4:50:09 PM

Eunuch

January 16, 2002 10:42:53 PM

tempting but muh boys arn't going anywhere for awhile. How about simply "Forum Guy" :smile:

Trusting every aspect of our lives to a giant computer was the greatest thing we ever did -Homer
January 17, 2002 1:11:18 AM

Forum Hamster Lover?

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2002 1:39:15 AM

Good point, we don't need a Eunuch to protect the ladies anyway, there's a Gigolo in here to offer "additional services" beyond those!

January 17, 2002 1:58:19 AM

my hamster is lonely.
it needs a gigolo.

January 17, 2002 1:58:56 AM

Just a couple of comments in response to Matisaro. First, a 166 FSB version could run at a lower FSB just fine. Therefore, it would be just as backwards compatible as a 133 FSB version (think of Athlon C's 'underclocked' to run on KT133 chipsets). Also, I didn't think you needed to unlock the Athlon to overclock the FSB, the unlocking method is for upping the multiplier, or so that is how it has traditionally been. But as a marketing tool, a 133 TBred would be enough to justify many sales and a later 166 revision would cause more sales. Pretty simple formula.

Hard work often pays off in time, but laziness always pays off now.
January 17, 2002 3:11:56 AM

I know the 166fsb version would be compatable with the 133fsb, but its default multiplier would make chips put in 133 systems run slower, only caushing trouble for the uneducated consumer.

YOu do need to unlock the athlon to oc the fsb unless you also wish to overclock the cpu, and that is exactly my point.

January 17, 2002 6:09:41 PM

Quote:
YOu do<font color=red>n't</font color=red> need to unlock the athlon to oc the fsb unless you also wish to overclock the cpu, and that is exactly my point.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2002 6:23:52 PM

No, you <i>do</i> because to OC the FSB without OCing the chip you need to lower the multiplier.

AMD: Join the rebellion!
January 17, 2002 7:20:14 PM

You do need to unlock it burger, i think you are so intent on grammar correction you are missing the content of the statements lol.

January 17, 2002 8:02:53 PM

No, I thought you meant you had to unlock the multiplier to overclock the FSB. byanp is right, I realize now you meant that to overlcock the FSB past a certain point, you must lower the multiplier.

January 17, 2002 8:19:24 PM

Quote:
you much lower the multiplier

seeing as we're talking about grammar here...
much=must :wink:

[insert philosophical statement here]
January 17, 2002 9:00:39 PM

Quit trying to make me look like I can't type :wink:

January 17, 2002 9:04:39 PM

Would you guys stop talking about the FSB so we can get back to more important issues like discussing what the gigolo is going to do to that poor hamster.

!