Sign in with
Your question

AXP 1800+/Asus A7V266-E heat issue

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2002 5:21:22 AM

I just built a computer with an Athlon XP 1800+ and an Asus A7V266-E motherboard. I'm running at 53C idle and 61C full load.

This is will an Enermax 431W power supply, a Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu HSF, Arctic Silver II, and a Lian Li PC60 case with all fans on high.

I seem to remember some Asus mobos reporting the temp 10 degrees too high. Is that my problem or do I have a major issue?

That's what you get for buying your computer based on <font color=orange>color</font color=orange>. :redface:
January 15, 2002 6:12:02 AM

You're not using a shim are you? They can sometimes cause problems by preventing good contact between the HSF and processor. Make sure you do have good contact between your HSF and the processor. After I put on a HSF, I look at it on edge with a flashlight so I can make sure the HSF is touching the processor die. And don't use too much Arctic Silver, it's just to fill in the cracks. Too much will prevent good contact.

The Volcano isn't the greatest HSF in the world, but it should be sufficient. Make sure the fan is blowing down on to the heatsink, rather than up. Are you plugging the fan into the motherboard or into the power supply? Sometimes the motherboard can't supply enough power to the fan, so the fan won't run at full speed. I bought a 3 to 4 pin adapter to run my fan off the power supply, and it has a plug for the motherboard so you can still monitor the speed.

If you're sure you did all that correctly, then perhaps it is a problem with the temp reporting. I had an Asus motherboard, different model, that seemed to run too hot and I always wondered if it was improper reporting. Unfortunately, I don't know an easy way to find out for sure.

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2002 7:43:53 AM

Just to let everyone know, I didn't use a shim.

It's possible that I used to much Arctic Silver, but I tried to follow the online instructions...

My CPU fan is supposedly running at 4720RPM.

That's what you get for buying your computer based on <font color=orange>color</font color=orange>. :redface:
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2002 7:46:26 AM

At what temperature should an Athlon XP processor stop working correctly (without doing damage). If nobody know if there is a bug in Asus's temperature reporting, I may try to raise my CPU temp to an unstable level (if it's stable than my mobo is off).

January 15, 2002 8:22:50 AM

I'm not sure about the XP, but I think the T'bird Athlon was rated for around 90C before damage occurs, although you'd never want to run it even close to that temp. Most people try to keep it below 50C, though I think you're still okay in the 50's. Like Matisaro says, if you aren't having any problems, then don't worry about it.

I don't know what kind of CPU fan you have, but mine runs at a little over 6800 rpm's. You may lower your temp a couple of degrees by increasing your fan speed by running it directly off the power supply rather than off the motherboard, if that's what you're doing. My fan speed used to be around 4800 when I ran it off the motherboard.

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>
January 15, 2002 9:29:24 AM

Frist off 61c fine. My amd athlon 1800 running at 67c full load. Problem with my system where it located. And I m dealing with it with a Reg fan blowing in the case. The amd athlon cpus are rated to 95c. What amd company told me if your computer is not locking up and running it fine. Dont worrie about it.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2002 6:55:58 AM

Okay. Well I'm overclocking it now. I am slowly stepping it up to find the exact megahert that I crash at.

I'm at a 143Mhz bus so my processor is running at 1643Mhz (110Mhz overclock). My max temp under load is now 63c.

I previously tried a 148Mhz bus but that was too fast. My processor would reboot after about 30 minutes using CPUBurn2. So I need to know a couple things. 1) Can I modify my A7V266-E's thermal protection? I'd like to turn it off or set a higher reboot temperature (maybe 70c). I'd like get it cool enough that my max overclocking speed is determined when my PCI devices plunge into instability and not when my CPU causes reboots.

I have a couple of ideas to deal with heat. I may check the Arctic Silver. I will also probably get round IDE cables. And I will move my two 7200RPM harddrives from the bottom HD bays (in front of the intake fans) to the upper 3 1/4" bays designed for floppies and zips.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2002 8:53:45 AM

One note that I want to add. I didn't realize the oddity of this until today, but:

My mobo temperature at full load is only 26C (78F). That's with a slightly OCed CPU that running at a scorching 61C.

How do you interpret that? I have sufficent case cooling but my HSF is insufficient (Volcano 6Cu). Or my case cooling is so bad that the hot air just sets on the CPU, not spreading anywhere.

As a reminder, my case comes stock with two intakes and an output fan, and my Enermax PSU has a fan too. But I have lots of IDE ribbons potentially blocking air flow (four of them) and two 7200RPM HDs sitting in front of my fans.

!