Sign in with
Your question

After win7 update, win is asking to format my existing raid

Last response: in Windows 7
February 15, 2013 8:31:13 PM

After updating to win 7 ultimate 64bit from win xp 32bit, windows 7 is asking me to format my existing raid partitions (with data on it) before i can use them...(win is installed on different drive)

They do show up and working fine for about 5 - 10 minutes after reboot (fully functional i.e. write read ecs.), but then win 7 disconnects them, and " need to format before u can use them" message...

My controller is Silicon Image SiI 3114 SoftRaid 5 Controller on asus a8n-sli premium mobo, there is quite a bit of data on them, dont wanna loose it...

how do i solve this issue?

thank you in advance,

SIMisEK
a b $ Windows 7
February 15, 2013 8:52:18 PM

Hi :) 

IS it a legal Ultimate ?

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
February 15, 2013 9:06:31 PM

what type of RAID? if its RAID1, you could plug in a single drive in SATA mode instead of RAID and backup/copy your data to the OS and follow along... if you dont find any resolution that is
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 15, 2013 9:44:53 PM

I don't see win7-64 drivers for the controller on the Asus site. What drivers did you install?
m
l
February 15, 2013 10:16:34 PM

To Brett928S2:
The win 7 is legit and its fresh install, i have another sata drive connected and no messages about formating...Its not plugged to my raid array

To noidea_77:
Originally i tried to use Beta drivers that are on asus web site, but they didnt work, couldnt see my array at all, after running windows update, i choosed optional update with drivers for my silicon image controller and they worked

To jgutz2006: Using Raid 0, two drives working as one, with 4 partitions created on array, Originaly created on windows XP pro, same hardware

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2013 7:15:27 PM

So obviously the drivers work only partially. The controller recognizes the drivers, but the raid driver doesn't recognize the raid set information in the boot record. But there are driver for 7-64 on the sil page:http://www.siliconimage.com/support/
m
l
!