• Quicktime
  • Video
  • Mac OS X
Last response: in Mac Os X
May 9, 2011 2:59:55 AM

How good is the VLC video player compared to Quicktime player? thanks

More about : vlc viewer quicktime player

May 9, 2011 3:56:29 AM

Roughly 1000 times better. Seriously quicktime sucks (too many reasons to list here).

VLC is also free open source software built on ffmpeg.
m
l
May 9, 2011 4:20:12 AM

VLC is a great program.

I use VLC and also MPC-HC from the K-Lite codec pack but most people would be happy with just VLC.
m
l
Related resources
May 9, 2011 4:23:18 AM

I've used dozens of media players over the years and if I were to rate them I would place Quicktime at the very bottom and VLC at the top. There are a couple of other players that I like for various reasons, but I put VLC at the top for its uncanny ability to play just about any file I have come across. Even if the file is broken, VLC often has the ability to fix it first.

---Max

m
l
May 9, 2011 4:27:27 AM

unfortunately MPC-HC and most other players are unavailable on OSX.
m
l
May 10, 2011 2:52:05 AM

skittle said:
Roughly 1000 times better. Seriously quicktime sucks (too many reasons to list here).

VLC is also free open source software built on ffmpeg.
Thanks for your answer.I am using VLC as of last night and why cannot I play these videos which is PBS through it? It says it is streamlining it but it does not really do it.What am i doing wrong?
m
l
May 10, 2011 3:30:23 AM

Can you post a link to the stream? Can anything else play it?
m
l
May 10, 2011 4:57:18 PM

Overall, VLC can play more file types. And of course, it is free.
m
l
May 11, 2011 2:56:03 AM

skittle said:
Can you post a link to the stream? Can anything else play it?
It is called Public Broadcasting Station.www.pbs.comThanks
m
l
May 11, 2011 4:35:48 AM

The only videos I see on PBS.org are flash based or require the quicktime browser plugin. Some videos on websites require that you use quicktime and there isnt much you can do about it.

But your on a mac and have quicktime by default so there should be no problem.
m
l
May 11, 2011 4:47:01 AM

I'd call VLC the swiss army knife of media players. It will run just about anything you throw at it, even if files are incomplete or corrupted.
m
l
May 12, 2011 3:16:48 AM

skittle said:
The only videos I see on PBS.org are flash based or require the quicktime browser plugin. Some videos on websites require that you use quicktime and there isnt much you can do about it.

But your on a mac and have quicktime by default so there should be no problem.
I tried using Quicktime Player and it does not work.I am a novice please explain how to load this properly.Thanks M
m
l
May 12, 2011 3:30:29 AM

What exactly are you trying to play? Saying its from PBS does not help. Post a *direct* link to it or we can not help.
m
l
May 13, 2011 2:14:08 AM

skittle said:
What exactly are you trying to play? Saying its from PBS does not help. Post a *direct* link to it or we can not help.
This is a show called Tavis Smiley which is streamed on PBS.Thanks
m
l
May 13, 2011 5:05:08 PM

:| I asked for a link... I dont know why this is so difficult for you!
Anyway I assume this is what you are talking about? http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/
If so these are flash based videos and must be watched from within your browser with adobe flash plugin.
m
l
May 14, 2011 3:33:23 AM

skittle said:
:| I asked for a link... I dont know why this is so difficult for you!
Anyway I assume this is what you are talking about? http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/
If so these are flash based videos and must be watched from within your browser with adobe flash plugin.

m
l
May 14, 2011 3:34:55 AM

These sucks as they still have not fixed the problem. That is the right link.I am using adobe 10.2 now.thanks
m
l
May 14, 2011 3:57:37 AM

musical marv said:
These sucks as they still have not fixed the problem. That is the right link.I am using adobe 10.2 now.thanks

I am able to watch those under linux and windows.
m
l
May 14, 2011 5:31:33 AM

The videos are also running fine on my macbook. Could it be a connection speed problem? Could it be an area restriction?
Have you watched these videos in the past?
m
l
May 15, 2011 2:27:53 AM

vz7 said:
The videos are also running fine on my macbook. Could it be a connection speed problem? Could it be an area restriction?
Have you watched these videos in the past?
It is not a ISP problem as I watch ABC News last night and the videos worked fine. Thanks
m
l
May 27, 2011 10:58:30 AM

MSNBC Hardball is Flash based. Do you have Adobe Flash installed?

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Adobe Flash is kind of controversial with the Mac crowd as it will enable all these annoying ads on the webpages you visit and reduce your battery life because of it's high CPU usage.
You may want to install "Click to Flash" as well so you can choose the Flash content you see on each website...

http://clicktoflash.com/

Good luck.
m
l
May 27, 2011 12:24:55 PM

VLC is the better player but of course, Quicktime plays iTunes purchases...
m
l
May 28, 2011 3:18:29 AM

diellur said:
VLC is the better player but of course, Quicktime plays iTunes purchases...
unfortunately I can use the VLC player when watching movies not live streaming or seeing other videos on different sites.
m
l
May 28, 2011 7:20:56 PM

musical marv said:
unfortunately I can use the VLC player when watching movies not live streaming or seeing other videos on different sites.

Yeah... thats the point of flash. They restrict you to watching the videos in the web browser.
m
l
May 29, 2011 2:45:44 AM

that sucks truthfully.Thanks anyway.
m
l
June 3, 2011 3:33:29 AM

Quote:
VLC is a great app, Free and normally can play many file type, though I have iFunia video converter to do converting for some complicated videos. Well, to me VLC is much much better than the quicktime~

It is good VLC but it still cannot play certain videos like WGBH Boston and MSNBC .I tried and it will not work. Thanks
m
l

Best solution

June 3, 2011 4:52:27 PM

musical marv said:
It is good VLC but it still cannot play certain videos like WGBH Boston and MSNBC .I tried and it will not work. Thanks

Thats because they are flash videos. The only way to watch these is through the browser with the adobe flash plugin. The same reason you cannot watch youtube videos through VLC or any other player.
June 4, 2011 1:07:55 PM

skittle said:
Thats because they are flash videos. The only way to watch these is through the browser with the adobe flash plugin. The same reason you cannot watch youtube videos through VLC or any other player.
Thanks My luck I only can watch through Flash which sucks sometimes.
m
l
June 5, 2011 3:40:27 AM

Best answer selected by musical marv.
m
l
!