problems! we don't need no stinking problems....

paleblueeyes

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
Here is the system I'm thinking about putting together, let me know what you think and any problems i might run into:

epox 8kha+/axp 1700/volcano 6--$250 from local shop
mini tower atx case w/2 fans--$60 from alpha int'l business
256mb nec pc2100 ram--$70 from alpha int'l bus.
seagate 40gig 7200rpm hd--$85 from local shop
eagle gf2 ti 64mb ddr vid. card--$85 from local shop
52x sony cd-rom, 1.44 teac floppy, logitech kb/mouse bundle, speakers all from newegg $95

Let me know what you think....

...so i got that goin' for me

FatBurger

Illustrious
No sound card?

You're getting some good prices, you'll be happy with that system.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I like the motherboard and processor.

atx mini tower: Need more info

Volcano 6 HSF: should be okay if you're not going to overclock. If you are, you may want something a little more robust.

NEC RAM: I don't know how good NEC RAM is. If you're going to push your RAM with overclocking or CAS settings, you may want to go with Corsair, Kingmax, or Crucial.

Seagate HD: should be okay, if 40GB is enough for you.

GF2 Ti video card: not bad, depending on what games you want to play

52x Sony cd-rom: I'd probably go with a CD-Writer. You can find the TDK VeloCD 16/10/40 online for around $99. Or you can get a good DVD drive for even less than that.

Sound??

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>

paleblueeyes

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
sorry, should've mentioned that i have a sony cd-rw 16x8x32 that i'm pulling from my existing system
as far as sound, should i upgrade from what the board comes with?

...so i got that goin' for me

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
That motherboard has AC97 sound, so I'd recommend some kind of add-in sound card.

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I wouldn't get a mini case, or at least make sure when you install your mobo you can still use the large bays for cd rom and such. I got 4 bays and the bottom one unusable because anything I want to put in there would hit my mobo. Bummer, still tricked out the case and might sell it one day. :)

Bigger is better, might trade it for my dad's full alpha case (the one with 4 double wheels). It was mine but then I decided to build a small case for space saving. Sometimes I'm so stupid.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red> ;)

svol

Champion
Yep, a lot of cases have that irritating problem, with my old case my CDROM in the lower bays also hit the motherboard. Luckly I have a Big Tower now, I use all of my 5 bays (3 CDROM's, 5.1/4" FD, DigiDoc5), but I had it mod it to get it accepting 4 HDs.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .