Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 Random Shutdown

Last response: in Windows 7
February 16, 2013 12:12:13 AM

Hello,
New to forum but have been reading for a while and seem a good group of people.

I've just installed Windows 7 on a barebone system.

Everything has been ok but 3 times in past day it has randomly restarted. Black screen and just reset.

I'm wondering if there is a hot fix or a reason why it is doing it. Its a brand new PC and surely I can't have that bad luck that the voltage to a device is wrong or I have faulty hardware already?

I have installed the CPU meter and the CPU never runs over 55% or the ram over 45%.

Please help ! Haha!
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2013 12:40:19 AM

As basic try check the ram..

using memtest for overnight...

check for the temperature and voltage while stressing with prime95 for CPU, furmark/heaven for GPU...
m
l
February 16, 2013 1:16:32 AM

Ok mate thank you for reply.

I have checked my CPU temp and it generally runs between 30c- 45c.

My fan is extremly loud until I went into the BIOS settings and turned it down. I'll give that a go for tonight.

Cheers
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2013 1:21:00 AM

What brand and model (not just wattage) is your PSU?
Please provide your system specs. What are the CPU and graphics card(s)?
m
l
February 16, 2013 9:29:44 AM

MB - A55M-P33
CPU - AMD A6-3670 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.7 GHZ Quad
Memory - Crucial 8gb DDR3 133mhz (4gb is used for graphics)
PSU - ZooStorm LPA-300c 300w
HDD - WD 2TB

I've ran memtest over night. No errors.

Been running prime 95 for 30 mins processor at 100% and it hasnt switched off and the RAM at 83%

Could i be right in thinking that it maybe the HDD? I had a problem installin windows because its an advanced format one from WD.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2013 9:35:59 AM

it your power supply the wattage is a little low. most of those cheap power supply cant output the max wattage under load and shut off. see if you can find a friend that has a better 500w unit.
m
l
February 16, 2013 9:59:31 AM

smorizio said:
it your power supply the wattage is a little low. most of those cheap power supply cant output the max wattage under load and shut off. see if you can find a friend that has a better 500w unit.

cheers mate hope its just that. ill go and get a 500w psu now.

if i was to upgrade my RAM to 12gb instead of 8gb think it would make much difference?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2013 1:47:25 PM

I too suspect the PSU. It isn't higher wattage you need, it's higher quality. With no dedicated graphics card, a good 200W PSU would be sufficient. Likely the cheap one you have is missing filtering components, so any kind of line disturbance goes right on through.
More RAM won't make your system more stable.
m
l
February 16, 2013 5:38:47 PM

Onus said:
I too suspect the PSU. It isn't higher wattage you need, it's higher quality. With no dedicated graphics card, a good 200W PSU would be sufficient. Likely the cheap one you have is missing filtering components, so any kind of line disturbance goes right on through.
More RAM won't make your system more stable.

Got a good PSU today 700w ( it was only ten pound more than lower spec) and also bought 8gb of ram. When I installed both the problem got even worse.

I hve now tried removing both my old 4gb sticks of ram(8gb in total) and replaced with the new one stick of 8gb ram and system has been stable now. No restart or black screen on loading of program's.

So weird. Maybe there was a problem with the two sticks??
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 17, 2013 10:38:56 AM

It could be...

had u test it with memtest overnight?
just install one stick of ram at one time and boot from memtest86, run the test couple of cycles (3+ or leave overnight).... it could detect if there a bad stick of ram...

sometimes I'm too lazy, so I just leave all ram stick installed testing and go to bed... :D 
(the bad side, it will make harder to detect faulty)

anyways, looks like everything run fine now... (glad to hear it) :D 
February 24, 2013 7:37:22 PM

Best answer selected by anthonychall.
m
l
!