3.5E Crafting and Component Costs?

lewis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2003

All,

Our group has never really done much crafting because we have been low
level but now we are getting to the point where we care about those
rules. However, we aren't sure about something. If I craft a Wand of
Identify, how much does it cost and how many 100 gp pearls are needed
to make the item? Basically we aren't sure if the material component is
provided at craft time, and if so, do you provide it once for each
charge? Or do you provide it once, and then the effect of the crafting
is that you have a wand with 50 charges?

Thanks in advance,

Lewis

lewis@lwb.org wrote:
> All,
>
> Our group has never really done much crafting because we have been low
> level but now we are getting to the point where we care about those
> rules. However, we aren't sure about something. If I craft a Wand of
> Identify, how much does it cost and how many 100 gp pearls are needed
> to make the item? Basically we aren't sure if the material component is
> provided at craft time, and if so, do you provide it once for each
> charge? Or do you provide it once, and then the effect of the crafting
> is that you have a wand with 50 charges?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Lewis

The feat description answers all these questions, but to summarize:

1. You set the cost based on caster level. There's no reason for that
particular
spell to set it higher than first, so your market price is 750 GP;
you'll pay half
that (375 GP) and 30 XPs.

2. To that you add 50 x 100gp pearls (5000 GP) for a grand total cost
to you
of 5375 GPs, 30 XPs, and 1 game day of time.

Of course, there' s a sneaky way around that extra 5000 GP cost. Have a
cleric of
Boccob with the Magic Domain create it instead of a wizard. The base
cost will be slightly
higher since Identify is a 2nd level spell for that person, but your
base price is then
4500 GP with no pearls needed, so your creation price is only 2500 GPs,
180 XPs,
and 5 days of time. If cash is an issue, that's over a 50% savings!

Some Guy wrote:
> lewis@lwb.org wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> Our group has never really done much crafting because we have been low
>> level but now we are getting to the point where we care about those
>> rules. However, we aren't sure about something. If I craft a Wand of
>> Identify, how much does it cost and how many 100 gp pearls are needed
>> to make the item? Basically we aren't sure if the material component is
>> provided at craft time, and if so, do you provide it once for each
>> charge? Or do you provide it once, and then the effect of the crafting
>> is that you have a wand with 50 charges?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Lewis
>>
> The feat description answers all these questions, but to summarize:
>
> 1. You set the cost based on caster level. There's no reason for that
> particular
> spell to set it higher than first, so your market price is 750 GP;
> you'll pay half
> that (375 GP) and 30 XPs.
>
> 2. To that you add 50 x 100gp pearls (5000 GP) for a grand total cost
> to you
> of 5375 GPs, 30 XPs, and 1 game day of time.
>
> Of course, there' s a sneaky way around that extra 5000 GP cost. Have a
> cleric of
> Boccob with the Magic Domain create it instead of a wizard. The base
> cost will be slightly
> higher since Identify is a 2nd level spell for that person, but your
> base price is then
> 4500 GP with no pearls needed, so your creation price is only 2500 GPs,
> 180 XPs,
> and 5 days of time. If cash is an issue, that's over a 50% savings!

Even better, have a Cloistered Cleric (from Unearthed Arcana) do it.
Cloistered Clerics get Identify at 1st level, so they pay 375gp+30xp to
make one :)

--
TP

TRENDING THREADS