Should one really buy an XP2000+ now ?

AMD_Flinkster

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
hi all.
The athlon xp 2000+ is the last .18um cpu to be made by AMD I believe, next coming is the TBred(.13).
I mean will current boards work with the tbred without underclocking it ? i dont think so because KT333 is being released.
Intel ,on the other hand, will stick with the NW core for a relatively 'long' period of time becuase it has just been released.
I am pro-AMD but i think buying an 2000+ now is the wrong move.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I mean will current boards work with the tbred without underclocking it ? i dont think so because KT333 is being released.

Yes, absolutely. Palomino chips work on boards that were designed with Tbird in mind, no? Northwood chips work on boards that were disigned with Willamette in mind, no?

The KT333 will run the memory at 166(x2), not necessarily the CPU. The rumor of Thoroughbred running on a 166 FSB is just that, a rumor.

Intel ,on the other hand, will stick with the NW core for a relatively 'long' period of time becuase it has just been released.

And so AMD will stick with the Palomino core for a relatively 'long' period of time because IT has just been released. And AMD will stick with the Thoroughbred core for a relatively 'long' period of time once it has just been released.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

AMD_Flinkster

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
Well actually yes, palminos will work on motherboards designed for tbird seamlessly, or with a bios update in some cases. With intel , on the other hand, changing to northwood means changing your board once again (to 850MD).

All I meant is that AMD makes the absolute most of the current architecture before moving on to the next, but now with the 2000+ it has reached the ceiling for this one. It will be better to wait for the new architecture cpu's to come ( Tbred ).

Intel, will also stick to the northwood for some time because it is the newer architecture now, but im sure that once they can switch to 0.09um, they will without taking .13um to the limit like AMD did with .18um.

See my point ?

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
i think those were rhetorical questions fatburger was asking... i could have sworn as long as the mobo is using a 487 socket, you could pop a NW in there, maybe a bios update is all that's needed at the most. and it's sort of comparing apples and oranges. intel is on a "new" tech, amd is still on their "old" tech. of course nw is going to be around longer and supported more than the athlons. any newer board that's out there will support the thoroughbred.
All I meant is that AMD makes the absolute most of the current architecture before moving on to the next, but now with the 2000+ it has reached the ceiling for this one. It will be better to wait for the new architecture cpu's to come ( Tbred ).
didn't you just answer your original question?

[insert philosophical statement here]

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ok, let me try to clear some things up.

First, the XP 2000+ isn't a good price/performance option at the moment. If that's what you're saying, I agree.
It can be upgraded to Thoroughbred though, so it's a decent future buy. No need to completely put off building a system just because of Thoroughbred.

Second, Northwood CPUs will work in any socket 478 motherboard.

Yes, I see your point in terms that AMD will take advantage of everything possible before moving on. This helps keep prices low, but slows the advance of technology. Thankfully, Intel and AMD are keeping each other in check to some extent (AMD lowering Intel's prices, Intel pushing AMD along technologically).

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>