Athlon Xp 1800+ bios settings

Hrqls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
hi,

due to the posts i read here i bought an Athlon Xp 1800+ cpu, Asus V70 mobo and 2x 256 Mb DDR memory.

but now comes the problem ... in the bios i can set a factor and a frequency for the cpu.
(if i understand it correctly)

whats the best factor and speed to set it to.
the max at which it seemed to be stable was at 12.5 x 150/38
(this gave me 300 Mhz and 1725 Mhz)
but today that showed to be unstable as well.

i have a 300W power supply and so far there is no overheating (the temp stays shown in the bios stays around 20 degrees celcius)

can someone please tell me the most advanced settings
(and when you have some more time explain me the deeper details :))

thnx in advance

<i>Men forget, but never forgive. Women forgive, but will never forget.<i>

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I'd say the most advanced settings are whatever you can get to run stable without overheating your processor. Keep in mind that when you run the FSB at 150MHz rather than the stock 133MHz, that you're running your AGP and PCI devices way out of spec, which puts a lot of strain on them. Just something to keep in mind. And if you have regular PC2100 RAM, it may not like running at 150MHz either.

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>

Hrqls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
ah thanks, thats something very useful .. i always wondered what the 150 and 38 stood for in 150/38.

i will stay at 133 then i think (at least for the time being :))

what about the factor ? what difference does it make if i use 12.5 instead of 11.5 ? (the safe setting the systems returns to after it broke down)

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Unless you have an unlocked processor, I don't think you'll be able to change the multiplier. It should automatically be set at 11.5 for the XP 1800+ I believe. Then if your FSB is set to 133 your processor should be running at 1.53 GHz. As far as I know, the XP processors do not come unlocked. You'd have to perform minor surgery in order to connect the L1 bridges and unlock it in order to be able to change the multiplier. If you want to overclock you'll have to do it by changing the FSB.

Hrqls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
at the mobo i set a jumper so that i could change the multiplier (according to the manual of the mobo)

in my bios i can now chose out of a whole range of multipliers .. of which the highest are 11, 11.5, 12, 12.5

it ran with 12.5 and 150/38 for some time ... at least it booted and i could fdisk.
then it crashed :)

the 1533 Mhz is a standard which i can chose as well in the bios (manual / 1.1 Ghz / 1.5 Ghz)
i think i will stick with that for the time being.

do you have any other tips ?
(what does the '38' mean in 150/38 ?)

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The 38 is the PCI/ AGP bus speed. While it is true that it strains the PCI and AGP components, it isnt quite as high as most people exagerate it to be. If you really want to get the highest overclock with the least amount of effort, try increasing the FSB (the 133 or 150 number) a couple of MHz at a time each time testing to make sure it is stable under a full CPU load in Windows. Once you reach a point where it isn't quite as stable, try increasing the CPU core voltage (VCORE) just one notch (should be .005 V). If this allows you to then run stable, you can try to increase the FSB a little more. But be wary that each time you increase the VCORE, your CPU will run a little hotter, so keep an eye on that and decide what is too hot and stay under that. Other than that, its just a repeat process until you find the maximum speed that will run under full stability. Good luck and don't try to be too ambitious, any overclock is better than nothing at all.

Hard work often pays off in time, but laziness always pays off now.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Make sure your confident about what your doing before you start messing with VCORE and/or unlocking the clock divider. If I were you I wouldn't overclock at all until you do some very thorough reading of your manual, forums, etc. I'm not saying your incapable, I just don't want to see you fry your processor. Or do like I do and use the system for a year before you overclock. That way you won't risk your currently high-end system for a few frames/sec in the benchmarks. Just wait until your debating on upgrading- THEN try overclocking to extend your computers usefullness...

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
That's pretty good advice from Flyboy. I mean, what are you doing that you need to overclock a system like that for? It should run everything really fast at stock settings. Try it out for awhile and see how you like it. Then if you feel that it's just not fast enough, try to overclock it some. I have an XP 1900+ system and honestly, there's no need to overclock it with today's games and applications. The only reason I overclock is to increase my scores on synthetic benchmarks, and then I set it back to stock settings for everyday use.

Hrqls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
*nod*

thats what i thought as well ... but i didnt know the stock settings :) (now i know the 1800+ is 1533 MHz)

thanks for the advice.

this forum rocks (because of its posters of course :))

Hrqls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
thanks! (i am too curious sometimes :))

i didnt even know i was overclocking already (i thought i needed to adjust the vcore for that, which i kept normal) :)

i wondered if i was 'unclocking' when i would go below the 12.5 x 150/38
but i will stick to the 'neutralclocking' of 11.5 x 133/.. :)

i think i will love the speed already .. and will play with it a bit more when i am bored with it (in about a year?)

thanks for the explanation!
(saved it for later use :))